Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

You can put me down as well. And one of my friends should be coming along to play too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is it a fiver or a tenner for the tournament?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Can we have each person state there preference for the prize pot. Do they want a €5 or €10 entry fee.

Also what prize allocation do they want. Top 2 finishers top 3, top 4?
    And the % prize allocated to top the finishers.

My personal preference would be €10 entry fee with the top 4 finishers getting a slice at 60/30/15/5.

I know this all seems like alot of hassle but once we get these preferences out of the way we will know when running future competitions want the players want.

As for renting machines for casual and the competition, we will need at least 2 for the competition. I'd also think it might be a good idea to have 3 or 4 casual machines going. I'd imagine from the viewpoint of the venue organisers they might not be happy with alot of spectators crammed around a few machines and getting in the way of other customer. So ideally I'd imagine it would be good to have a slight majority of attendees with consoles to play at so a totall or 5-6 machines.

Anyway let us know your thoughts on this.

And Reanimemmett when you get confirmation about your friend tell us and gives us his name to post up.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

bush wrote: »
    Is it a fiver or a tenner for the tournament?

Prize pot should already be determined (Azza?) which should be €5 per person. In regards to console rent costs, that'll be settled after the tournament so that I can give an accurate number and split it equally depending on the number of entrants.

I actually thought it was already determined to be at a €10. The way I figured it was that it would work around €5 (give or take a euro or so) for the the casual machine hiring and a €10 for the competiton. Granted its more expensive than the orginal event which was €10, when the event organisers graciously allowed us to play casually during the competition for free.

• Advertisement

His name's Andy, he'll be there. I think first 4 should get a cut of the prize pot. Fourth place should at least get the entry fee back.

I meant €10 as in the total amount (€5 prize pot + €5 console rental).

Azza wrote: »
    Can we have each person state there preference for the prize pot. Do they want a €5 or €10 entry fee.

Also what prize allocation do they want. Top 2 finishers top 3, top 4?
    And the % prize allocated to top the finishers.

My personal preference would be €10 entry fee with the top 4 finishers getting a slice at 60/30/15/5.

I know this all seems like alot of hassle but once we get these preferences out of the way we will know when running future competitions want the players want.

As for renting machines for casual and the competition, we will need at least 2 for the competition. I'd also think it might be a good idea to have 3 or 4 casual machines going. I'd imagine from the viewpoint of the venue organisers they might not be happy with alot of spectators crammed around a few machines and getting in the way of other customer. So ideally I'd imagine it would be good to have a slight majority of attendees with consoles to play at so a totall or 5-6 machines.

Anyway let us know your thoughts on this.

And Reanimemmett when you get confirmation about your friend tell us and gives us his name to post up.

Well, I suppose we could rent 6 total (4 tournament and 2 casuals). If we run for 2 hours, total cost would be €30 for rental so yeah, I guess if there will be around 20 people going, it would work out around €1.50, lets say €2 per person (console rental / prize pot would remain €5).

I think 4th should get a pat on the back. Na azzas suggestion sounds fair i think.

@Azza: These are the names from my other post. Could you add them to my first post?

18. DarkTalant
    20. Andy

@Bush: I know with being around 20 people, prize pot will work out at around €100 total but I'm just trying to keep things consistent. Some people might have signed up because it was going to add up to €10 max. If prize pot was to be increased to €10 each, you'd still have to consider console rental cost which may be only a little bit more but some people might not account for it. I know I haven't been exactly consistent with certain decisions like character limitation but just wasn't sure about that.

• Advertisement

Andy is Reanimemmett so he's already been added.

As for the prize pot, some people may have signed up assiming it was €10 euro either, when I orginally brought up the topic of an entry fee I suggested either €5 or €10 as an entry fee and thought your ediit to the first post was actually saying that it could be either €5 or €10 depending on peoples preference. Just speaking to people on coms and reading the forums I got the impression €10 was the preferred option.

Anyway what ever most people want is what we should go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Would prefer a fiver into the prize pot here

Maybe a poll would be the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I think e10 is fair for tournament entry with cash prizes for 1st/2nd/3rd.

Azza wrote: »
    Andy is Reanimemmett so he's already been added.

As for the prize pot, some people may have signed up assiming it was €10 euro either, when I orginally brought up the topic of an entry fee I suggested either €5 or €10 as an entry fee and thought your ediit to the first post was actually saying that it could be either €5 or €10 depending on peoples preference. Just speaking to people on coms and reading the forums I got the impression €10 was the preferred option.

Anyway what ever most people want is what we should go for.

I think Andy is Reanimemmet's friend. Reanimemmet's real name is Emmet

oh right, sorry, I should've added clarified that, €5 if no prize pot, €10 if there is.

