Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES VS Fifa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jiggawigga

I haven't played FIFA in years but some of the following things are stupid in PRO EVO...

1. The ball sticks to some players like glue, it's unrealistic.
    2. Why can't throw-ins just continue from where the play was?
    3. Why can't the keeper throw / kick it out instantly?
    4. The keeper kick outs are insanely inaccurate.
    5. When players slide tackle it takes far too long for them to get up again.
    6. If you are trying to win the ball back and you use computer pressure, the computer will usually slide tackle and get sent off on your behalf.
    7. When you get even a few yards into the oppositions half and tap long pass, you hit the ball with the strength of 10 men.
    8. Through balls are a joke. They are rarely strong enough to beat the last defender, unless you go ott.
    9. Free kicks / corners / penos - useless, although quite a tough design challenge.
    10. The keepers are WAAAAY too good at saving close range shots. Let them go in, more realistic and equal for both players anyway.
    11. The ref still sucks for slide tackles especially in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Why do people continue this stupid and futile argument?

It's a complete waste of time and effort - if you like FIFA then fair play to you, same goes for PES. No point in going on and on about one game being crapper than the other.

Imagine two guys in a bar arguing about the beer they are drinking being better than the other guys beer... this argument is that ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Correct. Its one of those things that its "horses for courses"

You either are a Fifa person or a PES person (im Fifa all the way:D).

Same as you either like the PS3 or Xbox (PS3 rules:D)

Its an aquired taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

PES uses the same 'arcade style' gameplay it always as. There isn't much of a realistic feel to the gameplay. FIFA now has that realistic gameplay (FIFA 09 and FIFA 10). I didn't even buy the last PES because 08 was such a let down. I don't plan on buying PES 10 either until I get a good long week of playing a rented version

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jiggawigga

Aye, back in the day there may have been some grounds for argument, maybe there was quite a large gap between the two gameplay or graphics wise. But it seems that recently they're both good. It's a silly argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

PES uses the same 'arcade style' gameplay it always as. There isn't much of a realistic feel to the gameplay. FIFA now has that realistic gameplay (FIFA 09 and FIFA 10).

:pac:. if you think scoring from midfield, 20 1v1's a game, referees constantly in the way and penalty like free kicks are realistic i suggest watching a real game sometime. ;)

both games have their pros and cons though. some people prefer burnout to gran turismo just like others prefer fifa to PES. different strokes.....etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Keyzer wrote: »

Imagine two guys in a bar arguing about the beer they are drinking being better than the other guys beer... this argument is that ridiculous.

How so? If he can back it up with some reasoned and sensible arguements than how is it ridiculous? There is an entire industry based around the tasting of alcohol and arguing the merits and quality based on the ingrediants, how it is made, etc.

When people argue over their favourite colour, there is no right or wrong answer because you can't really analyse reasons for it. Its just personal taste on which colour you like best for no logical reason.

Fifa and Pes is simply not horses for courses. This isn't a piece of art in a gallery that you cant quantify. Unlike your favourite colour, the Fifa and PES debate actually has facets that can be examined....the graphics, the physics, the sound, the game engine, the speed, the commentary, the online, etc. Direct comparisons can be drawn between the two.

You might prefare one over the other. But there actually is a right and wrong answer every year as to which is the superior game.

Its like a sports team. A fan might prefare his own team of say, Hull to any other team. But if you sit down and compare the starting line ups between say, Hull and Aston Villa there is a right and wrong answer to which is the better team.

The same applies here.

both games have their pros and cons though. some people prefer burnout to gran turismo just like others prefer fifa to PES. different strokes.....etc.

Thats a terrible comparison. Fifa and PES are both Football simulators.

Burnout is an arcade smash-em-up racer. Gran Turismo is a Simulation. They are worlds apart and are targeted at different demographics....the same way RPG's and Shooters are. The only commonality is that they have cars in them. It would be like comparing Madden to NHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Kirby wrote: »
    How so? If he can back it up with some reasoned and sensible arguements than how is it ridiculous? There is an entire industry based around the tasting of alcohol and arguing the merits and quality based on the ingrediants, how it is made, etc.

When people argue over their favourite colour, there is no right or wrong answer because you can't really analyse reasons for it. Its just personal taste on which colour you like best for no logical reason.

Fifa and Pes is simply not horses for courses. This isn't a piece of art in a gallery that you cant quantify. Unlike your favourite colour, the Fifa and PES debate actually has facets that can be examined....the graphics, the physics, the sound, the game engine, the speed, the commentary, the online, etc. Direct comparisons can be drawn between the two.

You might prefare one over the other. But there actually is a right and wrong answer every year as to which is the superior game.

No, there isn't. Technically, PES has better player-likenesses than FIFA this year. However, the weight you apply to this statement is purely subjective. Similar to proper names in FIFA, if you could give a sh!t about that issue, then that quantifiable attribute's value is next to nothing.

