Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pregnant vegetarians rant :)

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just need to let off steam. I'm a vegetarian for coming up to 15 years now, since I was 10 years old. Its not something that I even think about now really because its the only way I really know my life and I could never possible eat meat again.

I am currently 13 weeks pregnant. For years I heard crap about being a vegetarian as i'm sure all you have too but in recent years it seems to have become more socially acceptable. well, recently EVERYONE is at me about being a vegetarian... i'm being told i'm not being a good mother because i'm depriving my baby of essential vitamins etc. People have been asking me would I just not eat meat until I have the baby for the sake of my child. I have health issues which have become worse due to the pregnancy but apparently my vegetarianism is to blame for this too. I can't eat much lately but I am taking all the supplements I need to get vitamins to my baby.

I got bacterial meningitis some years back and it almost killed me. I got that because i'm a vegetarian haha. :) I don't know i'm just annoyed at people telling me how to run my body and how to look after my growing baby. My number 1 priority is my baby and it annoys me that people think they have a right to tell me what to eat. Even my boyfriend when he was cooking a fry said to me oooh wouldnt you love some of this. Actually no I wouldnt!!!!

Maybe i'm over reacting but its getting on my nerves that people think I would do anything to hinder the development of my child.

Rant over :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

aw hun, im so sorry! its **** the way people think vegetarianism is the cause of all health problems. iv had this said to me when i have a cold!! a cold ffs! how could meat make that better!!!
    i can imagine how u feel when they guilt trip you over the baby!
    your not doing anything wrong, if u feel worried yourself then ask your doctor or hospital about it.
    but if ur taking all your supplements etc your fine hun, just make sure they are ok to take while pregnant.

congratulations btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Thank you :D

Ah i'm taking stuff the hospital recommended. The baby is grand had a scan on monday and it was waving its arms around :)

Just gets to me, i'm also being asked am i going to force the baby to be vegetarian. :P

People would ask you anything though.

lolli wrote: »
    Thank you :D

Ah i'm taking stuff the hospital recommended. The baby is grand had a scan on monday and it was waving its arms around :)

Just gets to me, i'm also being asked am i going to force the baby to be vegetarian. :P

People would ask you anything though.

you should reply "i might force the baby to eat meat!"
    lol
    i got preg at 18 so i got all this, and living at home made it really hard to keep my lil girl on veggie diet, i was given out to and told she needs it etc etc.
    its hard to argue with people in that frame of mind so i understand!!
    :)

hard to argue with people alright.

I'm not making the baby be vegetarian.... its up her what she wants to do herself. I'd say if i tried my bf would be feeding her burgers and sausages behind my back :P

hard to argue with people alright.

I'm not making the baby be vegetarian.... its up her what she wants to do herself. I'd say if i tried my bf would be feeding her burgers and sausages behind my back :P

thats the way i am with my lil one, she nearly 7 now and says shes 'a vegetarian and a meat eater'

she loves veggie food but when shes in her nana & grandads she eats the meat they give her lol

im sure shell make a choice when shes older :)

• Advertisement

maameeo wrote: »
    thats the way i am with my lil one, she nearly 7 now and says shes 'a vegetarian and a meat eater'

she loves veggie food but when shes in her nana & grandads she eats the meat they give her lol

im sure shell make a choice when shes older :)

Yeah they generally start thinking about it around that age. My 6 year old sister is starting to turn off certain things, thats the way i started by the time i was 10 i gave it up altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Are you kidding, you baby's going to be dairy only for they first year. Tell the nay sayers that you take powdered whey protein and your kid will kick their ass in 18 years.

happy mothering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Feck them :) and congratulations on the pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Sorry to hear they are getting to you. You may already have a text, but I've heard about this book before in case you are interested http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Mother-Baby-Book-Completely/dp/0679774106

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

This kind of stuff is very annoying. Everyone thinks they are nutritionists! I doubt people who smoke and drink during pregnancy don't get as much hassle! I'm not speaking from experience by the way :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good luck with your baby, wooo!
    I'd point out how **** their diets are. :pac:

Thanks folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

You can't get anything from meat that you can't get elsewhere. There are plenty of vegetarian cultures that obviously wouldn't have survived if vegetarians can't have healthy babies!

