Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nissan Vanette?

• 11-07-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Been thinking of getting a Nissan Vanette for towing my offroader and as a daily driver.
    I've been looking at a 00 model thats going cheap.
    Would be very interested to know anything about them and how much they can tow safely etc
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

They can rot a little, even ones as new as that.

Under the floor at the front, the chassis out riggers go to shyte on them.

They can also suffer with poor enough rear brakes. Nearly everyone of them breaks the spot welds inside the drivers door beside the hinges. Just throw open the door and you will see the door rubber moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

That doesnt sound to bad, will keep an eye for it but doesnt sound like anything really serious. Any idea what they can tow? Thanks

Sorry, not a clue on that end.

They would probably be more stable with a bit of weight on them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

I wonder is there any kind of database where all that info about towing weights is kept?
    Probably need to do longish distances too are they comfy enough?

I doubt they would be that comfy.

There is a very narrow base on the seat and the side of the seat if often quite collapsed from people sliding across it as they get out.

There is one in work, I'll look at the gross towing weight on Monday for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Don't touch them, as mentioned rot is a serious problem with them especially the tops of the front shock turrets eventually leading to the shock pushing through the body or when jacked the strut and spring assembly falling out, inner tie rod ends wear and not available seperatly(have to buy complete rack) universal joints wear on the drive shafts and not replacable so needs either a complete new shaft or a driveshaft shop to make new shaft with replacable U/J's, front wishbones rear bushes wear and also not available separatly have to buy complete wishbone, rear hubseals leak destroying the brake shoes and not straight forward to replace seal and bearing. Buy a Hiace and drive forever:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

they are rubbish. Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

all of the above.

plus the 2.3d is ridiculously slow, even unladen.

Advertisement