Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlockable characters

• 12-07-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭

So, here we have the Tekken guys announcing that all 40 characters in Tekken 6 will be unlocked from the start, no messing around with Arcade mode necessary to play, as this practice is “outdated” and “no longer useful”.
    Which I think is fecking brilliant, and will allow me to focus on the online fighting (and possibly that Tekken Force mode or w/ever).

And yet here we have the SFIV response:
    Personally speaking I quite like the idea of rewarding the players for what they’ve put into the game,” he said. “Often the unlocked characters are quite tricky ones. If you were to start playing with that character from the start you might not really like it so much, so I quite like letting the players play with basic characters and learn the basics first, and then move on when they’ve reached a certain level to more tricky characters.

Dear Capcom: I bought your game ON LAUNCH, and I still haven't unlocked Seth because your conditions for doing so are STUPID.
    And the worst thing is, all the other locked characters aren't "tricky" -- they're downright underpowered, and crap.
    I think the word you were looking for was "embarrassing".

What do you think of unlockable characters? 1 vote

I just LOVE picking 'Gief and doing nooby-go-round for a few hours!
    0% 0 votes
    JUST LET ME PLAY AS SETH!!!!!!1!
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Unlocking characters is a terrible terrible idea compounded by the most banal of trials to unlock the characters, colors and taunts. Totally out of touch with reality.

Like Nintendo a few years back before current generation of consoles claiming no one wanted to play games online.

Twats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Some of the trials to unlock the colours are beyond stupid. Fight an invisable opponent, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I think they do that to add the sense of achievement for people who can't play online and for the nostalgia of the classic days of unlocking stuff but even for people who can't play online, like myself, its become quite tedious.

I have to admit though, it was cool when I unlocked Gouken as I thought he'd be brilliant but unfortunately, he wasn't :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I do think there should be one character that has to be unlocked. Don't make it something LONG, make it something HARD. For example, beating the hardest mode without dying, etc.

The fact that all the console character have to be unlocked on SF4 is a pain.

So, if i had my way, everyone unlocked from the start except Seth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

agree with Azza's post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Would prefer everything to be unlocked from the start. Especially if you play as a niche character...Rather than being able to delve into the new game and learn your character, you are forced to play through conditions so you can get him...so you can learn him. No wonder there are so many Ryu clones out there!

It's all well and good rewarding effort but not when there is a hurdle like Seth in the way at the end...Also, surely there are enough rewards for effort (or grind) in SF4 with costumes, actions, titles, medals and achievements...

🤪

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

smash brothers was the worst for this.
    just gimme the characters from the start please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The only characters that should need to be unlocked are boss mode versions of characters.

Any character that has been balanced should be available from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

unlockable characters are a throw back to pre-internet days when it was a surprise to get a new character. But nowadays, everyone knows well in advance all the characters in the game, which ones to unlock and how to do it. It's just a grind and no longer needed.

If they want to add life to the arcade mode do that with trophies and achievements but don't lock anything the player who wants to immediately jump into online needs.

Most irritating unlock I can remember in recent history was Dr. Boskonovitch in Tekken 3... and he was a completely redundant character as well.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Perhaps they are preparing us for World of Street Fighter the MMO, after all there is enough grind to compete with WOW. Its soul destroying stuff going through the trails, they are absolutly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Dr. B owns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Yeah I hate the idea of unlocking characters!

Back when the information was not a google search away and the only info you could get was from the occasional gamers mag, gamesmaster with Domonik or Dextor Fletcher :D, or by word of mouth in the arcade there was a genuine excitement at unlocking characters.

But that time has passed and Capcom need to realise this - I'm still bitter at the 200hrs+ logged trying to win with all perfects and beat Bison with a dragon punch so I could fight Sheng Long!!

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Dr. B owns

Not as much as Gon though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

At very least, if you have to unlock characters, it should be fun to do.

No one wants to slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

As hard as it is to believe, there are those people who do not see the game as something to play against other people with. All this unlockable stuff is to make the game seem longer for those people. Like world tour mode on alpha 3 on the ps1.

All I could think about when I played SFA3 as a teenager was how fantastic it would be to be able to play it online.

But unlike the people who post on these forums, there are those people who bought SFIV who just play the game in their own little safe offline bubble (and annoyingly assume they still know what they're talking about in the game)

I remember talking to a guy in Uni about the game and I realised he was one of those players. I said "wait a sec, you are playing online arnt you? The game is about playing other people."

