Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 British soldiers dead in 10 days

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

self delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Biggins wrote: »

I love the last one.

The whole thing, 9/11, the attacks on USS cole, the whole lot, were staged simply as an excuse for the US to enter Afghanistan. It even claims that Bin Laden was selected by the Saudis on behalf of the US government.

All that so a pipeline could be built from Turkmenistan to India.

isn't the comedy forum that way somewhere>>?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I love the last one...

I provided the above links without comment either way.
    There is the more accurate reporting and then there is the conspiracy stuff.
    Its down to the individual what to believe.

I provided the above links without comment either way.
    There is the more accurate reporting and then there is the conspiracy stuff.
    Its down to the individual what to believe.

that is what i had presumed.:)

it doesn't stack up. The link with oil/Gas is just too tenuous. why go to all that hassle when you can just bypass the country? as i showed in my link, there are plenty of pipelines in that area already, why start a war just to build one more, that isn't even pointing in your direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

you can read? He asked you to show the pipeline on the map, not a report from the BBC from 2002 about a proposed pipeline which clearly has not been built.

And what exactly do you believe here. Are you a troofer? Is 9/11 and all that caused by the desire to build a pipeline in the future, one which was never actually built, and would be of little benefit to the US anyway. What a weird ruling class, huh, they can carry out 9/11 and other false flags to get a war started, to get a pipeline built. They just cant get a pipeline built.

Conspiracy forum that way <

they think it was the lizard men.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I know people who went to Afghanistan, and some who are out there right now. They haven't a f*cking clue to be honest, outside of vague patriotic notions (usually jingoistic to be honest), they couldn't tell you the first thing about the reasons why they've been sent to fight and die for an oil pipeline and geo-political strategy.

OK, this should be interesting. Where have I posted any jingoistic patriotic notions about my presence in Afghanistan?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's because you're in denial, serving under a blanket of ignorance and military propaganda. You should open your mind and accept the views and opinions of people who have never been tainted by actual experiencing life on the ground.

Or own up to being a pipe fitter :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

if they were not in afghanistan - they most likely would be alive

its a sad reality but you live by the gun, you die by it too

• Advertisement

That's because you're in denial, serving under a blanket of ignorance and military propaganda. You should open your mind and accept the views and opinions of people who have never been tainted by actual experiencing life on the ground.

Ah. Fair point.
    if they were not in afghanistan - they most likely would be alive

See bizarre statistics on death rates on roads vs war zones. The method of death may be different, but the deaths themselves continue. By way of example, after a quick two-minute search for incidents in the last month:

http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_12654752
    Iraq veteran killed in quarry accident: Authorities say an Iraq war veteran has died after hitting his head on rocks while swimming at a Quincy quarry.
    Norfolk District Attorney William Keating says 21-year-old Patrick Coughlin's body was recovered at about 6:20 a.m. yesterday, after his friends reported him missing at about 2 a.m.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12822204?source=rss
    Fort Carson veteran killed in car crash: Mark Ecker, 23, of East Longmeadow, Ma., was ejected from the Pontiac Sunfire when it went out of control and rolled on Interstate 93 near Lawrence on Friday, according to The Associated Press.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-libowe2312907847jun22,0,4545076.story
    Robert Bowen, 34, of Ronkonkoma, an Iraq war veteran and a seven-year Suffolk police officer, died Monday after a car crash on the LIE.

I recall at one incident last year where a soldier was killed in a mugging in California the day after he got back from Iraq. Can you imagine that? Spending a year in a war zone, only to be killed by some thug who wanted your wallet.

NTM

most likely

anyway - my main point they should not be there

and since they are and they chose it - im sad for their deaths - but you live by the gun you die by the gun

anyway - my main point they should not be there

Why?

if you make a point, surely you should back it up with some logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

asdasd wrote: »
    Thats because the Indymedia view of the world is not the correct one. The West is there to stop the Taleban running the place. Bugger all to do with a non-existant oil pipeline.

Back to the point I was making, do you think the youngfellas out there give a sh*t about that position, or understand it even? They're motivated by "serving your country innit?" and the other youngfellas next to them in the foxhole.
    If the Taleban run the place then there will be hell to pay across Europe and America in the next few years, possibly a nuclear attack. There were well documented reports of British born muslims going to Afghanistan for training, and the 9/11 goobers went there. Osama lives in a cave there. If he is not dead. Allowing a whole country, awash with drug money, to stay in Taleban control would be a nightmare.

Half the drug money was held in the hands of the allies the "West" was supporting for years, the Northern Alliance. The fact you think the "West" is motivated solely by a desire to maintain peace in the area is laughable, especially considering it was they who armed and trained the Taliban in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The fact you think the "West" is motivated solely by a desire to maintain peace in the area is laughable, especially considering it was they who armed and trained the Taliban in the first place.

