Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random. Off topic and Broadcast Musing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

afatbollix wrote: »
    no setanta still have the rights.. which is a bit ****... Sure it will be on in the early hours of the morning.. so no one will be watching, Dident TV3 do highlights last time?

They won't if they aren't on the air. TV3 partnered Setanta for the Irish matches and AFAIK the finals with highlights of all other matches. (Irish matches have to be FTA). If DTT is about by 2011 Setanta doesn't need a partner, they can just unencrypt their signal for the games. of course that is if Setanta's Irish operations are still available.

Any reason as to why the Hub was axed?

I was at home during the week and notice my dad watching 3e. I asked whats on, he looked up and said that he didn't really know and wasn't paying much attention and "I think it is City Channel". So I saw the 3e DOG and said "No its 3e". My dad "Oh! I thought the were advertising the hotel, seems like one of those ads on city channel for a hotel".

That is product placement for you. Bit insulting to TV3 that their shows are similar to City Channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Was the 6 nations game from croke park done by RTE or the BBC? Anyone know what OB company they used?

high heels wrote: »
    Was the 6 nations game from croke park done by RTE or the BBC? Anyone know what OB company they used?

I think that BBC may be the broadcaster for 6 nations. There was a bit of a discussion about this since RTÉ our our national broadcaster. It could have been a BBC OBU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

high heels wrote: »

Stumbled into this thread. SIS do the majority of BBCs OB's.

• Advertisement

The Channel Debate

I find that the channel debates here on Cable and Digital TV are filled with some aspirations more than reality (I have no problem in feeding into that).

However to take some time out and to look at possible services on the Public Service Mux or FTA Mux or simply Saorview

The ones that are definite: -
    RTÉ 1
    RTÉ 2
    TV3
    TG4

The one that is most definite: -
    RTÉ News Now - However a proper schedule and the removal of the tickers in their current format is required.

RTÉ's possibilities: -
    RTÉ Three - Which is described as a mix of Archive and Sport. I would like to see it just repeat RTÉ's late night schedules in prime time, leave the archive and sports on RTÉ Two.
    The Den - No to the bilingual mix on The Den, while I do think the den and cula4 should run English and Irish programming I do think Children need the choice.
    RTÉ 1 +1 - I wouldn't be surprised if this does not happen, unfortunately some people would be interested :(

TG4's possiblities: -
    Cula4 - Their children's hours expanded to include Ponc and Pop 4.

The Acts possiblities: -
    IFB/BSÉ Channel - a proposed channel for European and Irish cinema from the Irish Film Board, this has been written in to law.
    Oirechtas TV (OTV) - coverage of the Oireachtas again witten into law.

TV3's possiblities:-
    3E to become FTA

I would like some of this in some shape or form. Lets forget about 3E for a moment and just focus on TV3 and the PSBs.

1. RTÉ One
    2. RTÉ Two
    3. TV3
    4. TG4
    5. RTÉ Three - Repeats of Late Night RTÉ One and Two
    6. RTÉ News Now with OTV
    7. IFB Channel with Cula 4 until 3pm (TnaG should run and support this with the IFB, their catelogue of Irish films and imports would suit, you cannot just have HibernoEuro content you must attract all viewers, no reason why "Let The Right One In" wouldn't be enjoyed by fans of "Scream".)
    8. The Den and BAI organised Community TV. (Schedule below)

6am to 6pm The Den
    6pm to 7pm Repeats of National programming from the BAI's Sound and Vision Fund
    7pm to 10pm Local Community Access TV opt outs
    10pm to 11pm (as 6pm to 7pm)
    11pm to 3am (as 7pm to 10pm)

Any extra channels provided by RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 should be done with minimal investment and should not effect RTÉ 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 quality. While TV3 is a commercial TV service sometimes I hope that they take on some PSB responsibilities.

So what is with all these managers? Well firstly most of them are probably Commissioning Editors and Executive Producers of which every "TV Unit" in RTÉ has at least 1 of each. Then they also have Development Officers and perhaps a Junior Commissioning Editor all of which are considered Management. This already makes for at least 48 "managers" within Television alone. The reason for all of these managers is due to the number of programmes commissioned by RTÉ from Independent Producers. So while RTÉ may directly have 1 manager for every 6 people in RTÉ they also indirectly have several other employees in other companies.

TG4 is also in this position since all of its programming comes from Independent Producers and RTÉ (bar Presentation). Of the 75 employees of the company I count 35 people who could be considered managers meaning they have 1 manager per person! Of course this statistic excludes all the people that TG4 employ indirect to make their programmes.

Channel 4 in the UK possibly find themselves in a similar position since they take programming from Independents only.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think after five years we can unstick and close

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement