Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for some c&c

• 11-07-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

hey everyone,

i am looking for some c&c for some of my pix. so far all i have to go on is family and friends tellin me what they think but, i would love to hear what you have to say and give me some advice on how to improve.
    good or bad let me have it :-)

so if anyone has the time visit my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/32finn

all advice is greatly welcome and thank you for taking the time to check it out.

cheers,
    les

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

First impression - google some tutorials for BW conversion, the presets don't serve your pictures well. And quite refreshing set of pictures you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

cheers thonda, thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Honestly, you have a hodge-podge selection of types and a mix of hit-and-miss images. I like the mono portraits, but in several of them (1, 2 and 3) I see burnt-out highlights. Are you using a direct flash for your portraits? Invest in a flashgun and diffuser, because it will pay for itself!

I do not like your landscape images. They are dull and either lacking in a spectacular background interest, or a contrasting foreground interest.

/elitistjerk

hey fenster, the three you are refering to were taken about 15 months ago. i was using a nikon f801 camera and some halogen lamps i had in the shed, think i had an sb28 on the camera also.
    the first two on the page were taken a few days ago usin just window light and i was just lucky to be in the room at the time.

cheers for the heads up on the landscapes

btw, no longer usin the f801 nor the lamps ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I think you have a nice set of shots there. Some better than others, but it's clear that you're still trying to find your preferred style (as am I!). You've a bit to learn from a technical point of view, but that's half the fun of photography.

My only advice is to steer clear of the post-process frames that you have on some pics. It detracts from the images for me. Other than that, it seems to me that you're enjoying it, and you clearly have a decent eye. Some of the portraits look terrific to my untrained eye.

hey spav, cheers for the comments. i agree i still have a lot to learn and thats what im hoping to achive from this, finding out what im doing wrong and what im getting right. as for my style i think its going to be people photography mostly ( i love candid shots ) and will prob do some dusk shooting also.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

Nice enough as pictures, but I'd humbly suggest:

* learn how to do BW conversions, and how to apply different types of contrast to low, mid and high tones. Photoshop is your friend.

* learn how to position people / place lights / use flash. Many of the portraits are very flat in tone, or the subject isn't positioned in the most flattering light, esp to illuminate eyes.

* think what message / story you want the image to convey. If you see something and think 'that's nice' well, frankly it's not stirring much emotion is it. Find things that are shocking, surprising, funny, unusual, unique, beautiful, ugly, weird and wonderful - ie things that evoke strong emotions and feelings.

keep taking pics.

hey eolair, thanks for the advice and tips, ill take all into consideration next time, cheers

Advertisement