Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gps advice

Options
  • 11-07-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi everyone, i do a bit of hill walking and know how to use map and compass although not fully confident in my navigation ability as yet. have been wondering about the gps units like the etrex and more modern ones. would be keen to buy one but dunno enough about them.

have been looking at previous threads about them on here but was wondering what people reccommend. i know mapping can be difficult for ireland. ideally i would like to be able to switch on a gps up on the side of lug or tonglagee etc and be able to see that i am at such and such a place.

i know i am rambling now, what i want is a gps that shows me on the screen on a map where i am in reasonable detail and colour preferably. will have map and a compass also.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Without being flippant, learn to use a map and compass to a high degree of ability.

GPS units are great in theory, but if you get caught in a deep valley or gully you may not get enough signal to navigate. If you have one as a backup, good, but I wouldn't advise having one as your primary navigation tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I agree with ElectronEng, you need to know how to use a map and compass.

I use a Magellan Explorist 500 all the time. I use Geolives mapping software to create routes and then load them up to the Magellan. Its very clever and works a treat. I recently used it on the Lug Walk and it was spot on every step of the way.
    AFAIK there is no hand held GPS on the market on which you can load an Irish map for hill walking.

Just bear in mind that you need to be aware of your actual location all the time. If your GPS fails you will need to be able to fall back on the map and compass and be able to figure out where you are and how to get back to civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dadthedad

thanks, will take advice on board. compass skills being honed as we speak!:)

Advertisement