You need to actually learn to read. Seriously. you are responding to this comment.
    If the Taleban run the place then there will be hell to pay across Europe and America in the next few years, possibly a nuclear attack. There were well documented reports of British born muslims going to Afghanistan for training, and the 9/11 goobers went there. Osama lives in a cave there. If he is not dead. Allowing a whole country, awash with drug money, to stay in Taleban control would be a nightmare.

Its hard to argue with people who are arguing with shadows, I said nothing about peace in the region ( the Taliban could win and bring peace) . Nor do I care that some of the Northern Alliance also controlled the drug supply. I said nothing about that either. If there are going to be drugs, let them have it, not the Taliban. I am not going to bother writing what I wrote again, but you should try and actually read what I said.

As for the comment about the soldiers, I am sure some of them are motivated by mere soldiery and would go anywhere. I dont see how that is relevant either.

AS it happens this war is getting bad press int the shires. So the Governments of the West should come out and say what I said: nothing about peace, justice, democracy - all about not having a failed State run by religious lunatics with stated aims to get nuclear bombs next door to a comprimsed nulcear power.

gurramok wrote: »
    Pakistan are fighting them.

I think its an exaggeration that there is a terrorist threat from an impoverished nation like Afghanistan.

Where will they get a nuclear bomb from? It certainly ain't Pakistan!!

N Korea is impoverished but they at the very least have enough for a dirty bomb. I think the Al Qaeda folk would be more likely than the Koreans to mess up a city in the West. Im no fan of the war in Afghanistan but this scenario isnt that far fetched.

I cant seem to find a proper strategy or direction for the Wests war in Afghanistan they are there nearly a decade and still parts of the country are lawless. I will say however that a peaceful non Taliban run Afghanistan would be far better for the West. If the West somehow pulls this one off and Afghanistan develops to the point of being able to ditch the poppy crop then it could be worth it just for that alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I will say however that a peaceful non Taliban run Afghanistan would be far better for the West. If the West somehow pulls this one off and Afghanistan develops to the point of being able to ditch the poppy crop then it could be worth it just for that alone!
    Ironically it was the lawlessness and barbarity of the tribal-run post-Soviet war Afghanistan which gave rise to the Taliban in the first place.
    I think you're dreaming if you actually imagine Afghanistan ditching the poppy.
    Karzai certinaly knows the limits of his influence in that respect.

Why?

if you make a point, surely you should back it up with some logic.

it is not the streets of britain....... :confused:

this is why i dislike this forum - there is also a few who ask for proof of a bleedin obvious statement

it is not the streets of britain....... :confused:

this is why i dislike this forum - there is also a few who ask for proof of a bleedin obvious statement

So UN sanctioned intervention in countries is wrong? Are you lobbying your TD to bring the Irish troops back from Chad?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

gurramok wrote: »
    No. Britain should be able to protect itself internally from these matters instead of going to a long distant country...

Then the fighting would be taking place in Britain. Any country with a realistic defence policy choses to do the fighting on their enemy's patch.

• Advertisement

Just forgetting Al Qeada and their threat to the west, imagine if they got control of Pakistan.......

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Just forgetting Al Qeada and their threat to the west, imagine if they got control of Pakistan.......

It seems virtually inevitable to me, sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It is only inevitable if they are not resisted. The people of the Swat valley got a taste of life under the Taliban & Al Queda and did not welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

90% of the worlds Heroine drug trade comes from the Helmand province.
    This is why the area is of strategic importance to Taliban/AlQueda. By going in now while they still can, the troops are helping the cut off an absolutely HUGE source of funding for Taliban/AlQueda.

But opium production in Afganistan became WORSE after the taliban was ousted :confused:

Bob Z wrote: »
    But opium production in Afganistan became WORSE after the taliban was ousted :confused:

Realpolitik in effect. Now they no longer control the country, they need money to conduct a war. The more money the better, and I don't think they're in a position to be too picky over where it comes from. Opium is a fairly high-profit product which a lot of 'reputable' people and places won't deal with. If they're pariahs anyway, what have they to lose by dealing with it?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Won't happen. Too many other factions will get there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Realpolitik in effect. Now they no longer control the country, they need money to conduct a war. The more money the better, and I don't think they're in a position to be too picky over where it comes from. Opium is a fairly high-profit product which a lot of 'reputable' people and places won't deal with. If they're pariahs anyway, what have they to lose by dealing with it?

NTM

So Britain has to stay in Afganistan because of the opium production which wasnt really happening before they got there?

Maybe its not the taliban thats selling it so much as Afganistan Allies?

Advertisement