By the way, about the tournament maker, I keep getting an error when I try to run it. "please reinstall" so I did but still gives me the same error. Very strange. Its meant to be a stable version (2.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

As I said on Neo Empire, I won't be going as I have prior plans for the 18th. However, regarding the entry fee and prize pot for future tourneys, I prefer €10, and here's why:

My travel costs for travelling to Dublin are around €20 for the bus ticket there and back. Now, it's fair to assume that as the entry fee doubles, the prize pot doubles (actually, it'll be more than double because the cost of renting the consoles will be the same regardless of the entry fee). Let's say that:
    1. 20 people enter.
    2. The entirety of the entry fees goes towards the prize pot.
    3. The prize pot is split 70/20/10.
    4. The entry fee is €10.

Should I win the tourney in this case, I spend €30 and win €140 - 467% of what I spend to get to the tourney. On the other hand, if the entry fee was €5 my winnings would be €70 - only 280% of my expenditure (I'm beginning to sound like an accountant now). This is very much a simplified scenario, but the general idea still stands.

Of course, for those who are local all this is inconsequential, but for players who aren't local and feel they have a decent chance of winning a €10 entry fee gives a greater incentive to come along and participate.

Yeah, I understand the incentive but also remember that with an increased entry fee, players who lack confidence to win will be less likely to attend because they wouldn't be too bothered about losing €5 but would be if they lost €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Yeah, I understand the incentive but also remember that with an increased entry fee, players who lack confidence to win will be less likely to attend because they wouldn't be too bothered about losing €5 but would be if they lost €10.

The way I see it is they pay €10 + rental fee so perhaps €15 total. They get several hours of play with people of a similar interest (and will find out skill levels as things progress). If you break it down, it doesn't work out at that much and people will enjoy it.

The myth of competition can't be fun or x is too expensive needs to be dispelled. Getting a couple of hours gaming and some good company isn't bad value at €10. And competition can always be fun. People want to win. Of course winning is more fun but you can still have a laugh as a low skill player.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

It's a fine line to walk, indeed, but I personally feel that I have a decent chance - less than 50/50, but a chance nonetheless - at these tourneys - when I went out to The Witch last time I was 2 rounds up before he made his comeback - and anyway, when I'm spending €20 just to get there and back, what's an extra fiver? I know this sounds a little selfish, but I'm not trying to say that this is best for everybody, just that this is what's best for me.

Don't get me wrong - if I happen to be in the minority on this issue I'd still be more than happy to come along and support the scene.

• Advertisement

An extra fiver isnt all that much extra but it makes a huge difference to the prize money. No one seemed to have a problem with paying a tenner at the other tournaments either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd prefer 5 euros for the casual machine rental and 5 for the tournament prize pot but then again I'm broke and have no chance of winning :)

Yeah its abit odd people are having an issue now with paying a €10 when the orginal entry fee for the first 3 tournaments was the same.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I think Andy is Reanimemmet's friend. Reanimemmet's real name is Emmet

oh right, sorry, I should've added clarified that, €5 if no prize pot, €10 if there is.

Yeah, Andy is an extra person, if you could add him to list too, that'd be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its not that surprising that the people pushing for 10 all fancy their chances and those who want 5, know they wont win.:p

You have a reasonable chance of doing well Kirby, your Sim is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi guys..just saw this now..would there be any room for 1 more or is it full..im 90% sure im gonna be in naas on saturday and id like to come and bring chun li to the party!!

Your more than welcome BanjoB. Let us know when you have confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I've no problem with paying 10 either (even though I won't win), just thought 5 was a better compromise for the people who wanted a free tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Well i prefer the idea of €10 into the tournament upfront. Have all tourny money go on Prizes and all casual money on "admin"
    Whatever the price for casuals will be (A) no of consoles x (B) number of hours / (C) Number of Players.

The money for casuals could presumably be paid as we leave, as last time (as it might fluctate).

Now lets get some hard facts:
    How much per console per hour is it?
    What is the story with deposits etc?
    Can they open a ****ing window in the place?
    Who's on for pints?

As for the number of machines, the more the better.
    If there are going to be more people let's have 5 or 6 xboxes on the go, the increase in price is likely to be marginal in comparison to the increase in actual time spent busting heads.
    Price (in Euros) Divided by use (in Minutes) = your Value For Money number (minutes per euro) ;)

Also with the casuals we all play a few games and are polite and get up and let others play, because we are so lovely and polite etc.
    how about having one machine as pure winner stays on? (possibly not while the tourny is on)

There's more: How many machines can we get ALL the characters on?
    This is pretty important for the tourny, espcially if we choose change character at continue.

I suppose the clearest way to sort out some of these issues is to take a quick hand up vote on the day (instead of 4 different poll threads here)

Advertisement