Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Good idea. I agree with Bush and Blag too. But I'm probably not gonna get there so it's not that big a deal!

EDIT:Was replying to CodeMonkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Azza's already pitching a hand as far as I can see (perhaps just informally, I don't know). Pretty much as long as we have bracket making software available, we should be fine.
    Cool if Azza is helping just want to make sure Leprekaun don't get stressed out trying to keep track of multiple concurrent games and updating the software while trying to play himself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Don't worry about the management. Azza, mr_kyle (afaik) and myself should be alright. If my bro is coming down, he's offered to help out as well.

I just want to ask one thing though. Since XGC have returned their promotional copies back, the copies will have to be of our own. I think some lads know the craic so we should be alright but since there is a HUGE number of people this time out, we need to rent out between 8 consoles and by the looks of it, go as far as 10 or 12 consoles.

As Azza mentioned in his post, if the number of players don't add up to one of the following possibilities (8/16/32/64), there'll have to be a group stage to bring the numbers down for the double elimination rounds.

Can I just ask though, how many people here use console specific controllers? (official xbox 360 pad / dualshock) Because with the large numbers, I would really need to book some consoles as we need a fair amount so I need to find out how to balance between X360 and PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I know there's 28 or so now, but realistically on the day there will be less due to various reasons.

Also, is there an agreed price yet? And if its at 28 thats a good pot whatever way it works out at.

And what time is kick off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ill bring a copy of the game for both consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'll bring a xbox copy of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'll bring a copy of the game for xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yep, can bring an xbox copy too.

edit: Also it'd be nice if someone could come up with a location for the meets after this one where we can use PCs - no stick compatibility issues, and we can just use a trainer to unlock the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 VDecK

Me and two other guys should be down from belfast as well (all 360 players), looks like there will be a good crowd at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll bring a PS3 copy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Welcome to boards VDeck where shoryukens are bit more shoryukeny!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll bring some Third Strike as well :)

Alright lads, about the split. Now, I've been thinking a lot about how long the tournament would take and the number of consoles needed. I reckon we'd be looking at between 5-6 hours and need 10 consoles. In terms of total cost, we'd be looking at €150 for rental. This being a huge amount of cash we'd be bringing in at XGC, I'm considering taking the opportunity of seeking a discount so I'll call them tomorrow to discuss it. I know some people's opinion may differ on how long it may take but we really have to consider disruptions and delays as well. So, based on the number of currently listed entrants (28), that would work out at around €5.50 console rental + €5 prize pot.

I was thinking in regards to the prize pot, unfortunately, I won't be able to give an accurate total amount as I was thinking that this could be used as a safety margin if we are to play more than 6 hours (perhaps casuals after) so the extra money needed will be taken out of the prize pot. On the positive side of this, if we stop before the 6 hour mark, the extra money left over will be added to the prize pot. So to give a couple of examples:

Negative: 7 hours = €150 + €25 (7th hour). Prize pot = €150 - €25 = €125

Positive: 5 hours = €150 - €25 (6th hour). Prize pot = €150 + €25 = €175

So the total rental cost will be based on rental of 10 consoles over 6 hours so €150 which will then be split by the number of players there. I know some people may not like the idea of contributing/deducting more/less than €5 to the prize pot but because its very difficult to determine the amount of time this could go on for as different matches can vary greatly in how long they may take, it isn't possible to give accurate times.

I hope everyone is ok with this.

Its a €10 prize pot Lep. Most people expressed a preference for this in the thread.

Yep I thought we were going with 10 euro prize pot too.

I noticed that there is some interest for €10 pot but there are some whom have stated they'd like it to be €5. Remember, I'm saying €10 total (prize pot + rental fee) per person.

The poll was made to take votes whether there is to be a prize pot or not, not define the amount.

I'm pretty sure from looking back over the thread that more people are for the tenner... it should be a majority rule imo.

edit: I said I'd go for 5 but didn't mind, so stick me over on the tenner camp I guess. As Azza posted it's the same price as the first tournaments, and the extra fiver does make a big difference to the prize pool.

edit 2: And yeah, I'm aware of what the poll was for - I wasn't referring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I reckon we'd be looking at between 5-6 hours and need 10 consoles.

How many people are you expecting? Your numbers seem like vast overestimates. 44 people, 3 consoles, 11 x 4 man groups > then a group of 5 and 6 > top 4 double elimination = 3 hours 40 minutes at Q-Con XVI and that was with people diasappearing and interferances.
    So, based on the number of currently listed entrants (28), that would work out at around €5.50 console rental + €5 prize pot.

For the amount of people you have 3 consoles for the tournament will be fine. Any extra will be a bonus.

Its pretty clear cut in this regard the majority are in favour of €10. We can't do two polls in one thread and we don't need another thread cluttering up the forum. No need to go over ground already covered.

So far the attendees look around the 28 mark +- one or two.

I have doubled booked certain attendees. My bad.

• Advertisement

Right sorry for keep changing the story lads :(

That info that mr_kyle provided is gold really. Since we wouldn't be 44, I reckon we could finish the tournament in 3 hours. So, we'll rent 8 consoles (4 tourney / 4 casuals).

