Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation Please

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am looking to get a tattoo with the phrase "walk on" but I am looking to have it done in celtic/gaelic. Can anyone help translate this for me?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

I'd get many many opinions on this before you take the plunge, for obvious reasons. For example this horror story:
    http://news.bmezine.com/2007/02/23/drugail-saor/

Personally i'd translate it as

"Siúl ar aghaidh"

literally means more "walk at the face of", but actually means "walk on" more or less. Although i might be about to be very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Siúl ar aghaidh

I would agree with that

Rac ar aghaidh -- Rock on

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I am looking to get a tattoo with the phrase "walk on" but I am looking to have it done in celtic/gaelic. Can anyone help translate this for me?

Thanks!!

Inform Yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newcastlegirl

Correction from my original post, i am looking to have "walk on" translated to celtic/Irish for a tattoo.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Getting a tattoo in a language you don't even understand, eh? Yeah, nothing could go tragically (and permanently) wrong there...

• Advertisement

technically, no, I do not speak the language, but is it wrong that I am interested in it? I certainly will not go through with the tat if I am not 100% certain the translation is accurate. I may be American, but I am certainly not ignorant.
    I do appreciate any help I can get though.

Correction from my original post, i am looking to have "walk on" translated to celtic/Irish for a tattoo.

Thanks!

Don't mean to be rude, fair enough your interested and all, but please do some research and at least know what language you want. "Celtic" is not a language, it is a group of languages including Irish, Scots Gaelic, Manx, Cornish, Breton.
    It's definitely Irish you want yes?

Yes...it is Irish I am looking for...

Thanks!

Yes...it is Irish I am looking for...

Thanks!

Then 'Siúl ar aghaidh' is what I would think too, but I am by no means a native speaker! Be sure to get other opinions.
    Try here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

and here:
    http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/

Good luck!

Advertisement