Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch on 2007 Aygo-Toyota Warranty

• 12-07-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I have a 2007 Aygo, bought it new ,its got 58k km on it .Now stopped with the engine running it makes a fairly quiet but clearly audible high pitched noise (LIKE a fan belt screech but FAR FAR quieter...)this noise which many wouldnt even notice disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed in an inch or two ...I rung the main dealer I got the car from and obviously he asked to have it brought in to listen to.
    Now he said that they would possibly have to take apart the clutch and if (as was highly likely,fair or unfair!) the cause was found to be 'normal wear and tear' I would be liable for the bill (presumably mega three figures if not four!!)
    Im GUESSING that tightening up the clutch cable a bit would probably solve the problem .I only got one or two services done by the main dealer in question and am guessing he will use that favourite chestnut of "Your service book isnt stamped up to date by Toyota so your warranty is void"I did my own oil/plugs /air filter changes and kept the Toyota parts receipts.I confirmed with Toyota Ireland that this was OK .They didnt seem to mind at all ....needless to say the Toyota dealer were most sceptical about this and claimed that Toyota Ireland might not honour warranty claims ...
    Anyone got an opinion on cause of noise or how this is likely to pan out !?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

If you tighten up the cable, you will only end up taking the free play out of it, and warrenty will not cover it then, if there is no free play in the pedal put some in it before it goes into the garage, part of the service on that car is to adjust the play in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I would think you will have difficulties here for a number of reasons.
    1. You may have voided your warranty by servicing the car yourself. Under the terms of BER to maintain your warranty the car must be serviced with the correct parts and to the manufacturers schedule.
    2. Clutches are normally considered to be consumable service items and not subject to warranty.

The symptom you describe is not typical of a clutch noise. Usually the bearing is what makes noise and that would get loud under load, not quiet. If I had to guess I would think a spigot bearing could do it. The problem could be in the gearbox or it could be a resonance from just about anything.

I would be wary about pulling the box out at this stage unless every possible effort has been made to find the cause of the noise. You could well end up in a situation where the clutch is out on a bench and nobody can see anything wrong with it. If you put the old clutch back and its still the same you are down a load of labour. If you fit a new one and it’s the same you are down the price of a clutch and the labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Currently have the exact same porblem with my Leon. Noise when clutch out that disappears as soon as the pedal is pressed. Been to a few dealers for a look. They thought it was the clutch release bearing and were going to change it and the clutch. By a fluke I was home early that weekend so I took it to the dealer I usually use. He said the noise was coming from the gearbox and that if it was the bearing it would be noisy when the pedal was pressed and not the other way around.

There's no change to the car at all when driving and the noise is very, very slight. He said some cars often came with this noise from new so I'm driving on. Done about 10k km since I noticed its not any worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

ytareh wrote: »
    I have a 2007 Aygo, bought it new ,its got 58k km on it .Now stopped with the engine running it makes a fairly quiet but clearly audible high pitched noise (LIKE a fan belt screech but FAR FAR quieter...)this noise which many wouldnt even notice disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed in an inch or two ...I rung the main dealer I got the car from and obviously he asked to have it brought in to listen to.
    Now he said that they would possibly have to take apart the clutch and if (as was highly likely,fair or unfair!) the cause was found to be 'normal wear and tear' I would be liable for the bill (presumably mega three figures if not four!!)
    Im GUESSING that tightening up the clutch cable a bit would probably solve the problem .I only got one or two services done by the main dealer in question and am guessing he will use that favourite chestnut of "Your service book isnt stamped up to date by Toyota so your warranty is void"I did my own oil/plugs /air filter changes and kept the Toyota parts receipts.I confirmed with Toyota Ireland that this was OK .They didnt seem to mind at all ....needless to say the Toyota dealer were most sceptical about this and claimed that Toyota Ireland might not honour warranty claims ...
    Anyone got an opinion on cause of noise or how this is likely to pan out !?
    sounds like the thrust bearing to me, usually a whine or rattling noise when listening to the engine get someone to press the clutch pedal, if it disappears then that's it and it's okay. If it gets louder and turns into a screechy noise when the pedal is pressed then it's not okay.You will have to get it done. I have done a good few of the new corrolla's Usually by the time it comes in to be done the noise is constant whether driving or stationary and the pedal is stiffer than normal.

Advertisement