Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

davedanon wrote: »
    Be fair. The man was in no condition on the day.

BB knows I wouldn't slag him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

BB knows I wouldn't slag him :D

*shag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That too

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great run considering the internal challenges.

Wish I didn't read report while eating my dinner though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done D. Sounds like you had to really dig deep, does not sound like a pleasant race at all. Fair play and congrats on the PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done Dom for gutting it out (no pun intended) on the day, shows how much is in the tank still. You thinking of an Autumn spin? Myself and the good wife are doing Berlin 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cheers Shane and belated congratulations, the pictures looked amazing.
    How does saying 'the good wife' feel ;)?
    May have an invite to do a 'tourist' marathon later in the year, won't be pb chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Congrats on that result, amazing you were able to get through it at all in those circumstances, never mind a PB!

21.04.16 Wicklow 5k Champs 17:03, 1st M45, 7th overall

Strange one for me, debated in my head whether it was a wise decision to run or not, was caught in 2 minds to run conservatively or see how the race developed. Kind of fell between 2 stools on the evening of the race, left my Saucony Endorphins at home as running on those during marathon recovery would not have been wise and elected for the A6 instead.

Cracking evening in Ashford, sunny, but not too warm, with a chilly northerly breeze which would be against on the 1st half of this out and back course. Got a short warm up done, a few strides which felt alien, a chat with club mates and rivals and felt pretty relaxed as I made my way to the start with just north of 60 easy miles in my legs since Manchester and a similar amount of beers! Was feeling like I am recovering, if not quite recovered and the quad tightness went after 3-4 days.

Usual frenetic start, but then the race settle down to an easy (cagey) pace, a bit too easy, but this really suited me, Fionnuala tiptoed past me at about 1.5k an amazing sight up close. 3:30 and 3:28 for the first 2k and I kept the effort levels up to sit just of the back of the group taking some shelter from the breeze.

We turn just after halfway and the race heats up for real, I'm running alongside Abhainn who is using this a tempo effort for London and we go through 3k in 10:31.

The last 2k are favorable with a breeze from behind and a marginally favorable elevation. I sense an M45 rival dropping off the lead group and my conservatism goes out the window, get an encouraging shout from Abhainn and I'm on my way. The 4th is 3:21 and I've just moved into 1st place in my age group. The 400m to go sign is welcomed with the finish line just out of sight around the bend. I ramp up the pace with short lived aspirations of closing on the 2 Parnell runners ahead, but the 400m sign sparked a similar lift in pace from them.

Was surprised to see 17:03 and hear 17:03 being called, with a final split of 3:12, maybe sub 17 was there for the taking or maybe I would have detonated if I went harder earlier. Anyway, in a good place, glute a little tight again, but loosened on my recovery run this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A good sign that all the marathon training has paid dividends, well done. Are you planning on tackling the shorter distances? I would think that after 10-12 of 5k training you would destroy that promising time.

A word of caution though (!). I know you didn't get the result you wanted (and deserved) in Manchester but make sure to recover still. Only another 10-12 days easy running for me. Pain!

• Advertisement

A good sign that all the marathon training has paid dividends, well done. Are you planning on tackling the shorter distances? I would think that after 10-12 of 5k training you would destroy that promising time.

A word of caution though (!). I know you didn't get the result you wanted (and deserved) in Manchester but make sure to recover still. Only another 10-12 days easy running for me. Pain!

Cheers, I normally bounce back pretty quickly after a marathon and the reduced pace at the end of Manchester wasn't due to fatigue or bonking. Having said that I'm only running very easy, no sessions, but might chuck a shorter controlled race in every few weeks just to keep the flame burning, last night felt more like a 2k race and coincidentally the shape of the race suited me.

Clocked up my 20,000 mile since returning to running in 2008 during my lunch time run - time for a trade in?

25971897223_40195ac1d2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm both impressed at the 20,000 number and scared that you knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    21.04.16 Wicklow 5k Champs 17:03, 1st M45, 7th overall
    No mention of the fox? Meh.. Skipping over the important details.

No mention of the fox? Meh.. Skipping over the important details.

Thought I had ;)

I'm both impressed at the 20,000 number and scared that you knew it.

483691_10200461505374504_2062968752_n.jpg?oh=708071077d69e3b4ee916cb1c719a8e3&oe=57B187A0

27101176741_0d9c6493d5_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

27101176741_0d9c6493d5_o.jpg

That's impressive for an aul lad!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Nice one - if I remember rightly you had another big chunk before that with just the one day off ?

kit3 wrote: »
    Nice one - if I remember rightly you had another big chunk before that with just the one day off ?

