Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy wet summer weather?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

Well, what's the chances of catching fishys tonight. Lets say your local stream is a foot higher, muddy, raining constantly. Do you give up with flies and turn to spinners or worms, or just not try?

How does it affect shore fishing?

How does the drop in water tempature change loch fishing? Is surface fishing a no no?

Obvious questions to a few of you. All answers appreciated.

To the Dubs among you, the Dodder will be a raging torrent tonight and tomorrow, who could catch a fish then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Id go for worms in a coloured river Doc.
    If you on a small river somewhere on a bend where the flow slows as fish wont be in the main current.
    If it stopped raining tonight id hit the river tommorow a rive rising is usally not great for fishing.
    Many years ago in a small river in Mayo in full flood in summer water was chocolate caught about 1 5 trout from 4 ounces to 2 pound on bend on worms.
    Id ledger a worm hard on the bottom or also use round shot and let the worm bounce along the bottom hoping in ends in the mouth of a hungry trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

i'm heading to a small river after 7pm till dark tonight. Any advice on what flies to use? river will be heavy and muddyish.

was thinking of trying something sparkly! (very technical term :rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

... say your local stream is a foot higher, muddy, raining constantly. Do you give up with flies and turn to spinners or worms ...

Think "still water", and in particular focus on the lakes which don't have a possibly muddy inflowing stream. These are the spring fed loughs that have a reputation for very clear water, and hard fishing (usually), but after rain they come into their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

thanks cw,

but i'm focused on this small river for this year and I want to fish it in all its moods. i'm trying to throw a line in every kilometer of it.

tonight i waded through a stretch i'm fairly certain hasn't been fished for a few years, a lot of overhanging trees and no places to get out of it.
    (thankfully i filled my waders with water a few nights ago to find a particularly tiny hole that was annoying the hell outta me)
    a couple of small trout had their own pools but my noisy casting scared them off.
    Was roll casting, dappling and basically messing about, no real room for full casts.
    what hit me tonight was that being in the river is completely different from fishing on the bank. basically if you slip, its possible you'll be in big trouble. when the sun went in the river changed from welcoming to knowing too much about death. it's an unnerving feeling to know that you're walking down a river no man has strolled down in many years, possibly a thousand years, and that if you don't treat it with respect it'll scoop the legs out from under you and find a nice 50 year old sunken trunk to snag you under.

i finished off the evening by fishing until dark in a pool with a couple of very active brown trout, got a couple of takes but mostly they just looked at me wondering what the hell i thought i was doing.
    so as far as catching goes i was 100% a failure and as far as angling goes i lost myself in the river, which is all i ever wanted in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

... so as far as catching goes i was 100% a failure and as far as angling goes i lost myself in the river, which is all i ever wanted in the first place.
    The catching is fun, but if it was only about the catching, we would use a net! Sounds like you had a good evening on the river. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement