Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription sunglasses for trip to Nepal

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

I am planing to do some hill trekking in Nepal next year - probably toto Everest base camp.
    The problem is I am very short-sighted and I have been told that the glare off the snow can damage your eyes if you don't wear some king of UV protection.
    I am about to get a new pair of glasses and thought that I owuld try and plan ahead.

What do people normally do who wear glasses when there is a lot of glare from snow?

I have considered wearing normal sun glasses over contact disposables but at the best of times I am not a fan of contacts and I am worried about picking up an eye infection due to the unsanitary conditions when putting them in and taking them out.

I know you can add some type of coating to normal glasses which adds UV protection? Anyone use this? Is it good enough for what I have in mind?

The other option would be a pair of prescription sun glasses? Any good on-line stores where I could have a set made up cheaply once I have my prescription?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Not sure what time of year you're going at but you are unlikely to get a lot of snow on way up to BC during normal trekking season. BC itself is on the glacier but is so rock/dust strewn as to feel unlike being on snow.
    I would get a second pair of prescription glasses with a heavy tint. On the few occasions when this is not enough bring a pair of ski goggles. you can buy ones designed to fit over prescription specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

As above, i doubt snow will be much of a problem. However, the UV rays are more damaging at high altitude so you'd want to be wearing your glasses to protect your eyes anyway. I say get a pair of prescription sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Hi,

I was at EBC last March/April. There was some snow on the way down, which was highly unusual.

I'd agree with the previous posting about UV being more intense at altitude. Plus, you will be outdoors for > 8 hours per day in the sun which you may not be used to.

It is worth avoiding contact lenses due to the high levels of dust on the trail, especially when a yak train passes!

So, I'd advise that sunglasses (prescription if you need them) are an absolute must; glacier glasses are not required. A pair of ski goggles would be useful in the event you encounter an unusual snow event or intend to cross the Cho La or another high pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice.
    I have availed of the 2 for 1 offer at specsavers to pick up a pair of prescription sun glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

As a contact lens wearer, I would definitely stock up on daily disposable lenses (more hygenic option for such a trip) plus a pair of prescription sunglasses, as a backup.

I'm no expert on the conditions you will face in Nepal, but when I'm out on the mountains I always wear my lenses and would never dream of wearing glasses...risk of falling off, disaster in the rain etc.

It would be a good idea to bring a supply of dailies just in case, imo. Best of luck with the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You'd need cat 4 sunglasses, I'm sure you can get perscription lenses made.

Advertisement