Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

• 11-07-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Here are the details for the tournament:

Date: Saturday 18th of July

Time: 3 PM (meeting at 2 PM though)

Format: Tournament (Double Elimination)

Fee: €5 / €10 (€10 if people vote yes for prize pot)

Consoles: 4 consoles (3 tournament / 1 casuals) This may change according to the numbers

Hey lads! Seeing as this is a tournament this time round, it'll have to a little more organised. So, if you're interested, please reply in this thread. Thanks.

I've provided additional info on who uses who. I wouldn't know some of the guys so wouldn't know who they use.

Players:

1. Leprekaun
    / Ryu
    2. Azza
    / M.Bison
    3. K.O.Kiki /
    Edmund Honda
    4. Dreddybajs
    / Zangief
    5. Bush
    / Blanka
    6. A-Trak
    7. Kirby
    / Dhalsim
    8. Owwmykneecap / Master Bison? / Vega?
    9. TheWitch06 / Crimson Viper
    10. Mr_Kyle
    11. CodeMonkey / Gouken?
    12. Sagat06
    13. Blag / Master Bison
    14. FoamyMushroom / Akuma
    15. Retr0gamer
    16. L31mr0d / Akuma
    17. Xinkai / Ryu
    18. Reanimemmett
    19. DarkTalant
    20. Andy
    21. BanjoB
    22. Dan
    23. Mike
    24. Simon
    25. DK
    26. Robbie
    27. Chris
    28. Kev

Would you like to have a prize pot for the tournament? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Might be an idea to have a date for this Tournament and its actually round 4 but I'll forgive you for that being from Donegal an all! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

yep, I'm in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Put me down too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'm in dependant on date.

(Oh and I see you changed your sig Leprkaun, you folded to Azza and his cheap psycho power tactics;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Added date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm in!

And your both wrong......its actually the first tourney because its the first one I'm in......which is all that counts :p

Reading on Neo Empire there seems to be some interest from the Northern fighting gaming community coming down to this.

The first and I think the second time they came down they got drawn against each in the opening rounds which was abit scuttery as they normally play together up north and they didn't get to play to many of the locals. It should be seeded it so that they don't meet each other in the opening rounds if several are coming from such a considerable distance.

After the event is over we can use that to draw up a proper seeding table.

Also is everyone okay with throwing €10 into the pot to enter the competition. Would you prefer more or less.

I reckon €10 is the best bet as its not too much and the larger cash prize over say a competition with an entry fee of €5 euro would help motivate those futher a field to attend.

Also what will be the prize allocation. Will have prizes for just first and second our will we divide between the top 3?

At that what is the preferred pecentage for splitting as well?

As this is a 'Non Profit,' tourney, i.e. run by us and not a business looking to make a few quid over and above what they pay out in prize money, I'd suggest a few changes from the previous XGC tourneys.

- Prize Money / Brackets
    Whilst we're all there to improve our game and to have fun, ultimately in a tourney we're handing over cold hard cash in an ambition to win more of it.
    As it will be a smallish tourney, I'd be in favour of a tiered cash payout.

The double bracket tournament makes sense, both in fairness and as we can't seed this one.
    I'd suggest a graded payout. The overall winner taking the majority of cash. Podium winners in both the winners and losers brackets should pick up a few quid each as well.

Taking Azza's suggested tiers here: there would only be three or four players in with a chance of winning a top podium finish.

Otherwise you'd be paying for a prize entrance which you've no chance of winning, as well as a tourny entrance of console rental etc too.

Once we have a confirmed amount of players, and a suggested tourney fee along with console costs, this shouldn't be too hard too put figures too....

Basic Tourney Entrance (€x)
    Tourney total = €X
    Losers Bracket Podium (1st= €x%, 2nd=€x%)
    Winners Bracker Podium (1st= €x%, 2nd=€x%

As we can do it all ourselves, all totals can be agreed before the tourney and the cost cover would be minimal, cost of consoles max.

Minimum prize would be covering your entry cost no matter your skill. This is all achievable. Max prize would be at the very least costs plus big beer money/travel money.

I've no probs doing the odds and pay ins and outs once we have numbers. ( and can even do a worse case scenario.)

We've done the casual s, Azzas done a rough tier list. Everyone has a rough idea where they'd rank in this tourney - I'd like to make sure everyones at least in with a chance of winning back their cover charge, and the winner alos having a bankroll.