The superior game in technical terms does not mean the superior game overall. In the end, it IS horses for courses.

Take me, I don't care about licences for teams, stadiums [stadia?] etc. I do care about gameplay, development league structure and online. In my opinion, PES is the better game for these attributes. Does that imply it is the superior game technically? Or for you? No it is my opinion, so only applies to me.

Its like a sports team. A fan might prefare his own team of say, Hull to any other team. But if you sit down and compare the starting line ups between say, Hull and Aston Villa there is a right and wrong answer to which is the better team.

The same applies here.

You should have read this bit. You say you don't care for licenses or stadium names. And thats fine. But one is clearly superior over the other in this regard.....as one has it and the other doesn't. One clearly is better in this criteria. This point doesn't simply go away just because you don't care for it. There is no horses for courses with that. I don't like driving on motorways....but a country that has them is clearly better than one that doesn't. See what I'm getting at?

To be clear, I'm not trying to champion either game. They can do that themselves. I'm saying there is a better game between the two every year......people who ignore this fact and stick with either one regardless are kidding themselves. Its not the same as liking orange juice over apple juice. Neither is better, merely different. In this field, there IS a clear winner every year. It tends to swing back and forth and some people are just too ignorant or stubborn to acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

It still doesnt mean that there is a correct answer.

Gameplay is where it matters for me. I think PES has better gameplay, and i enjoy playing it more. People who prefer FIFA think that FIFA has better gameplay and enjoy playing FIFA more. Nobody is wrong, its just their opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

You should have read this bit. You say you don't care for licenses or stadium names. And thats fine. But one is clearly superior over the other in this regard.....as one has it and the other doesn't. One clearly is better in this criteria. This point doesn't simply go away just because you don't care for it. There is no horses for courses with that. I don't like driving on motorways....but a country that has them is clearly better than one that doesn't. See what I'm getting at?

My point was the technical superiority is not the be all and end all. MAG will have 256 players capable of playing online in the same lobby. Will this mean that it will be a superior online game compared to Modern Warfare 2? That is a matter of opinion. The value you put on the maximum number of players will decide this, not the value itself.
    To be clear, I'm not trying to champion either game. They can do that themselves. I'm saying there is a better game between the two every year......people who ignore this fact and stick with either one regardless are kidding themselves. Its not the same as liking orange juice over apple juice. Neither is better, merely different. In this field, there IS a clear winner every year. It tends to swing back and forth and some people are just too ignorant or stubborn to acknowledge it.

A 'better' game is subjective, based purely on your opinion regarding the quantifible values you can attribute to a game [number of pixels in a character, percentage of time spent in menus] . I have explained it above.

Otacon wrote: »
    A 'better' game is subjective, based purely on your opinion regarding the quantifible values you can attribute to a game [number of pixels in a character, percentage of time spent in menus] . I have explained it above.

Very well said

Why do you care so much?

If your happy with Fifa then go play Fifa - if you love it so much then you shouldnt care what other people think of it or what game they play.

I switched from Fifa many years ago because PES offered a lot more than Fifa at the time - Fifa has undoubtedly caught up and, some might say, ovetaken PES in some aspects but it makes no difference to me because I prefer PES. No amount of someone telling me Fifa is better will make me think otherwise.

I'm happy with PES so I'm going to play it and not waste my time engaging in futile and, to be completely honest, ridiculously stupid arguments about which is the better game.

And at the end of the day its a bloody video game so kop on to yourself...
    There's more important things in life to get worked up about.

In this field, there IS a clear winner every year.

no, but both games are better in certain areas if thats what you mean. fifa has better online play and proper leagues, kits etc. PES is and has always been more realistic and now even has far better graphics so theres no clear winner.

if you want realistic gameplay and graphics get PES, if you want loads of up to date kits/leagues or to play online get fifa.

Why do you care so much?

If your happy with Fifa then go play Fifa - if you love it so much then you shouldnt care what other people think of it or what game they play.

And at the end of the day its a bloody video game so kop on to yourself...
    There's more important things in life to get worked up about.
    To be clear, I'm not trying to champion either game. They can do that themselves.

That was quite an angry post. If you don't want to discuss the merits of each game, you don't have to. But don't project your own issues. Nobody is getting worked up here apart from you. If you can't discuss something rationally without getting angry, than perhaps you should heed your own advice about "kopping on".

f you can't discuss something rationally without getting angry, than perhaps you should heed your own advice about "kopping on".

How can this topic be discussed rationally when the merits of each game are completelty subjective?

The topic cannot be quantified or qualified in anyway shape or form as it boils down to a matter of opinion...

Both games have positives and negatives - I would dearly love if PES was fully licensed like FIFA, then again, I would consider going back to FIFA if I thought that gameplay was better than PES but thats my opinion.

