Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem instaling xp for dual boot on vista machine

• 11-07-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I've had a search on this but no luck. I have created a new partition (d)mfor installing XP by using Disk management but when I restart the PC and boot from XP cd to install it on that drive I get a message saying no drive available. I can then restart back into Vista fine. Am I trying to install XP the wrong way?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Once you come to the screen where you can choose the partition to install on, then choose either the unpartitioned space or the new partition you created. Whatever you do, don’t try and install onto your Vista partition! See how much cleaner it is now that we’ve labeled each partition distinctly?

I've followed it until I get to this part above and then it doesn't give an option
    to install on D or even C (i know that's the vista one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

your xp disk may not have sata drivers ( which your vista machine may be built with)

if so, you will need to find xp drivers for your chipset, and 'slipstream' them into your xp disk, and then burn a new disk, and install from that.

use nlite to slipstream your drivers

if you have a pc with a floppy disk drive, and you can get the drivers onto a floppy disk, you should be able to load the drivers by pressing F6 or F8 when the xp disk is starting

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

can you see the two partitions when you restart before the restart with the xp disc

Advertisement