Don't stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Ouch! Hope it's going well for you now and they've laid off the comments :) Sure, every sniffle I get is iron-deprevation despite my very regular blood tests coming in at quite high results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Vegetarians have been having healthy babies for a long time! this is not a new thing at all. I hate it when people feel the need to comment on your dietary choice and I also hate it when I hear people talking about "forcing vegetarianism on your unborn child". It's no different than choosing your child's religion, which almost every parent does. If you do not prepare, cook or eat meat why would you make your child eat meat? Don't mind these idiots. You will be fine!! And so will your baby. Eat a varied, balanced diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Hey guys,

Just need to let off steam. I'm a vegetarian for coming up to 15 years now, since I was 10 years old. Its not something that I even think about now really because its the only way I really know my life and I could never possible eat meat again.

I am currently 13 weeks pregnant. For years I heard crap about being a vegetarian as i'm sure all you have too but in recent years it seems to have become more socially acceptable. well, recently EVERYONE is at me about being a vegetarian... i'm being told i'm not being a good mother because i'm depriving my baby of essential vitamins etc. People have been asking me would I just not eat meat until I have the baby for the sake of my child. I have health issues which have become worse due to the pregnancy but apparently my vegetarianism is to blame for this too. I can't eat much lately but I am taking all the supplements I need to get vitamins to my baby.

I got bacterial meningitis some years back and it almost killed me. I got that because i'm a vegetarian haha. :) I don't know i'm just annoyed at people telling me how to run my body and how to look after my growing baby. My number 1 priority is my baby and it annoys me that people think they have a right to tell me what to eat. Even my boyfriend when he was cooking a fry said to me oooh wouldnt you love some of this. Actually no I wouldnt!!!!

Maybe i'm over reacting but its getting on my nerves that people think I would do anything to hinder the development of my child.

Rant over :P

Cheeky feckers!!! I bet if you had a drink or a ciggie in your hand they wouldn't say anything to your face.

Next time ask them what exact nutrients would your baby get from meat that you are not getting.
    If they moan on about iron tell them most pregnant mothers that need to take iron supplements are meat eaters. If they moan on about B12 tell them it exists in eggs and diary too among other foods. Protein - ask them when was the last time they heard of anyone in Ireland being protein deficient (if they can think of anyone chances are it was because of another reason ie malnourished, anorexic, old age etc) Anything else ask them how do they know you are deficient???? Also ask them when was the last time they had at least 5 portions of vegetables or fruit a day and very few would be able to remember. Grrr

Good luck with your pregnacy lolli and don't allow anyone to make you feel any guilt in being a veggie.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Got my blood test results from the hospital and all is well. Iron levels are perfectly normal.

I am actually going to allow my child to eat meat and it can decide for itself whenever it feel likes it. I have no problem cooking meat or anything, i just wont eat it myself.

I'm heading for 17 weeks now and feel great

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Got my blood test results from the hospital and all is well. Iron levels are perfectly normal.

I am actually going to allow my child to eat meat and it can decide for itself whenever it feel likes it. I have no problem cooking meat or anything, i just wont eat it myself.

Fantastic news! Examples like yours are the best way to end that sort of argument.

My sis in law is like you. Tho the young fella eats the meat, (as will his sis), I can see both children becoming veggie in time, of their own volition.

Oh, and while I think of it, if/when you get morning sickness (that's a second trimester thing, 'innit?), ginger is your friend. Grate some ginger into a cup, pour in boiling water and give it 5 mins. The internet would have some tastier suggestions but thats the basic drill.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

congrats on the baby. I am not vegetarian, but having had three babies, I know how nosey people are. They feel free to lecture you about all sorts of things that have nothing to do with them. Alas, it doesn't end when you have a lovelt healthy baby either. If one more old dear ever again asks me 'Do you thing baby might be cold?', I'm sure I will explode!! Just stick to your guns and try not to let them get to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Iron levels are always far better in Vegetarians - no need to take supplements; diet is usually far more balanced in terms or vitamins and minerals.

Our maternity doctor said that she had only ever seen one vegetarian that was a cause for concern and that this was a vegetarian who 'didn't like vegetables' - cheese pizzas all the way no doubt :)

Generally speaking, most people are just misinformed about nutrition and correct diet. They realise that you're giving up something by not eating meat and naturally assume that whatever this 'meaty goodness' is, it can't be found anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

gosplan wrote: »
    Iron levels are always far better in Vegetarians - no need to take supplements; diet is usually far more balanced in terms or vitamins and minerals.
    Generally speaking, most people are just misinformed about nutrition and correct diet. They realise that you're giving up something by not eating meat and naturally assume that whatever this 'meaty goodness' is, it can't be found anywhere else.

Plus Irish tend to be genetically predisposed to extracting iron very efficiently. Sort of the cut down version of hemochromotosis. A few thousand years of no fish (believe or not) for most and meat only for Chieftans (most small animals common now are new to Ireland) made Irish very capable at extracting protein from any source.

Advertisement