Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G through Vodafone - Unwanted browser changes?

• 12-07-2009 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've been using the net on my N95 for months just fine without any interference from Vodafone on external sites like wikipedia mobile etc.

Lately I've spotted a vodafone browser surrounding external websites thats just plain annoying. My screen is small enough as it is without red vodafone toolbars above and below the site Im looking at.

I dont have vodafone software on the phone so its a browser type thing that downloads with the pages I request through Vodafone the Vodafone live access point.

Can anyone tell me if theres a way to switch it back to just giving me the websites I wanted in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't use the Live APN so not 100% sure on your issue, but if you use Opera Mini you shouldn't have the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I've noticed the same thing in the last 24 hours on my 5800. I intend to email them to let them know I don't want it. It's 2009... We don't need a portal like that to help us use the internet on our phones. And I don't want to switch to Opera, it doesn't compare well to the inbuilt browser on the 5800.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

aidanpower wrote: »
    I've noticed the same thing in the last 24 hours on my 5800. I intend to email them to let them know I don't want it. It's 2009... We don't need a portal like that to help us use the internet on our phones. And I don't want to switch to Opera, it doesn't compare well to the inbuilt browser on the 5800.

Did you contact them?
    Anyone have any advice on how to escape from this Vodafone portal ?

I did and they haven't gotten back to me about it. I'll post whatever they do reply here, if they reply.

I'd advise anybody who is bothered by it to get in touch with them... The more contact they receive the more likely they are to do something about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Its a step back on their old browser. Download Opera mini and use it

• Advertisement

I really don't like Opera Mini on the 5800 though. The built in browser is excellent. I'd rather use that unencumbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Trotter wrote: »
    Constructive feedback is probably our best option, but yah .. bring it to them :)

I've added a response to that forum. I do think the topic title is a bit extreme though... It's not unusable, it's just ugly and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

aidanpower wrote: »
    I've added a response to that forum. I do think the topic title is a bit extreme though... It's not unusable, it's just ugly and pointless.

I cant access my Yahoo email anymore since this "upgrade" - just get an "error" - very helpful

• Advertisement

Potential solution for some users here:
    https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/207-vodafone-live-internet-almost-completely-unusable/#entry1288

Nice quick response from Vodafone if this is the case. Not tried it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Does this reply from vodafone mean that the live! apn is not proxied anymore and that we can use any application with it, even cabbage and streaming radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have the same issue as the OP on my N78 using Vodafone Live! access point to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

flodis79 wrote: »
    Does this reply from vodafone mean that the live! apn is not proxied anymore and that we can use any application with it, even cabbage and streaming radio?

I just removed the Proxy and its finally working fine without it. Fair play to vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I just removed the Proxy and its finally working fine without it. Fair play to vodafone.

fair play indeed. thanks for spotting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Was just checking Fring there using live and it seems to be blocked but cabbage etc is working without proxy.

Advertisement