Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread needed?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Do we need a thread for general chat? Like the bars in LL and Noc? I see some other regional forum has them, do you think we could do with one too?

Yes, no, maybe? 32 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    43% 14 votes
    Maybe, like whatever dude
    56% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I think it's a good idea, keeps drunken banter out of serious threads. Definitely will help keep me from crossing that line.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Nah, big long threads are a pain in the hole.

I do think you should allow general chat threads though. I know it's a Galway City forum, but in fairness we know most of the gang here can take an 'off-topic' thread every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would say it's not needed. This forum is a catch-all for goings-on in Galway city and so it already has a wide-range of topics.
    galwayrush wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea, keeps drunken banter out of serious threads.
    Is there that much drunken banter in serious threads? I haven't noticed much but then it can be hard to know the state of mind of a poster just from what they write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Magnus wrote: »
    Do we need a thread for general chat? Like the bars in LL and Noc? I see some other regional forum has them, do you think we could do with one too?

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This forum doesn't need an Off-Topic-Thread as much as others IMO. The banter is great in the Galway forum and do we need to change it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If it ain't broke.... then break it

No. If you want to have off-topic posting, go to tCN or AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

snubbleste wrote: »

If it ain't broke, rob it 'cause I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Not needed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

No need for change I think... sure the craic is mighty... I think most people like the way threads here tend to meander into off-topic territory from time to time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So sick of these O/T threads on every forum. No need for one here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don't care, if you make one...well, there's nothing forcing me to contribute to it so it won't make a difference to my posting/viewing habits. (That does not mean that I would not post in it, just that I won't miss it if you don't create an o/t thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah, agree mostly with Mactard. No harm if you make one I suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

No, personally I hate those mega-threads in every forum now. Besides it would definitely rob us of some of the more... interesting threads like the Chronic masturbator or "need galway man"...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

ah please don't. off topic banter is a way of net life. most posters on this site as far as i can see can handle that. a general chat thread would just turn into a complete mess, and a very long one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's too close to call yet imo, will leave it open another while. The Galway Racists thread seems to have taken off too.

toiletduck wrote: »
    Besides it would definitely rob us of some of the more... interesting threads like the Chronic masturbator or "need galway man"...
    That's a very good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

malice_ wrote: »
    That's a very good point!

+1

15 No
    12 Yes
    People has spoken

• Advertisement

Hooray for democracy or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Magnus wrote: »
    15 No
    12 Yes
    People has spoken

Give it another go as per your sig :D

Will just have to wait a year for everyone to get more informed on the "benefits" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

yes are catching up!:Deven tho i picked the third option.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Nah, big long threads are a pain in the hole.

I do think you should allow general chat threads though. I know it's a Galway City forum, but in fairness we know most of the gang here can take an 'off-topic' thread every now and again.

Off topic? But what about the guy I met walking into town the last day with three botles of B, a ticket for the races and never bothered to indicate. What do you think of the New Living Room. I like jam. Terrible weather out. Which bus goes to Kingston? Where can I get my moustache coiffeured in town. Anyone know any jokes.

No!

Advertisement