Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Round 3 Tournament - Registration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Tournament start and end time will be strict. There won't be any messing about there.

The problem with defining a flat rate for the casuals (before / after tourney) is that its dependant on the number of people there before / after. If say 4 people show up at 2, they'd only need 2 consoles, not 8 so it would be unfair to just say the cost is 8 consoles / 4 hours because some people showed up at 2.

Because if we were to do it this way, I'd be left with extra money that isn't needed for the tourney or casuals and if you were to say add that to the next tourney prize pot, I can't because I won't be here.

Ideally, the best and surest way of going about this is to limit casuals+tourney to the 3 hours stated so no gaming before / after. There will be 4 machines being used for casuals during the tourney so I think this would be the best method

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

3 seems a very late time to start.
    It's fine if just the tourny starts at 3 (in fact that's ideal) But i'd think people will want to be playing before that casually.

Have a fee for the casual aspect, think of it like the entry fee to the upstairs of XGC. People can pay it as soon as they walk in (at the agreed time) and sign their name.
    That way it doesnt really matter which of us are around first.

Work out the cost of the consoles for the full time (that the boards decide) and divide it by the number of people who should come (28 lets say) and work out a fair price, €5 for handiness sake
    Hand in your fiver to the guy on the desk, sign your name, and go on up and play SF

Take the money for the tournament (lets say €10) separately upstairs just before three when you are signing people up for the tourny. Obviously any tourny players who didnt sign the sheet downstairs paying the casual fee can be checked.

Now if the no. of people is below expected, there will be a shortfall in paying for machines.
    This can be taken from the prize pot, or everyone could chip in the difference (in my opinion option 1 is handiest here)
    either way it will be small

If the no of people is above expected, the money will cover the machines and have some spare, which in my opinion should go towards memory cards or fight pads (community owned ...) or can be added to the prize pot of the tourny.

Either way No one pays more than €15 and everyone has lots of games and the casual aspect isn't dependent on anyone person. (the tourny of course still is)
    And people who want to come and play but don't like the idea of a tourny (nerves, skill, no interest etc) can still come and for €5 get 3,4,5 hours of gaming whatever it may be.

Personally i think casuals should be from 1 or 2 pm. tourny at 3. end at 6. anyone who wants to stay on has to then go talk with the chinese guy at the desk, but I doubt anyone will, cause it will be pints time.

Charging separately for casuals/ tournament is how neoempire handle it.

Edit:To clarify one thing:
    Lets say the community wants to start casuals at 1, when the first few people turnup at 1 the guy will power up all 6 or 8 or whatever consoles for the entire period. they will fill up very quickly anyway
    You can't be going down to him every5 mins to boot up a new one and then at the end working out how much one costs for 5 hours and 27 minutes and how much one is for 4 hours and 12 minutes.
    It will be 6 consoles by 5 hours, simple round numbers.

I think we'll just make it 8 consoles / 4 hours. Considering that there is a huge number going, its very likely that at least a quarter or half of the people will show up early so I'm sure there will be a need for 8 consoles from 2 PM onwards.

I don't mean to be mean or anything but I'd prefer that we keep the costs and organisation between ourselves as much as possible because a lot of the guys there English is poor so it'll take ages to settle if there is surplus / shortfall.

So we'll just do a flat rate of 8 consoles / 4 hours + tournament entry fee so just €10+ X (split based on numbers there) so if there are 28 going, then it'll be €12.80 -round up to €13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

11 or 13 euro doesn't keep it simple at all Leprekaun, I agree with what others have posted on this and the last page (and what people have been saying before that) in making it 15. All this stuff about taking money from the prize pool depending on how long things go on etc. is complicating and frankly a little unfair on those who win prizes - the prize pool should be clear cut from the start of the tourrnament, when you know how many players you have playing, and a tenner per player, it should be clear how much the winning players will be receiving.

Also it seems like keeping casuals and prize pot money separate makes a lot of sense too with the numbers we're getting and the tournament only starting at 3. +1 to that.

edit: Ah seem to have misunderstood the first part, my apologies. Should read more carefully before I post. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

The set fee is the only way to go man,it'll keep things simpler for you and everyone involved.If there's a surplus it can go over to the next event or as Owwwmykneecap suggested,go towards memory cards.

I will be in Dublin from around half twelve and so will be at XGC at around 1 irrespective if there's anyone else around.I'll have to leave around half 6 as I want to be back in Belfast at a reasonable time so I can get boozed up!

Anyway,as you requested:

Name: Blag
    Controller Preference:Stick,prefere TE.
    Main Character: Bison
    Sub Character: Cammy

Name: Dreddy/Ciarán
    Controller preference: Stick, preference my modded SE
    No unlockable characters used

edit: Blag I may show up around one to give you a few games, haven't really gotten to play you much yet. If nobody else is there we can just rent out a console among ourselves or something.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I hope to be there by 1. I don't think 8 machines is too much on this occasion as the numbers look to be alot higher than before. Also I'd imagine that the XGC would want most people to be playing rather than spectating regardless of tournaments or casuals.

I'll be there at 1:00pm when try and finsihing unlocking Seth on the PS3 version.

I think you misunderstood me. I am in support of a flat rate. €10 entry fee is for the prize pot. Additional costs are based on console rental. I'll do the (console rental) split at around 2:50 based on the numbers there.