"Nah, I played one game online and the guy beat me and I never played again, I don't have time for that."

I literally face palmed.

So its ok to play SP and if the AI beats you, to try again and its ok to spend all this time unlocking characters yet those who spend the same time playing online are no-lifers? lol.

These people can't lose. So they stay in their safe bubbles and make up excuses to their satisfy their egos. They never realise they arnt even playing SFIV by not playing other people. All this unlocking stuff is for those players.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I enjoy both the online and offline aspects of the game. I only recently got a chance to play online for a while, and thanks to the time I had spent offline I wasn't creamed into the ground. I think offline is a perfect way to train yourself in a certain aspect, like say EX cancelling, rather than muffing it online and looking like a fool. Also, I know it's hard to believe but some of us don't have a viable broadband connection and still play offline not by choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah training mode is great, for example when it comes to playing 3s online with emulators, its only the arcade version and so theres no training at all. You have online, VS and arcade mode and thats it. If it had a similar training mode to SFIV where you can 'record' moves from one players and then play them back, it'd be perfect for getting better at parrying.

You can't really practice parrying against the AI in 3rd strike because, well its AI. Parrying by nature is done by predicting your opponents next move. A big part of street fighter is manipulating the other guy and predicting his moves. Your not going to get that with AI, thus your only really experiencing a small aspect of the game if playing AI is all you know.

Kinda like playing mmo's offline lol.

Of course yeah the people that actually don't have broadband and thus can't play online goes without saying.

FINALLY went to the bother of unlocking Akuma today, and holy crap is he powerful. I know his health, makes up for it, but he's pretty deadly. I shan't be cheap though :P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    FINALLY went to the bother of unlocking Akuma today, and holy crap is he powerful. I know his health, makes up for it, but he's pretty deadly. I shan't be cheap though :P

Your love of Akuma will probably start to drop if you play online with him. It's disheartening going into a match, getting equal hits in against an opponent but you die because of your miserable health.

I've been playing him for an hour or two most days and I still can't help but feel I should give up on him. But none of the other characters seem right.

With Akuma you need to have the bnb stuff DOWN and never whiff any of his combos, you also need to have some exotic stuff memorized to mix it up so that you don't get repetitive. Making just 1 mistake, like a block srk, could cost you 40% of your health or more. It will also get frustrating watching someone jump out of your Ultra and bnb you while your back is turned.

Are you on the 360, PS3 or PC? If PC or PS3 I wouldn't mind going a few rounds against another Akuma.

Let's put it like this, my gamertag is my screen name here. Sorry :o On the plus side, note that my love has already fallen, when I went into arcade mode and got bogged down in round 3 with rufus. Got as far as Seth, but I had to go to work. I was on hardest, but nothing should have me retrying like 6 times. I do like his light spinning kick into fierce uppercut though. I'd say I'd need to put a LOT of work into him before he became useful to me. Now, to unlock Gouken. :pac:

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I do like his light spinning kick into fierce uppercut though. I'd say I'd need to put a LOT of work into him before he became useful to me. Now, to unlock Gouken. :pac:

His lk tatsu can be combo'd into pretty much anything, it's lethal once it lands. Also, if you didn't like Akuma, you're probably going to have a harder time with Gouken. I tried moving over to Sheng Long... *cough* I mean Gouken, but I just couldn't get used to him. It's rare if I even see 1 Gouken online.

What I like about Akuma is the sheer number of options you have with him. He must have one the most varied move sets in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

L31mr0d wrote: »
    His lk tatsu can be combo'd into pretty much anything, it's lethal once it lands. Also, if you didn't like Akuma, you're probably going to have a harder time with Gouken. I tried moving over to Sheng Long... *cough* I mean Gouken, but I just couldn't get used to him. It's rare if I even see 1 Gouken online.
    I'd use Gouken as my main, I love his coutner fighting style and he has no really bad match ups. I tended to win 75% of my fights, but I never got that high up in on-line play (don't own the game and only had it for 2 weeks off a friend). He had the huge advantage in that most people weren't use to fighting him and didn't really know what he could do (again fairly low skill) and they had a very hard time attacking when over half the damage done to them was through counters (they do SO much damage!).

Got the last two! I liked Gouken, he's tremendous fun and I am in love with his toss into the air>combo into pretty much anything. His Ultra is also sexual looking. Seth however, is far too weak, I simply can't get my head around him at all, despite the fact that I've probably played him in the arcade a million times now. (I know they're different) It's nice to finally have the whole roster to choose from.

Advertisement