Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another crazy compo pay out, man sues family

• 12-07-2009 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Awful thing to happen and very tragic but when i read he had sued the representatives of the estate of the deceased pilot,what the hell?it was accident dont sue the dead pilots family buddy:(.he says he feels gulity for surviving what bull,should be happy his alive
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0710/breaking49.htm

it was a freak accident how is that breach of contract,he should be lucky if they payed for his medical bills.no doubt the taxpayers will be paying his benefits now also even with his 1 million euro

Comments

hope he burns in a fire to be honest the piece of piss that he is.

fuk of to america ya sue loving cúnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So wait, he sued because he was in an accident he didn't cause and it was settled out of court, most likely because he had a good chance of winning. I don't see what's so **** about that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I don't quite get what the problem is myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Change the heading... tbh...

amacachi wrote: »
    So wait, he sued because he was in an accident he didn't cause and it was settled out of court, most likely because he had a good chance of winning. I don't see what's so **** about that tbh.
    I don't quite get what the problem is myself..

"Mr Gibbons, Clochog, Oranmore, Co Galway, had sued the representatives of the estate of the deceased pilot, and two companies, Donville Helis Ltd, with registered offices at Derrydonnell, Ornamore, and 21st century Aviation Ltd, Deerpark Industrial Estate, Oranmore, respectively the owner and hirer/operator of the helicopter."

imo, i think the phrase "happy to be alive" should apply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

So because the pilot wasn't trained properly this guy was in a serious crash and left with life changing injuries. To my eyes that makes him perfectly entitled to sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

read the article,sued the reps of the family.....and was the pilot not trained?that was nt said being honest but if setting up a helicopter company ud have to have trained pilots.
    And yes its a freak accident going up in a helicopter you surely realise there is risk,did the pilot cause it?im sured he tried not to crash...

"Mr Gibbons alleged negligence, breach of duty and breach of contract against all defendants"...why the hell did he get into the helicopter so if that is what he felt

"Mr Gibbons, Clochog, Oranmore, Co Galway, had sued the representatives of the estate of the deceased pilot, and two companies, Donville Helis Ltd, with registered offices at Derrydonnell, Ornamore, and 21st century Aviation Ltd, Deerpark Industrial Estate, Oranmore, respectively the owner and hirer/operator of the helicopter."

imo, i think the phrase "happy to be alive" should apply

If he'd lost a leg or been left paralysed would you say the same?

read the article,sued the reps of the family.....and was the pilot not trained?that was nt said being honest but if setting up a helicopter company ud have to have trained pilots

Yeah, because the pilot is dead, he's suing the estate, it happens.

Onkle wrote: »
    So because the pilot wasn't trained properly this guy was in a serious crash and left with life changing injuries. To my eyes that makes him perfectly entitled to sue

throw out a quote there to back that up please

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    If he'd lost a leg or been left paralysed would you say the same?

i think it's unfortunate to meet thick fog but that's life.. he's alive and well. how does a sum of money help him??!?!

i must be missing something here in my drunkness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

guilty over surviving the accident.

He feels guilty over surviving the accident so he decides to sue the dead pilots family? Right so..

i think it's unfortunate to meet thick fog but that's life.. he's alive and well. how does a sum of money help him??!?!

i must be missing something here in my drunkness

I don't know him, I don't have transcripts of the case or access to all the evidence, I don't know how it's affected his life or anything else.
    All I'm seeing is "Man in accident which wasn't his fault sues for compensation and case is settled out of court." and I really can't see much wrong with that.

He feels guilty over surviving the accident so he decides to sue the dead pilots family? Right so..

exactly.. if it actually was a mental issue, money wouldn't solve it.

i can guarantee he celebrated with stake and chips and laughed the whole night. i hope he burns and dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hello....I nearly died in a helicopter crash because the courts of Ireland fond the pilot to be ill-trained and the helicopter to be sub-standard....my life has been fu*ked up, and I received the unprecidented amount of €1,000,000.00 in compensation............either I'm a complete scum bag and this judge is a fuc*ing idiot.....OR I'm completely entitled to this amount under the laws of the land................you decide..................stupid thread.

my point is why did he sue the family of the dead pilot?

because he was operating the vehicle and wasn't trained properly...as found by the court..........would you have an issue with this if he survived the crash?