Since we have 3 1 hour free coupons, consider the cost 7 consoles over 3 hours so thats €23.50 which would work out at 84c each, so say €1. So €11 (prize pot included) per person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Since we have 3 1 hour free coupons, consider the cost 7 consoles over 3 hours so thats €23.50 which would work out at 84c each, so say €1. So €11 (prize pot included) per person.

why not make it €15 and carry the surplus over. You could use it to buffer the prize money for next time if there are less numbers or something. Plus, sure the tournament might be done in 3 hours but I wouldn't mind staying around a bit longer for casuals. Go for the usual 2pm to 6pm rental of the consoles, it gives a bit of headroom in case it goes on longer or if people show up late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive actually got 6 hours free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So, we'll rent 8 consoles (4 tourney / 4 casuals).

Guys, I keep saying this like every week. We REALLY don't need that many. Every week, some get shut down early, usually the ps3's, and others are vacant.... You often have a few people watching a match.

This being a tourney, there will be lots of watching. We dont need that many and it will work out cheaper.....meaning more of the money can go towards the prize pot.

To be honest, I would rent four 360's and two ps3's. or 3 of each. Thats more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

When there is so many people coming why not get out more consoles... what you pay extra vs no. of games played is marginal.

The best way to sort out anything on the day is to meet beforehand and have a vote on it. eg €5 or €10 for the tourny.

As regards the price and where the money goes, if there was money left over it should towards something like memory cards so that we can rely on having all the characters...

Again how many Memory cards can we get for this? Actual discs should be no prob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Wow 30 people now!!.street fighters takin over.I'm lookin forward to it.been playin a couple of guys online.the competition'l be fierce!!.I hope I don't get drawn with any dhalsims!!!. :)

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.....unless there is somebody who plays him that hasn't come to a casual yet. He's a niche character, most of the people there will be Ryu, Gief, Akuma and Bison. If you know those 4 matchups, you are probably covering about 50% of the playerbase that will be in the tourney. You've got the odd blanka, viper, cammy and honda player but only one of each I think.

Was that you I played earlier btw? Neptunecake?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    why not make it €15 and carry the surplus over. You could use it to buffer the prize money for next time if there are less numbers or something. Plus, sure the tournament might be done in 3 hours but I wouldn't mind staying around a bit longer for casuals. Go for the usual 2pm to 6pm rental of the consoles, it gives a bit of headroom in case it goes on longer or if people show up late.

I won't be able to host the next one as I'm going away so in regards to surplus, someone else will have to manage it if say there is another tournament in months time.

I think just keep it simple and separate. €11 (based 28 players)

The tournament running time is based on 3 hours so it would be 3PM - 6PM so only an hour difference. I plan to be there from 2 but I need to do that to organise last minute things on the day. I based the tournament start time based on what I saw at the casual meets because most people came after 2

In regards to casuals, I'd really like synchronise the casuals start time with the tourney. This will ensure that all consoles will be starting at the same time, so that by the end of the tourney, all consoles would have been run 3 hours each.

To keep it fair to those just coming for the tourney, the split of the cost will be based on 3 hours / 8 consoles. If people wish to continue for some casuals after, we just start up a new split based on the people who are staying.

I suppose for anyone who is coming at 2 and want to play some games, I can calculate the cost between 2 and 3 and then just add it to the split for the casuals after.

Lads, just to save time on the day. Could you provide the following info? I just need it to know who uses unlocked characters and controller preference so that Azza and I can divide the groups onto the appropriate machines (unlocked characters, X360 / Dualshock pad / Fightpad or just stick)

so just the following:

Name:
    Controller Preference:
    Main Character:
    Sub Character:

its no big deal if you don't post it here but it would just be handy to know these things now so that we can move through the organisation bit at the beginning quicker.

Example:

Name: Leprekaun
    Controller Preference:X360 pad
    Main Character: Ryu
    Sub Character: Sagat

For those who are worried that I'm limiting the character selection, I'm not. People can change character whenever they want, the idea is just to have an initial idea of who everyone uses so that they can be directed to the right consoles if they need to use a controller specific to a console or use a unlocked character. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

mate seriously have a set fee for the casuals (e.g. €5) and one for the tourny (€10) separately. Let the casual money pay for the rental of the machines and the tourny fee cover tournament entry (i.e. prizemoney)
    and have a strict start and end time.
    If a player comes late, tough **** they pay the same for the casuals as those there when it starts. it will be a messy nightmare for you otherwise.

If anyone independently wants to stay on and play afterwards, let them, you won't have to worry about it.

anyway i'm using Xbox and i use unlocked chars, like gouken.

I'll definitely be around long before 3...

• Advertisement

Well I use a 360 madcatz fightpad.

Ofcourse, If anybody has a ps3 fightpad Im sure I could use that instead for ps3 only opponents.

And regaerding the fee, I agree. Flat rate mate. Its simple and its fair. As Owwmykneecap said, if you arrived late thats your choice. You are using the same consoles as everyone else.

You don't pay less for a Car if you tell them you don't plan to use it much, do ya? Its the same price regardless.

I also think that with a flat rate, you can collect money when people arrive, as opposed to when people leave. Its got to be a headache keeping track of people at the end so getting the money off them as they arrive would probably be easier.

Advertisement