Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Bags

Options
  • 11-07-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

Ill throw this one out there.

Customer buys a btle of wine, also buys a plastic bag. Wine is palced in bag and as the customer leaves the shop the bag fails and wine ends up all over the shop.

Solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Dont use a bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Happened to me with some groceries in Dunnes. I was told I had to pay if I wanted another one. Was shocked. It just ripped straight away when bagging a few groceries that weren't even heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the bag was bought in a wine shop so would reasonably have been expected to hold a bottle or two but was not fit for its purpose so you can expect a repair replacement or refund, but i am not sure if because it was paid for that then affords the customer some protection in the event of the bag failing and the wine hitting the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Im not too worried about the bag, its the bottle of wine im interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did you buy the bag or did you pay the gov bag levy?

If you paid the levy you didn't buy a product and then don't have any rights as a consumer in that sense.

On the other hand if the bag was offered as part of the service than you could claim that the service wasn't supplied to your satisfaction and you could pursue a redress.

In my opinion, once you bought your wine you own it and it'sup to you to mind it, it was unlucky but you have liability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the bag was bought in a wine shop so would reasonably have been expected to hold a bottle or two but was not fit for its purpose so you can expect a repair replacement or refund, but i am not sure if because it was paid for that then affords the customer some protection in the event of the bag failing and the wine hitting the street?

The bag payment is a tax though and the shop does not benefit from it, even so if the consumer did pay extra for the bag beyond the tax then sure they can get a replacement, repair or refund for the cost of the bag....not its contents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If it happened inside the shop you'd think the wine would be replaced out of good will. Don't think they would be obliged to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

was it a paper bag or a plastic bag?

sometimes a paper bag is use to wrap the wine, but common sense will tell you that you need to hold the bottle.

if a plastic bag, then you could argue that it should have been strong enough to hold the wine, but then it woould depend on how it was presented to you in the store - was it used as a wrap or was it given to you ready for carrying with the handles.

imo - take it as a lesson learnt that most basic bags are not suitable for carrying heavy bottles and need to be held rather than carried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

My local fruit & veg shop once had a sign up saying - "everything here is guaranteed, except the handles of our carrier bags" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

So your buying the crap bags again eh?

personally from your point i would weigh up the situation. Good repeat customer replace the wine.

Once off customer/blow sorry nothing i can do.

• Advertisement

yup crap bags, yeah i replaced the wine coz i felt that the bag should have at least got him to the door :D.

Pain in the arse though, might have a word with the pgking rep.

who are you using or what bags are you using? your own branded ones or those brown bio degradable ones?

the brown ones stay well clear, i ran out and had to use a batch never again. They didnt tear but they failed miserably if you put in more than 3 moderate weighted items.

Our branded ones never give me trouble.

Ps get rep to cover half the price of the wine.

Zeus, branded plastic. dont worry the rep will have his ear bent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Shelflife wrote: »
    make the plastic bag rep pay for the wine!

Shelflife wrote: »

ha ha should have guessed

Advertisement