Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word for private parts??

Options
  • 11-07-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

This isn't exactly parenting cause there not my kids but I'm au pairing two spanish kids, a boy who's 3 and a girl who's 5. The problem is that the girl keeps asking me what is the english for vagina. I mean for the boy I have willy (it's pretty standard, yeah?) but i've got nothing for the girl.
    I know, yes, teach the kids the really words but i mean, they're ugly words and I want other kids to understand them too.
    When I was kids I said "front bum" but thats a bit wierd anyone know anything better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

the girl keeps asking me what is the english for vagina
    The English for Vagina is just that ,Vagina .As for a more subtle childish word you could refer to it as ' fairy '.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What age are these children? I would simply tell them the words - no word is ugly or pretty. Treat it as a matter of fact, and pass on, the same as if they asked you the word for a tin-opener.

But if they keep wanting to talk about this all the time, at that age, it would ring alarm bells for me - it would suggest 'inappropriate sexualisation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have my 4 year old son calling his private parts his "gentlemans area", so how about ladies area or somthing like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fanny, Vagina is only part of the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

illiop wrote: »
    This isn't exactly parenting cause there not my kids but I'm au pairing two spanish kids, a boy who's 3 and a girl who's 5. The problem is that the girl keeps asking me what is the english for vagina. I mean for the boy I have willy (it's pretty standard, yeah?) but i've got nothing for the girl.
    I know, yes, teach the kids the really words but i mean, they're ugly words and I want other kids to understand them too.
    When I was kids I said "front bum" but thats a bit wierd anyone know anything better?

They're not ugly words, they are simply words plain and simple. We teach kids the correct names for various other parts of their bodies so what on earth is wrong with giving them the correct names for their sexual/ reproductive organs. Making a big deal of it is what makes it interesting for them.
    Tell them the correct names but say that usually people refer to them as............ and you can say willy, front bum, fanny, whatever you want from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you speak to the child's mother about the and if the question is to be answered it should be with a word the parents are comfortable with.
    In this house hold girls have Yoni which is an ancient Sanskrit word for the female genitals and is not as harsh or odd sounding as some of the other terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Smylee

In our house it is just a 'gina'
    Not as harsh sounding but the same idea.
    I have heard many, tutu, winkie, bum bum, lala, to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

My little girl is 3 and has settled on calling her vagina "flossy" which i see no harm in, but as someone already mentioned its best to speak with the parents and if their comfortable with the proper wording then so be it. I personally think there is a taboo about the word vagina when it comes to little girls..

I dunno why, but I just remember being young and when another child mentioned the word vagina it felt like you where doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

I have such a clear memory of my mum sitting me down and teaching me about my body when i was quiet young I remember being so embarrassed to say vagina when my mum asked me did I know the correct name.

Advertisement