Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Heavyweight and featherweight is a class thing.

We are actually are in the same class just not at the same skill level. No one is at a physical dis-advantage just some have more experience due to wanting or being able to put more time into the game.

We could run a second free tournament alongside the main one but it might only end up with 3-4 people playing in which wouldn't make for that great a tournament. Besides is it really worth anything to win a tournament with so low numbers when all the other so called better players are not. You won't improve if your not playing better players.

At the same time it would also dilute the primary competition. Even though some may regard themsleves as low skilled even there absence distracts from winning the event.

Perhaps if there is only 1 or 2 people who don't want to pay to enter the comeptition we can allow them enter but exclude them from the pot prize, if they happen to make it to prize places.

Perhaps a league format would be better. Where at every second event everyone chucks in say €5.00 into the kittie and plays each other once. We then award 3 points for a win and 1 for a close defeat. After maybe 4 of these event we pool the prize money together and award the top 3 points finisher with a proportional share of the kittie.

I don't want to dictate anything to anyone, so throw some suggestions out there people. See what the popular consensus is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

I'm gonna play, yay. I'll bring BlazBlue along too. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Something I'd like to mention though, I'll only be able to manage one tournament so someone else will have to manage the other one. Also, it can't be a sure thing that there'll be an alternate one for the obvious reason of number of players interested in an alternate one.

Btw, can everyone who voted please state their vote. There are 12 votes but only 9 registered players so there are 3 rogue voters out there. Show yourselves! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I voted yes

• Advertisement

You can add Mr_Kyle to the list. He's coming down for sure. Hes's hoping to get three or more form the north to travel down with him but no in that group is confirmed yet bar himself.

I voted yes and so did The Witch and Ko.KiKi for sure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I voted yes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Oh yeah I voted but haven't put my hand up yet. Put me down for the tourney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Stick me down for the tourney... I voted yes! but yes or no doesnt bother me all I want is your respect :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Put me down for the tournament. I also vote yes because I'm dumb with my monye :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Azza wrote: »
    Can't imagine anyone smashing up the place in a hissy fit.

My fight Moneeeeeeeeeeeeey!!! Argh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Only reason I think it shouldn't be paid for is from past experience. I'm also fairly big into chess and used to play it regularly with a few mates. But we started putting money on it to "make it interesting" and where we started with a quite a few people entering, after a few weeks it was just the few of us who would win with the guys always getting knocked out early not bothering to show up any more. Whereas before it was good craic, with people drinking beer and chatting, it quickly turned overly serious, with people getting angry even if you whispered while they where playing and nobody bothering to touch alcohol to keep their concentration.

It ruined it tbh. Anyway I'm in the minority here so I'll shut up now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I've just voted yes for a prize pot.

I'm not 100% certain if I'm going to be able to go yet but a tourney should be fun and to be honest it's more of an incentive for us who have to travel from the north(or Donegal,Westmeath etc..) to go.

Now,time to start training,I definately need a montage...

L31mr0d I can't belive you where a big enough A-hole to whisper in a chess match! you lack class man :D
    Next thing you will be questing Telgere's orders in L4D!

There will be still casual play of course and depending on what people want we can revert back to casual events for the next 2 meet ups.

I know several other people have expressed an interest in coming along to spectate or play casuals.

Kinetic is another boards mod, current manager of the WCG Irish team, founder of A New Hope Lan and ex pro gamer. He's expressed interest in popping round to spectate and just to check out the scene (doesn't actually play the game yet)
    Even said he would pay to spectate, think we should fleece him and charge him €10 euro to watch each game. :)

After that KoHd said he might be down to discuss Xeon gamings plan.

Oh no no no! no promotional stuff to distract attention from my tournament. THIS IS MY TOURNAMENT! MY TOURNAMENT! (Imagine Agent Smith like at the end of Matrix Revolutions :))

Ofcourse I'm just joking (thats right, I'll make them all think its just a joke but I'm going to take over the Irish tournament scene...

Hold on a minute...

I must've written my secret evil thoughts. Ah damn. No its just a joke guys. Seriously. No really, just a joke. Please imagine I never wrote that. I didn't... really... honestly..

