Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iveagh Market..

Options
  • 11-07-2009 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Does anyone know the reasons of the Iveagh Market closing or if it will ever reopen??

It seems an awful waste of such a big building and I'm sure in todays economic state people would enjoy spending a weekend afternoon browsing the stalls..

any insight would be great...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I used to live right beside it several years ago and the only activity I ever saw going on was a Boyzone video shoot. Ideally they'd reopen it as a market but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

don't think martin keane can get the finance for it, there's articles fairly regulalry in the papers about what stage it's at. But you're right, great building, shame to have it boarded up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was plans for a huge development on the site of it, say they're down the drain now mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

DCC still own the market building. They entered a joint agreement with Martin Keane in 2000. The market was to reopen as part of a new hotel complex. As far as I know part of the old city wall was discovered on the site and this delayed things. Planning permission was finally granted in March 2007 with 30 conditions. For example. The basement couldn't be used as a nightclub and DCC were to get €475,000 from Keane towards the cost of Metro North. I guess that left a bad taste in the mouth because nothing has happened since and in this climate its unlikely to. However DCC have the power to develop the market and get it back into some form of use. But like so many things they touch, its usually drenched in failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Terrible to see Mother Redcaps being bulldozed for this (and various sections of city wall being incorporated into what is essentially a commercial development) - I only hope it's all worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Terrible to see Mother Redcaps being bulldozed for this (and various sections of city wall being incorporated into what is essentially a commercial development) - I only hope it's all worth it

its commercial yes, but realistically it should bring in investment and footfall into an area that needs it.

There are various derelict buildings across the city that are just being sat on for no real good reason.

Would you prefer this place just fell apart ? In reality there is no hope of anything else for the location, it wont return to a traders market thats not feasible.

listermint wrote: »
    its commercial yes, but realistically it should bring in investment and footfall into an area that needs it.

There are various derelict buildings across the city that are just being sat on for no real good reason.

Would you prefer this place just fell apart ? In reality there is no hope of anything else for the location, it wont return to a traders market thats not feasible.

I'm all for the idea, I just wished it showed a little more imagination in terms of reusing the existing buildings - especially as Mother Redcaps is a very charming old stone building. Also, there is an awful amount of the actual market building to be demolished, which I think is excessive. Plus, as the developer, the owner of the Oliver St John Gogarty pub and Blooms hotel, is known for 'tourist' enterprises, I would hope that the new development also caters for locals and brings something back to the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Any enterprise of this nature will have to target tourists, it wont survive as a 'locals' market.

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Any enterprise of this nature will have to target tourists, it wont survive as a 'locals' market.

Great news.

Not sure why you would say that, Dublin is crying out for a permanent foody/craft type market and D8 is the perfect location

• Advertisement

Great news.

Agreed, but the two examples I mentioned above are out and out tourist traps, and unashamedly so – There’s a difference between ‘attracting’ and ‘fleecing’ and I just hope this venture gets the balance right and has ‘something’ for locals

• Registered Users Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm all for the idea, I just wished it showed a little more imagination in terms of reusing the existing buildings - especially as Mother Redcaps is a very charming old stone building. Also, there is an awful amount of the actual market building to be demolished, which I think is excessive. Plus, as the developer, the owner of the Oliver St John Gogarty pub and Blooms hotel, is known for 'tourist' enterprises, I would hope that the new development also caters for locals and brings something back to the area

Have you seen the plans ?? :confused:

As far as i can see they want to incorporate a Micro Brewery etc. I am unsure where the full details of what is intended are can you post a link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

This building has been sitting empty for 20 years. It could have easily been sitting for another 20 without private investment. No state body will have the desire or money to develop it themselves. Sometimes old buildings have to be knocked for the new buildings to be built. We wouldn't have grand Georgian buildings if we kept medical Dublin.