Also burdocks on the winner - thats a given.

Thoughts?

I'm confused.
    Doesn't the winner of the loosers bracket have to play the winner of the winners bracket in the grand final. Would the system you suggest not lead to the potential of some people getting two different prize spots? Like the winner winning the winners bracket then winning the grand final.Or the player who looses the winners bracket then gets bumped down to the loosers bracket and then proceeds to go on win the loosers bracket final and then wins the grand final beating the player who won the the winners bracket final and thus gain revenge!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I removed the puncuation on purpose to stress the point I'm confused! :D

• Advertisement

Woah! A lot of ideas there lads.

I'm not sure if we should go for a prize pot. Its cool and all but kind of over complicates things a bit. Also, I know everyone knows each other but it would just add a bit more tension to it.

I'll make a poll to see the interest anyway.

Also, if its alright lads, can we move the discussion to the discussion thread. Cheers :)

Hey lads! There has been some talk about having a prize pot for the tournament so I thought of setting up a poll to see the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I vote yes.
    Even if it's small, it gives people something to play for other than sheer pride :D

...yeah, my Honda's not gonna win though...

Actually it would be better for the forum if we kept everything in one thread. We have about 3 or 4 threads discussing the next meet up. So its just filling the forum with info on what should be in one thread. I've already asked weather people are in favour or not or a prize pot in this thread which is the same thing as a poll.

Yes I'm certainly in favor of a prize pot.

I think it help motivate people from futher a field to travel.

Also it adds that extra bit of spice to proccedings. You take it that bit more serious. Gets the heart pumping when your down to the last sliver of health.

I like the idea of casual events but I believe we need to aim for something at the same time. Casuals on there own is fine and all but I look at them as training for competitions. A tournament without some sort of prize really is just another casual event rebadged in my opinion, you just don't put in the same effort. Not that I take them too seriously either :rolleyes: (goes back to 24 training session with theme of Rocky playing)

Yep, small registration fee seems to be what people what.

im probably in the minority, but I vote no.

People don't play for money, they play for the thrill. For the bragging rights. Money, wont make anyone play "harder". And money does strange things to people attitude wise. I'd prefer to keep the laid back attitude we have. Just for fun and competition thing.

I mean, if a tourney is free you are more likely to get more people. Its clear there is a skill gulf between people here and its not fair to ask somebody to pay for something they have no chance of winning..... therefore the weaker players wont show up, and you will get less people.

I dunno, maybe the winner goes free or something. He doesn't have to pay his fiver as a reward. But i'm wary of cash prizes and stuff. I don't want to risk arguements and stuff.

Most people probly want the DeNiro tho so ill probably get outvoted :p

Yeah, I was also thinking the same. It just creates a strange atmosphere. Azza, I know you mentioned about making it more tasteful for those who are far but remember that Donegal fella? He's a bloody maniac. Traveling four hours for a few hours of SF? He must be mad :P

I mean, the idea is for all of us to enjoy it and not lure a few people for the cash prize and upset others who would prefer it if there weren't any cash prizes. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not pushed about €5 or €10 but as Kirby mentioned, there'll be far less people going if there is a cash prize because they just know they're not good enough to win and would feel that they'd be just wasting their €5 as they know they won't see it back.

I mean, you could see it in the official XGC tournaments. The first one had a turnout of 20+ people and the second was something like 12-16. Just have to appreciate that a lot of people aren't going there to win (although I strongly oppose this way of thinking :)) and just going to have a proper SFIV session.

Which is why we have both casuals and tournaments?

Maybe just setting up ranking battles to go along with the casual meetups might be to more people's tastes though. But really if you don't have any entry fee there's no point having a tournament imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not pushed about €5 or €10 but as Kirby mentioned, there'll be far less people going if there is a cash prize because they just know they're not good enough to win and would feel that they'd be just wasting their €5 as they know they won't see it back.

This is an attitude that bothers me (and it's not levelled at ye because ye seem to enjoy the game most importantly and have a high skill level). People get put off when competition with a reward at the end is produced...Yet everyone is competitive by nature and wants to win. Even professional sports stars can enjoy themselves with all the pressure but yet the average gamer suddenly turns away because there is €5 on the line. Think of it - who goes to an event to lose? Many go thinking they are likely to lose but will still try to enjoy themselves...So why should they be put off?

