Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying a bank giro with a post dated cheque

Options
  • 11-07-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Can I pay a bank giro with a post dated cheque?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Do you mean can you go into a bank with a giro and use a post dated cheque to pay it? No, you can't. The cashier will not be able to process a post dated cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dee_f

oh dear - oh well - thanks anyway!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When is the cheque dated for? Would it be possible to wait to pay the giro until that date?

I was gonna date the cheque for when I had the money - two weeks after the giro is due! but so be it - I'll have to ask someone for a loan

Well if you were to present the cheque now and the teller didn't notice it was post dated, it would debit your account now, regardless of what date you put on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Post dating a chq is not allowed. Best to wait till you've got the funds.

If the teller did process it, it may come back unpaid cause you've no funds and you've no come back with the bank cause you post dated the chq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Toots* wrote: »
    Well if you were to present the cheque now and the teller didn't notice it was post dated, it would debit your account now, regardless of what date you put on it.

Post dated cheques are fraudulent and if you knowingly lodged a post dated cheque you would be culpable

Slice wrote: »
    Post dated cheques are fraudulent and if you knowingly lodged a post dated cheque you would be culpable

That's why I said not to lodge it, it's not valid until the date on the cheque has passed. Chances are that the teller will cop it, but even if they don't there's no point post dating it if you're lodging it yourself, it won't delay the funds being debited from your account.

Thanks - Ive found someone who can lend me the cash thankfully!

Advertisement