A empty building isnt bringing anything to the area. A massive development like this will. A lot of people would Dublin be crumbling and original. Than the modern and higher density city it needs to be. Who cares if this ends up being touristy. Tourism is so important to Dublin. Hundreds of thousands of jobs rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Was in Cork last weekend and the English Market is a great resource. Would be fantastic to have similar in the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Birneybau wrote: »
    Was in Cork last weekend and the English Market is a great resource. Would be fantastic to have similar in the capital city.

That's what is planned for the old fruit and vegetable market in Smithfield

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/part-viii-wholesale-fruit-and-vegetable-market

So there may well end up being two similar markets one on either side of the river.

drumswan wrote: »
    Not sure why you would say that, Dublin is crying out for a permanent foody/craft type market and D8 is the perfect location

I think it will have a better chance of thriving if its on a tourist checklist. 90 million is a lot to recoup by relying on local trade only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sure where it is as a location, is perfect for attracting the tourist trade. Close enough to St. Patrick's Cathedral and Christchurch, and along the walking route towards the Guinness Storehouse. It's a beautiful building in its own right, having been in it years ago when they opened it up for something briefly, however it does need to be brought to a usable state and bringing in some local cash. Hopefully some of the locals will be able to secure jobs there also.

Glad to see that there is finally some movement on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I was in Madrid recently, in this food market, thinking about how incredible it would be to have something similar in Dublin:

http://www.mercadodesanmiguel.es/

This site is in Spanish, which I don't speak, but the photos will give you an idea. It's just the most incredible building (a market housed in a Victorian style glass and iron conservatory), full of light, music, a great buzz, the most amazing food stalls ever. It also gets 75,000 visitors a week to just 33 stalls. I know Dublin has nothing like the same population, but there could just be so much potential in a similar venture. Pick up your fruit and veg during the day, come back in the evening for music and wine with your tapas! It would be amazing, for Dubliners as well as the tourist trade.

We can only hope I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I think it will have a better chance of thriving if its on a tourist checklist. 90 million is a lot to recoup by relying on local trade only.

The income from the planned hotel/apartments will also help.

Overall, I think its a great idea and will help with the regeneration of that area. Teeling's new distillery won't be that far away either afaik.

The great market in Budapest provides a brilliant balance between tourist and local - it's packed with little bars, hot food and various other bits and bobs and also has a mainstream supermarket beneath it.

http://www.budapestbylocals.com/great-market-hall.html

This is the sort of place I hope it is - somewhere locals and tourists alike can go to buy something, eat or have a few drinks - and not a Carrolls Irish Gifts/Leprechaun/Irish Whiskey Museum/Temple Bar pub tourist trap filled with paddywhackery and overpriced food and drink

Sorry for being skeptical

• Advertisement

Ive been to that one in Barcelona, I think that's what I had in mind envisaging a market as a cultural destination as much as a place for practicalities.

The market in Howth does great trade from visiting tourists. Its small with only a handful of stalls, mostly food, and the tourist feedback is positive. Not a leprechaun or Guinness hat to be seen anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

sounds fatastic, very exciting for the area. I think like Stoneybatter many years ago, the liberties is starting to become more middle class, probably as a result of property prices/rent in D1/D2 going so high.

I'd be concerned for the fruit&veg markets though. Is Dublin big enough for two such establishments? The fruit and veg markets are also a focal point for a larger redevelopment of a neglected area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Ive been to that one in Barcelona, I think that's what I had in mind envisaging a market as a cultural destination as much as a place for practicalities.

I was there a couple of months ago. Fantastic place. I must post some of my photos!

I pass the Iveagh Market every weekend and am really looking forward to (hopefully) seeing something similar there in the next few years.

Huge amounts of tourists and locals pass that area day in & day out. I think it will do well. Productions at the Tivoli will generate some business, as will Vicar St, and hopefully they will feed off each other to increase activity in the area in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

There was also a laundry and delousing house in an adjoining building.
    :eek:

Delousing of people or bedclothes?

Advertisement