I'm sorry about the little rant but it is something that bothers me. You have have eliter-than-thou players present but at this stage, people know who the social bunch are too // the people who can mix business with pleasure so to speak.

I'm not a high skilled gamer (outside of SF too) and yet I have gone to competitions and still enjoyed it. And "oh noes, I left without my €5"....."oh well".

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

too many man too many man, too many threads too many threads.

Also I'm in.

Also also we need to sort out the character problems. even if it ment chipping in and buying a couple of memory cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I voted ye, a tenner isnt going to kill anyone and i doubt anyone is going to get rowdy over it. Anytime were drinking in the house we play everything for money, even buzz on ps3. Makes it more interesting. We play pes, i hate that game and im **** at it but ill still throw a fiver in and loose in the first match. I know were in a recession but come on.

I agree with you. I bet with my mates all the time about a whole bunch of things. I bet on the grand national every year for the craic with nearly a zero chance of winning. :p it makes it more fun.

But the fact is, my feelings arent everyone's. I garuntee you the turnout will be bigger with a free tourney. It might be "sad", but thats the way things are.

I'll bring along a card with all unlocked except Seth. And anyone who uses him is a gaylord anyway.

Agree with the loads of threads diluting the topic as well.

I don't think a free tourney would attract any more players. Its the sort of thing that would attract more locals but chances are most of the locals who would go are already going.

Infact I could say the reason we had the biggest turnout for our first event was because it had the largest prize. The smaller events had smaller prizes. But I don't think this is true either. I think the recent declining numbers are due to the fact that the XGC has some contact information for players that don't post on boards.ie. Will need to get this info off them so we can inform these players of our events as well.

The fact is I think most people would like a tournament as something to work towards, to keep the excitment going, if we play nothing but casuals interest will eventually die off, its just the same thing over and over. But at the same time I do think that casuals play there part too and thats why the majority of events should be casual. I think a system of 2 casual events to 1 tournament is a good system that caters to both crowds.

I also don't think a cash prize makes for a strange atmosphere. I have not noticed it anyway. Can't imagine anyone smashing up the place in a hissy fit.

Removed: Added details to first post.

Azza wrote: »
    I don't think a free tourney would attract any more players. Its the sort of thing that would attract more locals but chances are most of the locals who would go are already going.

Infact I could say the reason we had the biggest turnout for our first event was because it had the largest prize. The smaller events had smaller prizes. But I don't think this is true either. I think the recent declining numbers are due to the fact that the XGC has some contact information for players that don't post on boards.ie. Will need to get this info off them so we can inform these players of our events as well.

The fact is I think most people would like a tournament as something to work towards, to keep the excitment going, if we play nothing but casuals interest will eventually die off, its just the same thing over and over. But at the same time I do think that casuals play there part too and thats why the majority of events should be casual. I think a system of 2 casual events to 1 tournament is a good system that caters to both crowds.

I also don't think a cash prize makes for a strange atmosphere. I have not noticed it anyway. Can't imagine anyone smashing up the place in a hissy fit.

Nobody is saying casual only, everybody wants tourneys. Some of us just think free tourneys will attract more people, thats all.

Bragging rights are all that matters anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... I'll probably be going but won't be entering the tournament, i'll stick to the casuals. Perhaps you could have a second free tournament running alongside the paid for one for the greenhorns?

Like Kirby said, there is a gulf dividing the experience levels, it's like mixing featherweights with heavyweights and expecting the featherweights to pay for the pleasure of being beaten.

But, I can understand it has to be kept interesting for those experienced with the game, so maybe run a second tournament alongside the paid for one for those that are there mainly for the practice and not to win some money?

Well, the plan is to have 4 consoles. If there is to be a second tournament running alongside, the total cost of the rental would have to double as there'd have to be more consoles rented so you may as well just join the main one.

Something which could be done is have the cost of rent split between those playing in the tournament and those just going for casuals or free tournament. So, for example, if there are a total of 16 players, 8 for the main tournament and 8 for the free tournament/casuals and 8 consoles, then just divide the cost of each tournament among 8 players.

Just leave it the poll ;). Its not a sure thing that it'll be a prized event.

• Advertisement

Well, i'll go with the majority. I don't mind doing a money tourney if thats what most people want. So, ill be joing it either way. I was just concerned for some of the less experienced players being scared off.

And lee, you should play it in anyway. Every tourney needs an Akuma.

Advertisement