Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

What? The usual thing is that both people announce their character to a neutral party before every fight to avoid counter-picking. Being stuck with one character for the whole tournament is a bad and pointless idea imo.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I see zero reason to enforce a single character selection rule on players, they should be allowed play who they want when they want, as done in all major fighting game tournaments and as done in the first 3 XGC tournaments.

The sytem mentioned by Drebbybajs is known as Double Blind Selection, its used at fighting game tournaments and will work perfectly fine if people are concerned about counter picking (to be honest I don't think any of us are at a level where that matters). Besides if people want to change characters it might not be a counter pick, I could pick Zangief to play Seth even though it would be regarded the stupidiest possible thing to do but I simply may have more experience in that match up and feel more comfortable with. People who feel they can play several characters should not be unfairly held back.

Double Blind Works like Drebbybajs said.
    Player two (or player one) tells the tournament manager or a neutral party who is he picking. Player one then picks his character. Player two then pick his character and the tournament manager confirms its the character who he said he would pick if not it has to be done again until he does select who he said he would pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

<_<

>_>

This is getting pretty heavy lol, think I'll hold off till its casual again, or people are playing on PC's.

Or you'll just never turn up... :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Unfortantly Cunny we won't be moving to PC as its not possible at that venue. Wait a minute you don't even have the PC version yet.....your one of the reason I got my copy...hurry up so we can at least play online! ;)

Don't worry this isn't some super serious thing, its just my view might as well keep it similar in format and rules to the major fighting game tournaments.

There will be casual play at the event. And I promise we don't bite....much. ;)

Are you using a pad or a stick, if your using a stick you can borrow my TE edition stick for the games. If your a pad user I'm sure we can arrange most of your games on a PS3. If somone has the same issue as yourself from an Xbox viewpoint and has to play you we could arrange maybe a home and away leg where the person with best round wins overall wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Actually, from the second tournament onwards, they limited it to 1 character each. There was only one exception when Paddy switched to Chun Li for the final on the PS3 but XGC agreed to it.

I'm not trying to be difficult about it, I just thought thats how it was done at the big tourneys. I suppose if its determined before a fight then it should be alright.

It ain't how it's done at the big tourneys, and the XGC didn't exactly know much else about running fighting game tourneys either (no secret characters, groups then single elimination, etc.). :pac:

Yeah, sure, fair enough. No character limitations.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Leprekaun wrote: »
    @Mods: any way of allowing me to edit my first post? It'll just get a bit messy if I have posts all about the place with tournament info

Can't be done I'm afraid. Send myself a pm and I will edit the info in myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I actually main vega not gouken btw if you need that info up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think you should be allowed change around characters. If your good enough to use different characters then fair play to ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Honestly, I don't really mind -- I won't switch from Honda anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Yeah you couldn't limit characters - everyone would go home and learn Sagat, and where's the fun in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Yeah you couldn't limit characters - everyone would go home and learn Sagat, and where's the fun in that!

Nah,Sagat should be banned,even Capcom admit he's overpowered....

But on a serious note,character swapping should be allowed,if someone feels the need to counter pick then so be it.

It would be pretty easy to counter pick in this tournament considering the limited group we have and everyone knows who everyone plays and most people here have had games against each other both online and offline,but I can't see it happening so it's not really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Allow people only to change character when they lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Counter-picking is done all the time. In the last major tourney, Justin Wong switched from Rufus to Abel in the second match of the final, as a counter pick to The Ryu he was played.....Mike Ross i think it was.

Personally, I was considering picking up a few counter characters for Bison..... But im probably going to stick with Sim and just try and get better with the matchup. I owe the Stretchy slumdog that much atleast. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Don't think I'll make this one :(
    Have to go home for my brothers 18th on friday. Bummer. However, I will be able to use his 360 over the weekend so if anyone wants a few games online I'd be up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I'm all for limiting people to one character.

It gives those who don't pick Sagat/ryu a fighting chance.

Also Regarding only doing casuals; what's the point, there will be casuals too, in fact They'll still be the main part.
    Tournys no matter how informal give people who have to travel to this a real incentive to come, not really monetory but a sharp focus on what the point is, structred play, getting better and bragging rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Kirby wrote: »
    Counter-picking is done all the time. In the last major tourney, Justin Wong switched from Rufus to Abel in the second match of the final, as a counter pick to The Ryu he was played.....Mike Ross i think it was.

Yea Justin Wong also lost out on 1k prize money because he wasnt allowed to counter pick a different character? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Yea Justin Wong also lost out on 1k prize money because he wasnt allowed to counter pick a different character? lol

hahaha.... ah you'll never know. I love setting you up man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Kirby wrote: »

Wrong my friend, It was Justin Wong VS John Choi. Korean Furyyyyyyy!!! lol

Xinkai wrote: »
    hahaha.... ah you'll never know. I love setting you up man! :D

Cu*t lol

Well, like Dreddybajs and Azza said, people will have to tell me before a match who they're using to avoid counter pick.

I know some people may disagree with me handling this part since I'm playing in the tournament as well but no need to worry, I don't intend on changing my character. I'm just miles better with Ryu over anyone else so I'd be just hindering myself choosing someone else.

I wanted to discuss prize money split. Because 3rd and 4th place are basically the same because both would be in their respective bracket finals so I was thinking of making it just 1st and 2nd prize split 60% / 40% or to settle 3rd place, the losers of the bracket finals play against each other and the winner of that match is defined 3rd and then have the split 50% / 30% / 20%. So what do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

70/30 for 1st and 2nd seems like the norm.

Ive got a 6 or 7 hour coupon for xgc. You can have that the run the tournaments on. Would 2 machines for 3 hours be enough to run the tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, like Dreddybajs and Azza said, people will have to tell me before a match who they're using to avoid counter pick.

I know some people may disagree with me handling this part since I'm playing in the tournament as well but no need to worry, I don't intend on changing my character. I'm just miles better with Ryu over anyone else so I'd be just hindering myself choosing someone else.

I wanted to discuss prize money split. Because 3rd and 4th place are basically the same because both would be in their respective bracket finals so I was thinking of making it just 1st and 2nd prize split 60% / 40% or to settle 3rd place, the losers of the bracket finals play against each other and the winner of that match is defined 3rd and then have the split 50% / 30% / 20%. So what do you guys think?

If it's Double Elimination, 3rd and 4th are already decided.

NSB-doubleelim-draw-2004.png

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I should be able to make this one, but I don't think merlin will.
    As for counter-picking, I'll be playing as boxer for the whole thing so if anyone wants to try counter-picking me, by all means go ahead...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

bush wrote: »
    70/30 for 1st and 2nd seems like the norm.

Ive got a 6 or 7 hour coupon for xgc. You can have that the run the tournaments on. Would 2 machines for 3 hours be enough to run the tournament?

I've got one of those coupon cards too from one of the other tournaments,you can use mine too.

Actually, thanks for reminding me :). I think I have one too.

Well, I was thinking of renting out 4 (3 tournament and 1 casuals/warmup)

I reckon if everything runs smoothly, it should take a couple hours so €2.50x2 = €5x4 = €20. So if there'll be around 20 people, we'd be looking at €1 + €5 for the prize pot each.

Looking at those figures, don't think there'd be much point in using the coupons :). That said, a lot of us aren't locals so may as well use them I guess so if we use 3, we'd be looking at €12.50 and splitting that, it would be 60c + €5 prize pot each. Not bad figures really.

• Advertisement

Gotta love been local lol

Advertisement