This console rent will be a flat rate of €80 (8 consoles / 4 hours). So I'm just saying that according to the numbers, the split will be made based on the €80 console rental fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.....unless there is somebody who plays him that hasn't come to a casual yet. He's a niche character, most of the people there will be Ryu, Gief, Akuma and Bison. If you know those 4 matchups, you are probably covering about 50% of the playerbase that will be in the tourney. You've got the odd blanka, viper, cammy and honda player but only one of each I think.

Was that you I played earlier btw? Neptunecake?

Nope my tag is araforn.theres a couple of matchs i know very well and at least 2 of em are in there but sim and seth are just killers for me.Im maining chun by the way.

• Advertisement

Name: BanjoB/Paul
    Controller Preference: Fightstick ,or just be awkward, a fightpad if im usin ryu!.
    Main Character: Chun li
    Sub Character: Ryu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Name: Emmett
    Controller Preference: Fightstick (Have 360 one, TE)
    Main Character: Viper
    Sub Character: Zangief, Ryu

Name: Andy
    Controller Preference: Fightstick (Have 360 one)
    Main Character: Chun
    Sub Character: Balrog?

Name: Chris
    Controller Preference: 360 Pad
    Main Character: Sakura
    Sub Character: ???

Name: Kev
    Controller Preference: 360 Pad
    Main Character: Sagat
    Sub Character: ???

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

blag wrote: »
    I will be in Dublin from around half twelve

Chap are you bussing it down? If so, which one? I'm thinking a bit of meeting up and travelling down is in order.

Name: mr_kyle
    Controller Preference: 360 arcade stick, will be bringing my own and a 360 SFIV
    Main Character: The Gief
    Sub Character: Akuma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Leprekaun wrote: »
    The problem with defining a flat rate for the casuals (before / after tourney) is that its dependant on the number of people there before / after.

Well whatever is simplest for yourself. I think though the whole thing should be made as simple as possible to host so that if you aren't there another person could do it.

It should be as simple as just having a guy that you give money to, who doesn't need to count heads or keep track of people if they are leaving. Dividing up hours of usage and how many consoles are there just makes it complicated.

Also, I can be there for 1pm also. I'm guessing the early arrivers will be renting their own machines yeah?

Here is my info:

Name: leimrod
    Controller Preference: Stick, prefer TE.
    Main Character: Akuma
    Sub Character: Sagat

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

mr_kyle wrote: »
    Chap are you bussing it down? If so, which one? I'm thinking a bit of meeting up and travelling down is in order.

Name: mr_kyle
    Controller Preference: 360 arcade stick, will be bringing my own and a 360 SFIV
    Main Character: The Gief
    Sub Character: Akuma

I'm gettin' the train down,I'm sick of the bus,I'm too lanky for the cramped seats!

The train's cheaper too,it's £17.50 day return if you buy online a few days in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

blag wrote: »
    I'm gettin' the train down,I'm sick of the bus,I'm too lanky for the cramped seats!

The train's cheaper too,it's £17.50 day return if you buy online a few days in advance.

Crap I guess I missed out on that on. No problem chap I will see you down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Name: sagat08/Graham
    Controller Preference: TE
    Main Character: Blanka
    Sub Character: Ryu - equally bad with everyone else!

I should arrive at Busáras at around 1:30. Will probably take me 10/15 minutes to get to XGC so should be there around 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Name: Kiki (Ciarán)
    Controller: Arcade stick (bringing 2 PS3/360 dual-console sticks)
    Main: Honda
    Sub: Abel

Hey lads..if im at busarus..how far and roughly where is XGC from there..cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

15 minute walk at most if you head down the quays towards city centre. It's not hard to find if you can locate liffey street on a map, it's parallel to o'connell street.

Yeah as retro said just a 15min walk. Map

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hey lads..if im at busarus..how far and roughly where is XGC from there..cheers.

when are you arriving at Busáras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

BanjoB wrote: »
    You can also take the Luas down to Jervis and then it's 2 mins walk away.

The XGC place is in Lower Liffey St. Just go to google maps and type in the that street name and busaras and it'll give you directions.

Edit: here's the google maps link http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=busaras&daddr=Lower+Liffey+St,+Dublin,+Co.+Dublin,+Republic+of+Ireland&geocode=&view=map&hl=en&gl=uk&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=53.3495,-6.25511&sspn=0.003394,0.006212&ie=UTF8&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Witch has shown a top 3 finish in both tournaments.

Last time didnt he get knocked out before the finals in the last tourny? :confused: He just played Casual after it xD

Ohh Quick Edit... Would anyone like to rent a PC with me? to watch EVO live? Cant wait for it TBH

Yeah I knocked him out of the last one and I most certainly didn't get top 3, forgot that when I last posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I'll probably be there at 1-1:30 so if anyone else is there we might as well get in some games.

Name: DarkTalant (Ewan)
    Controller Preference:stick
    Main Character:Boxer

Also, 1-2 more people might be coming up with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Name: Bush
    Controller: 360 stick
    Main: Blanka
    Sub: Rufus/Chun li/Honda

Who is gonna bring their memory cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Name: CodeMonkey
    Controller: Madcatz SE Stick
    Main: Vega