Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Your footwear knowledge certainly puts you in a great position to evaluate the magic shoes, will be interesting to hear your views after getting more used to them and after a few longer races, perhaps. A couple of club mates today were also doubting their suitability for 5k races (and like you they'd had mixed results).

Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've used a methodology in recent years that has worked pretty well for me.
    Build up phase with lower intensisty longer intervals, race specific interval work, a few sharpener sessions/races and I can ususally progress my times over a set period.
    This summer that just didn't work out, where I ran 17:27 in May, 17:24 in July and 17:26 in Aug, so time for a change.

I contacted a coach that had been recomended and whom I researched.
    Had a lab test done and handed over my full time training to a coach for the first time since I was a juvenile.
    Program is based on year round fitness, with very little tapering, race week will get adjusted, I decide when I want to race, re-testing happens every 16 weeks.

I'm enjoying the change, it's hard work, there's an extra level of acountability and the interaction is way beyond my expectaions.

Shoes: Yes I picked up a pair of Black Friday VF Next%.
    Jury is still out for me on their suitability for 5k, but being a shoe geek I had to eventually relent.
    I wore them in the SoW5k St. Stephen's Day, I ran 5 seconds slower than last year, they are twice the weight of my Reebok Run Fast Pro and maybe there is a period of learning you have to go through in finding the right gait to maximise the benefits.
    I did equal my Master's PB wearing them 3 days later, but I did run that race a little angry, looking to wright some wrongs from St. Stephen's Day.

Very interesting to hear your new approach Dom. Reckon the log should be rekindled on the back of that!!

(As a very flaky logger myself I dont fail to see the irony of my above request!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Be a shame not to pop in and mark the occassion

96142139_10220510374383699_8633897361845780480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=-zAjMAXnrUkAX-_82AK&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=55484e06d10e20dfd0922f0e57008c51&oe=5EDD54CE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That’s pretty incredible no wonder you have so many shoes :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Well done on that milestone Dom, its a good achievement.

What was the best thing about doing it? What was the worst? Will you keep going? (for 10,000 :p)

• Advertisement

Well done on that milestone Dom, its a good achievement.

What was the best thing about doing it? What was the worst? Will you keep going? (for 10,000 :p)

Have you not been perma banned from here yet?

What was the best thing about doing it?
    Firstly, never intended to go to 1k, I've always had a few streaks going and this one just started after I returned from watching the World Athletics Championships in London. Once I got close to 365 that was tempting, then not missing a day in 2018, then getting to 2 years, it grows on you. It brings discipline, it's habitual and it develops a resiliance to niggles, etc. Thankfully there has only been a handful of occasions where I really didn't want to run or was very fatigued and I would just run early one day and late the next to give me 30+ hours between runs, or a couple of easy days usually allows me to bounce back.

What was the worst?
    Probably could have bounced back earlier from some injuries/niggles, but who knows.
    Travel with work in particualr is difficult, it means very early runs and long days in the office, fine for the occasional day, day 4 over in the US you begin to feel it.
    Edit: And, getting strange looks doing laps of the short term car park in JFK.

Will you keep going?
    The plan I follow is 9/10 runs, 7 days per week, I'll run tomorrow, more than likely on Monday (twice) and Tuesday is a session day so can't miss that :P.
    In all likelihood I'll follow the same approach, if I'm still enjoying my running and I'm not doing any damage, let's go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Fair play Dom, that's some achievement.
    Was the jfk car park the weirdest one?
    Which run was furthest from home?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Fair play Dom, that's some achievement.

It was unexpected, I was due to get to my hotel in Austin mid-afternoon via Heathrow. It was the weekend of Storm Denis, lost the Heathrow slot so was rerouted through JFK, and wouldn't get to the hotel until midnight or later. Had enough time to take some gear out of my check in and pop in my carry on. Google JFK facilities in the hope of finding a PAYG Gym, I think I did find one in a hotel nearby, but opted for the superman change in the toilets and leave my bag in the short term baggage storage.
    Think it was 6 and bit laps to get 4 miles in :pac: did get some strange looks from some people sitting in cars waitng for passengers.
    I did do a 03:30 treadmill before a trip to Amsterdam, where I knew I had to go straight from the office to a meal out.

Boringly, Austin.
    I've had work ttrips to Brazil, Hyderabad and Casablanca cancelled since the beginning of March.

Advertisement