Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card

Options
  • 11-07-2009 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I need a debit card or creditcard to book flights. Well my brother booked two flights for me. But for the last flight (air singapore) the person flying has to pay the the fare usising a credit/debit card in their own name. I am wondering what are the options..id prefer a debit card i can use online.
    Im a bank of ireland customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Join halifax.They have one with no extra cost !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

That was quick! Do bank of ireland have any options? I must ring them on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Halifax debit card will probably be the best for online use, as it's a Visa Debit. This means it can be used anywhere that accepts Visa credit cards (shops, online sites, airlines etc).

Laser/Maestro issued by the other banks (including BOI) has limited online acceptance, and you'll find few sites that aren't Irish which can accept them.

Thanks for that ill call in to them monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Ya, Visa Debit is the only way to go. The Irish Laser card is completely useless for online transactions usually unless you're flying with Aer Lingus or Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Visa Debit with Halifax is the best at the moment. You can use it online anywhere where Visa is accepted (which is most sites).

Does anyone know whether there are any plans to introduce Visa Debit with any other bank such as BOI in the future?

I did hear a rumour that Ulster Bank might go that way, but I think that's mostly based on the fact that RBS/Natwest (and most likely Ulster Bank in NI) are moving from Maestro UK to Visa Debit. I've seen nothing confirming that Ulster Bank here are planning to do the same and migrate from Laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Nothing has been confirmed yet - so don't post speculation as fact, please..

Opened an account with halifax today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

nice one. Halifax have not committed either way on their future, so I hope people don't stop opening accounts with them because of speculation. Laser cards suck. Also, I used my Visa Debit card to buy items in flight on Estonian air flight last week. They didn't take Mastercard or Laser. No surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

eire-kp wrote: »
    Opened an account with halifax today.

Sligo branch??....have an account there myself. Love the visa debit.

Ya the sligo branch allright.

Advertisement