Anyway, I have allowed myself to become embroiled in the very thing which I believe is completely futile - arguing about the pro's and con's of two video games...

Enjoy whichever one you got - you deserve it....

Over and out...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Having played both games now in recent days I have to say that FIFA is definitely the more realistic simulation of football. You can still do daft things in PES like a centre-half charging up the length of the field past defenders and blasting a long range rocket into the top corner. You just can't do that in FIFA. PES definitely feels more arcadey even if this year's version has been slowed down. PES seems to have higher scoring games in general and easier to belt one in from distance. Crossing and scoring from crosses is a lot easier in PES than FIFA. Heading is considerably easier in PES. No bad thing as I think it is actually too difficult in FIFA to get good headers in. That said PES is fun in its own right. Just different to FIFA. The sound of the football being kicked annoys me though in PES. It sounds like someone hitting a bag of cement with a baseball bat.

I will say the player likenesses in PES are fantastic. Much better than the zombies in FIFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

i got fifa 2 years ago because of league of ireland but now i just create loi in pes and player likeness and kits look so much better. only thing i prefer about fifa is the stadiums. i think pes should have generic stadiums like ''small european club stadium'' for teams like derry city.

i just dislike the way fifa players. it doesnt seem good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Having played both games now in recent days I have to say that FIFA is definitely the more realistic simulation of football. You can still do daft things in PES like a centre-half charging up the length of the field past defenders and blasting a long range rocket into the top corner. You just can't do that in FIFA. PES definitely feels more arcadey even if this year's version has been slowed down. PES seems to have higher scoring games in general and easier to belt one in from distance. Crossing and scoring from crosses is a lot easier in PES than FIFA. Heading is considerably easier in PES. No bad thing as I think it is actually too difficult in FIFA to get good headers in. That said PES is fun in its own right. Just different to FIFA. The sound of the football being kicked annoys me though in PES. It sounds like someone hitting a bag of cement with a baseball bat.

I will say the player likenesses in PES are fantastic. Much better than the zombies in FIFA.

Have to agree with all of that, my thoughts on the two games exactly.

You can still do daft things in PES like a centre-half charging up the length of the field past defenders and blasting a long range rocket into the top corner

Just like vermaelen a few weeks ago for arsenal ;)

And no, you can't do it in PES. Maybe very infrequently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

its realistic for a defender to be able to do that,i remember ken oman for bohs scoring a screamer like that last season

thorbarry wrote: »
    Just like vermaelen a few weeks ago for arsenal ;)

And no, you can't do it in PES. Maybe very infrequently

Well I can.

It does happen in real football but rarely enough. It is too easy to do in PES. In fact it's too easy to race past players on pitch length runs full stop. Race past the full back and pull the ball across the box and you are guaranteed a goal fairly regularly. You just seem to have to work a lot harder to create openings in FIFA. It's more challenging. PES does some things better but FIFA is definitely the more rounded game of the two. PES as a two player game can still be loads of fun but it's not that enjoyable against the computer when you can win games fairly easily even on higher difficulty levels.

Well I can.

It does happen in real football but rarely enough. It is too easy to do in PES. In fact it's too easy to race past players on pitch length runs full stop. Race past the full back and pull the ball across the box and you are guaranteed a goal fairly regularly. You just seem to have to work a lot harder to create openings in FIFA. It's more challenging. PES does some things better but FIFA is definitely the more rounded game of the two. PES as a two player game can still be loads of fun but it's not that enjoyable against the computer when you can win games fairly easily even on higher difficulty levels.

it was too easy in 08 and 09 but theres no way your running the lenght of the field now unless its on beginner. as for harder to create openings in fifa? :confused:. you just have to press R1 to set your striker off on a run and then play an easy through ball. not exactly "creative".

Well I can.

maybe in pes08 and 09, but this year you cant. Unless you are playing it on one of the easier difficulties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dave03

Well I can.

Well having played the both of them i opted for PES cos i thought it was the more difficult of the two. Far too easy to chip the keeper in FIFA.

thorbarry wrote: »
    maybe in pes08 and 09, but this year you cant. Unless you are playing it on one of the easier difficulties?

No. Can do it on the second highest difficulty anyway (whatever the name of it is). Haven't tried the hardest yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Fifa is the better game...enough said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Why do people continue this stupid and futile argument?

It's a complete waste of time and effort - if you like FIFA then fair play to you, same goes for PES. No point in going on and on about one game being crapper than the other.

The argument will never die! There'll always be fans of either that will defend their game. Both will have about 50 amazon reviews before they come out saying "pes suxs". The argument will continue as sure as night follows day! I always find the arguments entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Mister Man wrote: »
    Fifa is the better game...enough said...

Well that's me converted so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

PES is better playing with a friend/few lads. Fifa is better online and single player..

Advertisement