Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU and Open Learning

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So i was browsing modules for my OU course upcoming and i stumbled across the Open Learning facility of OU.

Firstly, Im pretty impressed by the generousity that the foundation and the workers behind it have given. Free education in its simpliest and best form. Bravo for humanity and such.

I have a query that an enlighted sole might be able to answer for me.
    The Open Learning materials available seem to correspond to the courses available at the OU by name. If im studying course 'abc123'. Are the materials provided by the OL facility a fairly extensive coverage of the named course in OU? Im trying to get a 'headstart' on the course, I was going to go buy the books for it and have a 3 month head start, but this could obviously save me a fair bit of cash.
    Anyone any experience at this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 skinnybop

As far as i know the material on Open Learn is the same as what you get in your course material – not the extra books that you need to purchase. In other words you will get the Open Learn stuff when you register but you will still have to buy the other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Not sure if the Level 3 courses (final year/ honours stuff) gets put up, but definitley an awful lot of the other stuff is.

I'd say it's a great way to get warmed up as you can have a go at doing a block of study. Of course you dont have the benefit of a tutor when you get stuck or the feedback you get on your assignments.

Advertisement