One 'rest' day since Sept 10th

• Advertisement

2018 The Year In Review

Targets

Training
    Run every day, once I was enjoying it and it wasn't doing any damage
    Complete, just racked up 505 consecutive days earlier today, thankfully no running-related injuries, just the odd niggle
    Run 3k miles for the 6th consecutive year
    3,074, mainly down to running every day and doubles

Time
    Sub 5 mile
    5:02.0 Never trained specifically for this; ran a tired mile in the gradeds in the middle of 5k training [5:07.96] an indoor one at the NIA earlier this month 5:05.55 and an outdoor 5:02.0, 3 days later, which was an M50 PB Will treat the distance with respect net year and give it a rattle
    Sub 10 3,000m
    9:54.52 Managed this both indoors [9:54.52] and outdoors [9:58.04]
    Sub 17 5k
    16:50 Went chasing this all summer, got close (sub 17:10) on several occasions, but conditions were never favourable. Did manage it eventually earlier this month with a 16:50.

Competitive (AG)
    Leinster Indoor 3,000m
    1st based on strength rather than speed, had a fall at the end of Jan, so training was changed to mainly treadmill tempos and strides
    National Indoor 3,000m
    2nd was glad of the snow and an extra week to train, knee still sore, but felt sharper and finished strong
    National 5,000m
    2nd Tactical first couple of k, was always a battle for 2nd, more of a grind than any fireworks
    Open Autumn XC
    Went into this with a heavy cold and cough and underperformed and XC isn't my strength, felt like an opportunity lost

Overall happy with how the year has gone, rinse and repeat for 2019 and keep pushing back those circles for another year.
    2 of my 3 fastest 5ks (my most frequently raced distance) in the last 11 years have come this month, so positive signs.

HNY All

2019 The Year In Review - dejavu

Targets

Training
    Run every day, once I was enjoying it and it wasn't doing any damage
    Complete, just racked up 870 consecutive days earlier today
    Run 3k miles for the 7th consecutive year
    3,027 miles completed

Time
    Sub 5 mile
    Ran 2 in December off winter training 5:07 and 5:06, need to put this to bed next year.

Sub 10 3,000m
    9:53 in Armagh, cracking night, on a 7 year sub 10 streak.

Sub 17 5k
    16:50 After a summer slump, made some changes and ran 16:54 in Rathfarnham and 16:50 in the Clonliffe 5k a few days a go.

Competitive (AG)

Leinster Indoor 3,000m
    2nd in 10:01, bit of a flat performance.

National Indoor 3,000m
    Picked up a niggle, so decided against racing

National 5k outdoor
    2nd more down to weak competition.

National 5,000m
    2nd, off my best, but off a fast finish to take 2nd.

Open Autumn XC
    XC isn't my thing, but you can't miss this one, ended up as an unused 2nd reserve.

Optimistic for 2020, medium term plan is to try and hold performance level into my next AG in a few years time.

HNY All

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What about Griffith Ave mile? Didn’t you come close there?

Murph_D wrote: »
    What about Griffith Ave mile? Didn’t you come close there?

5:00, but downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Happy new year Dom.

Looking forward to a few more head to heads in 2020

dna_leri wrote: »
    Happy new year Dom.

Looking forward to a few more head to heads in 2020

Cheers, catch you out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sub 17 5k
    16:50 After a summer slump, made some changes and ran 16:54 in Rathfarnham and 16:50 in the Clonliffe 5k a few days a go.

HNY BB

A great year methinks.

You mention some changes above - care to elaborate a bit more??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

HNY BB

A great year methinks.

Pre-christmas delivery of 'mobile-phone cases'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

davedanon wrote: »
    Pre-christmas delivery of 'mobile-phone cases'.

Race pics suggest this may be true. ;)

• Advertisement

I've used a methodology in recent years that has worked pretty well for me.
    Build up phase with lower intensisty longer intervals, race specific interval work, a few sharpener sessions/races and I can ususally progress my times over a set period.
    This summer that just didn't work out, where I ran 17:27 in May, 17:24 in July and 17:26 in Aug, so time for a change.

I contacted a coach that had been recomended and whom I researched.
    Had a lab test done and handed over my full time training to a coach for the first time since I was a juvenile.
    Program is based on year round fitness, with very little tapering, race week will get adjusted, I decide when I want to race, re-testing happens every 16 weeks.

I'm enjoying the change, it's hard work, there's an extra level of acountability and the interaction is way beyond my expectaions.

Shoes: Yes I picked up a pair of Black Friday VF Next%.
    Jury is still out for me on their suitability for 5k, but being a shoe geek I had to eventually relent.
    I wore them in the SoW5k St. Stephen's Day, I ran 5 seconds slower than last year, they are twice the weight of my Reebok Run Fast Pro and maybe there is a period of learning you have to go through in finding the right gait to maximise the benefits.
    I did equal my Master's PB wearing them 3 days later, but I did run that race a little angry, looking to wright some wrongs from St. Stephen's Day.

Advertisement