Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

BanjoB wrote: »
    I still can't get used to shoto characters with it.charge characters are fine

You could try an octogate for your stick. Much better for shoto characters imo. But the square gate is better for chargers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You get used to it. I'm getting a lot more used to mine now.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Okay gentlemen after talking to Leprekaun we are planing on using the following format for the competition after consideration of numbers.

Due to the fact that we ideally need 16 or 32 players for double elimination to avoid uneven numbers and we are expecting the number of attendees to be in the region of 24 we are switching to a group stage for the opening round.

The opening stage of the competition will consist of 6 groups of 4 players (one group may have one or two less or more players depending on numbers)

In these group stages everyone plays each other once in a best of 3 round match. Instead of being garunteed of playing 2 matches everyone is garunteed at least 3 matches. The top finishers from each group go through to a double elimination knockout stage. The runners up of each group will split into two groups of 3 and the winner of each of these groups will join the other 6 players who won the orginal groups to make 8 players in the second round. Second round matches will be best of 5 rounds and the grand final will be a best of 7 rounds match.

All characters are allowed to be played.
    Character switching is allowed and a double blind pick can be requested.
    Prize allocation will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

We are also planing on seeding the groups in the following way.
    The following players will be given provisional seed protection status (i.e) they will not be drawn in the same groups.

Mike
    Bush
    Azza
    The Witch
    Blag
    Kirby

As a courtesy to the fighting game community travelling down from Northern Ireland they will also be sperated from each other in the group stage as well as our two regular players from Donegal Leprekaun and AmoogX.

The remaing players will be randomly drawn from a hat (or hat like object).

The seeding was based on previous tournament performance. If anyone has any objections with any of the seeding you can raise them on this thread.

Definitive seeding will be drawn up after the tournament is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

In the event that Mike Guilfoyle shows up (no idea if he is) imo he'd deserve a seeded spot - don't know who you could remove though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    Okay gentlemen after talking to Leprekaun we are planing on using the following format for the competition after consideration of numbers.

Due to the fact that we ideally need 16 or 32 players for double elimination to avoid uneven numbers and we are expecting the number of attendees to be in the region of 24 we are switching to a group stage for the opening round.

The opening stage of the competition will consist of 4 groups of 6 players (one group may have one or 2 less or more players depending on numbers)

In these group stages everyone plays each other once in a best of 3 round match. Instead of being garunteed of playing 2 matches everyone is garunteed at least 5 matches. The top 2 finishers from each group go through to a double elimination knockout stage. So 8 players are up for grabs in the second round. Second round matches will be best of 5 rounds and the grand final will be a best of 7 rounds match.

All characters are allowed to be played.
    Character switching is allowed and a double blind pick can be requested.
    Prize allocation will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

We are also planing on seeding the groups in the following way.
    The following players will be given provisional seed protection status (i.e) they will not be drawn in the same groups.

Bush
    Azza
    The Witch
    Blag

As a courtesy to the fighting game community travelling down from Northern Ireland they will also be sperated from each other in the group stage as well as our two regular players from Donegal Leprekaun and AmoogX.

The remaing players will be randomly drawn from a hat (or hat like object).

The seeding was based on previous tournament performance. If anyone has any objections with any of the seeding you can raise them on this thread.

Definitive seeding will be drawn up after the tournament is over.

That sounds good. Screw it, I'm in (should be fun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Well, I think since he's been only to 1 tournament and Witch has been to 2 of them, Witch deserves the spot IMO. Mike Guilfoyle is insanely good but Witch has shown a top 3 finish in both tournaments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any special treatment for players in the retr0gamer seeding bracket?

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, I think since he's been only to 1 tournament and Witch has been to 2 of them, Witch deserves the spot IMO. Mike Guilfoyle is insanely good but Witch has shown a top 3 finish in both tournaments.

I don't follow, seeding should be done on the basis of player skill alone imo (apart from the deferential politeness to the people travelling far). The Witch is obviously a great player too, but I don't see only having gone to one tournament (and dominating) versus finishing top 3 in two tournaments to be that clear a decider for the spot.

Mike Guilfoyle is the best Irish player I've seen and not to seed him would be doing him (and other high-skill player he knocks out/who knocks him out in the first round) an injustice.

I'll seed Mike if hes coming. But I haven't heard any word that he is. I'm just going by confirmed players at the moment. Due to my horrible math and good advice from Mr_Kyle I have amended the format, please revisit the above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Shouldn't the final be more than one match?

• Advertisement

One best of 7 round match is long enough. But it depends, the winner of the winners bracket will have 2 lives, so if he is beaten in the first game they will have to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, definitely do it that way (winner bracket finalist only needs to win once and loser bracket finalist twice)

I have another person who might be coming, waiting on confirmation.

Let us know when you can.

I'll hopefully know before the evening is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Good stuff lads. I reckon the group stage format is much better and gives all at least 3 guaranteed match ups. Agree with the seedings as well btw and the courtesy shown to the 'Norn 'Iron players too. Not the Athlone player though, thats an outrage.

I got two more people coming, Chris and Kev.

EDIT: Wow, that puts it up to 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I too, agree with the group stage system. Kind of like the champions league, you dont want Man utd or barca to get beaten by Besiktas in the first round, do ya? :p

Originally, I didn't think we should bother with a seeding system and just stick everyone in Azza's hat shaped object. :Dteehee

But when ye think about it, would you want to travel accross half the country and get screwed in the first round? Its probably the fairest system for those travelling a long, long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Shouldn't the final be more than one match?

I think so too. Best of 3 matches, 5 rounds per match.

Ive been wondering if xgc are cool with this going on in there?

The seeding's a good idea. I'd prefer to not be in groups with friends I'm going with either seeing as we're used to those matches and would like to play other people, but you can't have everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

bush wrote: »

I can't see why not. Its non profit run, we arent a company or anything. Its just a friendly competition. Plus, its usually empty up there. This is good business for them. Plus, most of us buy drinks from the machine. Thats why its so hot up there. they know exactly what they are doing with the no windows policy.. :p

bush wrote: »

Yeah, has anyone told them.... just in case we all show up and they're not up for 30 people upstairs.

Kirby wrote: »
    I can't see why not. Its non profit run, we arent a company or anything. Its just a friendly competition. Plus, its usually empty up there. This is good business for them. Plus, most of us buy drinks from the machine. Thats why its so hot up there. they know exactly what they are doing with the no windows policy.. :p

They should sell some deodorant too.

If we do have 28-30 people it might be better to go with double elim rather than groups? Then you just have first round walks for the seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh, and I'm trying to get at least 2 more guys to this.
    Jerome: Ryu
    Mika: Akuma

****in hell, mini evo

Same weekend an' all.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    If we do have 28-30 people it might be better to go with double elim rather than groups? Then you just have first round walks for the seeds.

I agree,if the numbers make sense then double elimination is the better route,assuming of course tat people turn up.

I agree with bush,the final shuld be best of 3 games with the games best of 5 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

If we're going to have so many people I think Leprekaun should probably arrange someone to help him run this tourny until it's at the finals or semi finals. Otherwise it'll be very stressful for him and the tourny will be choatic. Also, people might want to tag their gear with stickers.

• Advertisement

Azza's already pitching a hand as far as I can see (perhaps just informally, I don't know). Pretty much as long as we have bracket making software available, we should be fine.

Advertisement