Sorry for my stupid humour, I've been awake since 8 PM last night and no, I'm not on drugs, I don't need them because I have a dopamine (spell?) switch that randomly goes off plus a very frustrating session of not being able to pull off my beautifully devastating combos (cr. jabx2, cr. hp, EX Hkn, FADC, Ultra... No wait, thats not 2 separate combos Capcom, its one combo. Take 2, no, still one combo capcom)

Oh man, you lads are totally screwed for this tournament with me running it. Ya hear me, S C R E Wed!

Get to bed. I think your going insane.

Lol, too late sir, too late :)

I've calmed down now but can't sleep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Should be fun to be at the 3rd Tourny.. Ill bring 3rd Strike for the Lul'z if people wana play before the main event :P

Plus for the people who dont know me, most of ya prob seen me before, Im the Akuma Player tall black hair and stitch... lol anyway see ya'll on Saturday :D

Edit.... Ill bring an Oul camera to record some of the stuff and put on youtube if people would like :P

Right put me down for the tournament :pac: you called my bluff :p

If only for the opportunity to play against another Akuma ;)

Also, do we have to choose who we are playing as now? Will probably be Akuma, but I might switch to Sagat depending on how much I practice with him between now and Saturday. Can we decide on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH it's more "polite" to stick to one character, as then you're not seen as a counter-picking d*ck :p

Additionally, sticking to only 1 character helps you focus & figure out all your weaknesses, and how to work around those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

anyone think it would be a good idea to meet up before hand, rather than have people arrive in drips and drabs to the place?

also Let's have some shoutouts for how many games and saves can be found.

I have a copy of SFIV but unfortunately there's no point bringing my hdd.

well if it has to be set at 1 character for all matches then I guess I'll pick Akuma.

Also, for the tournament, are we getting a PS3? Would be handy as there will be plenty of sticks for it. Plus I think the #34 machine has all the characters, up to Gouken, already unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

So can people just bring thier hard drives along & use unlocked characters then? Makes sense.

I'll join in this once i showed up & played a few games of 3S with a few people before.

Xinkai
    Ryu (Main Pick)/ Sakura (When Feeling Random)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Xinkai wrote: »
    So can people just bring thier hard drives along & use unlocked characters then? Makes sense.

I'll join in this once i showed up & played a few games of 3S with a few people before.

Xinkai
    Ryu (Main Pick)/ Sakura (When Feeling Random)

I'm pretty sure the consoles are kinda locked into the little shelf under the TVs so you can't connect a HD.I'm not 100% on that though so correct me if I'm wrong.

Look forward to playing you in real life Xinkai,it's been a while since I've played you in 4 or HDR (my GT is IM BRIANBLESSED)

Who needs Evo this weekend,we've got XGC!

blag wrote: »

Who needs Evo this weekend,we've got XGC!

Should set up a stream, we would get more hits than evo no problem :pac:

I can't edit my first post so here is the continued list of entrants:

15. Retr0gamer / Ryu
    16. L31mr0d / Akuma
    17. Xinkai / Ryu
    18. DarkTalant
    19. Reanimemmet
    20. Andy

About the character choice, it will be limited to 1. As K.O.Kiki mentioned, this is to avoid people trying to increase their match up ratio against a different character.

@Mods: any way of allowing me to edit my first post? It'll just get a bit messy if I have posts all about the place with tournament info

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be maining Ryu.

Maining badly.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »

Also, do we have to choose who we are playing as now? Will probably be Akuma, but I might switch to Sagat depending on how much I practice with him between now and Saturday. Can we decide on the day?

No, you don't need to state your choice now. Ofcourse, you'll have to state on the day of the tournament who you're using when you confirm registration (i.e.: come up and tell me you're here ;)). I just put that info there just because I know it and maybe others might like to know what kind of players they're up against so if they want, analyse their opponent's fighter's strengths and weaknesses compared to your own fighter.

Shame it doesn't work for me though :(. No broadband so my only choice of playing against a good, I say good, but I mean **** is hardest CPU of Dhalsim and Bison. Stupid CPU patterns never change :(

Advertisement