Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballad Sessions in Dublin

Options
  • 11-07-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anybody know where I'd find a GOOD ballad session in Dublin, preferably with some decent singers? Some great trad sessions around, but wouldn't mind a few ballads now and again. :)

I'm living in Dun Laoghaire at the moment, so anywhere thats accessible I'm willing to check out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

check out a Band called The DRUIDS where ever they play the fill and entertain. The Bands First Gig was the famous Johnny Foxes Pub in the Dublin Mountains

Can you stop that please. Your already putting me off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

fh041205 wrote: »
    Can you stop that please. Your already putting me off them.

Don't worry I'm sure he'll be banned soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

3 replies - I was getting excited! Sadly, still no info on a ballad session in Dublin. Good luck with the band Mickey, but this is not really the way to go about promoting it..

3 replies - I was getting excited! Sadly, still no info on a ballad session in Dublin. Good luck with the band Mickey, but this is not really the way to go about promoting it..

Sorry about that!
    Well his posts have all been deleted anyway, system works!

Back on topic, I have no idea but I'll see if I can find out any info for you.:)

That would be great. Thanks Paul. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry about that WD. If you ever find anything I'd be interested to hear too. I'll hopefully be living in Dublin for college after September.

Btw I'm going to leave my quote from our good friend up there. So we can remember the brief time we spent with him. *sob*:rolleyes:

fh041205 wrote: »
    Sorry about that WD. If you ever find anything I'd be interested to hear too. I'll hopefully be living in Dublin for college after September.

Btw I'm going to leave my quote from our good friend up there. So we can remember the brief time we spent with him. *sob*:rolleyes:

No problem. If I come across any I'll let you know.

C'mon the Drogs wha'! :)

If you don't find one why don't the two of you start your own? Sure thats what its all about!:)

Damn straight c'mon the Drogs. Best manager and best team spirit in the country atm. We could quite possibly qualify for Europe this year even though we were bottom for the first 16 or so games.

Unfortunately i'm not a singer myself. My dad is the one who wud have more of an interest in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭squelly

The Kozie, main street Dunlaoighre on Sundays from 6.30 to 9.00 have music.
    ballads and a bit of trad.

• Advertisement

Thanks Squelly. Seen those guys on Sunday. Pretty good, but they seem to be background music for people to talk over. :(

I'd also suggest that they bin the mando (not the player) and get a second guitar or a banjo.. Hope you're not one of the guys........ :o

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭squelly

Whiskey, turns out I am (one of the guys). Not saying which one

The sound system was not the best, would you agree??
    We plan to improve it somewhat. The banjo pickup went down on us also, will have it sorted for the next time.

thx for your comments

Great squelly. The sound wasn't brilliant, but it's far from the worst I've heard. It takes a bit of time to get it all together and it's good that you are working on it. I probably won't be along this Sunday, but I will drop in whenever I get a chance.

Fair play anyway - good to see somebody out there doing it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I know it's nowhere near you but St. Colmcille's G.A.A club in Swords have a session every Monday from 7:30 'till about 9:30.

Also Charlie and the Bhoys are playing there on the Saturday the 5th of September, if Celtic f.c. and Rebel music is what you are looking for.

celticbest wrote: »
    Also Charlie and the Bhoys are playing there on the Saturday the 5th of September, if Celtic f.c. and Rebel music is what you are looking for.

Aaaargggghhhh. That is all. Even the thought of it scares me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

what about this? http://www.goilin.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

flanum wrote: »

Not back until 4th September, looks like a good venue.

flanum wrote: »

Thanks very much flanum. I will check this out when it starts again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

Darkey kellys on Fishamble street d2 ,top of dame st at the back of the Dublin city council building,every sat and sun between 2 and 6.Great session and great craic and wash it all down with about 14 pints of stout.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sessionplayer

Hello WD,
    Try Cuala Gaa, Hyde Road, Dalkey. Every Wednesday 21.30 til late and most Saturdays 21.30 til late. Music & Songs. Welcome to join in anytime.
    Respect
    Sessionplayer

• Advertisement
Advertisement