It's his estate...more or less him, dead or alive, that's being sued.......it's what he left in his will that will pick up the tab...not any direct earnings or property from his mother, father, wife or children, that wouldn't be effected in the exact same way as if he was alive.....estate is his remaining assets/wealth that he owned in life....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What the holy f**k? Read the article
    An air accident unit found the cause of the accident to be pilot error and the case was before the court for assessment only, liability having been admitted by all defendants, he added.

Oh, and don't forget the bit about flying into the side of a mountain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Because they were representing the pilot's estate?

and that is fair you think dragging his family into court?it was a freak accident.If it happened to me id be happy to be alive and get some medicial expenses.no doubt your man will claim every benefit under the sun now also

• Advertisement

and that is fair you think dragging his family into court?it was a freak accident.If it happened to me id be happy to be alive and get some medicial expenses.no doubt your man will claim every benefit under the sun now also

And? If he's off work and on the sick it's means-tested, so he won't get anything til he spends a good bit of the million, it just means he's getting some money from them instead of the government, so he's saving you money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

An air accident unit found the cause of the accident to be pilot error

Seems to have been the pilots fault..

its very tragic and tough on the chap who is injuried but why does he have to drag the dead pilots family through court?Going on a helicopter you know there is risks,after trying to sue the family my feelings towards this guy are going down..and if he felt the breaches why did he go?

Ok Op....can I get drunk and smash you with my car and badly injure you, pending I die in the accident? Would you not mind if I was dead? You'd take the air that I breath in court if I was alive, but can I cripple you with my car pending I die? Would you have sympathy for me while you spend the rest of your life dealing with your injuries thinkinh "poor guy" because I died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

i can guarantee he celebrated with stake and barbed wire and laughed the whole night. i hope he burns and dies.

fixed it for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theyre also suing the 2 companies involved, not just the Family.

The family is being sued because the pilot's estate (personal assets etc) was transferred over to them after his death.

Estate (Law)

Anyway the guy has a case, lets all settle down. Im thinking back over the year. We had the Hudson River Landing, done by a true Ace who kept his calm 110%. Then we had this crash where the pilot did nothing in the last few seconds but scream on the way down, according to some reports: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgan_Air_Flight_3407

So I mean get off the high horses people. its very likely the pilot did something completely wrong. and dead or not, probably deserves to get fined for it.
    hope he burns in a fire to be honest the piece of piss that he is.

fuk of to america ya sue loving cúnt
    careful now ya stereotyping...________ ____ _______ ... :mad:

Uhm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I thought this was going to be some story about a junkie who injured himself while robbing someone's house then sued them over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No he sued the estate of a pilot who would have been insured i imagine so the estate must then counter claim from the insurence.

More importantly if the companies failed in there duty its called neglagence(I know i cant spell) and the man is entitled to claim. If i went into mac donalds and swolled a lump of wood cause the 17 year old trainee dropped a burger on the floor although i have nothing against the trainee his manager should have supervised him and he should have been trained in food safety. If he was trained, he was neglagent just like mac donalds would have been if he was not trained!

Case closed.. Give me 1 million and of couse all the benefits i deserve cause of post tramatic stree etc!

I dont see the problem here. In fact I think the man was right becuase if it were my child on the helicoptor that crashed I would be 100% supporting his claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alandbs

Probably the most pointless thread i've ever seen.

Seriously oh, is this your life?

Go back to school and do a civics class or something, if you cant see why this guy is fully entitled to every penny, you shouldnt have access to a computer/electricity, etc...

Every post criticising the claimant is simply moronic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If it was a car crash would that make it ok? I really do not see a problem with him suing.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    If it was a car crash would that make it ok? I really do not see a problem with him suing.

i don't see how a million euro is fair. that's a house and fifteen years salary.

the man suing is on about "feeling guilty"? i'm sure he'll be feelin grand buyin his new bmw

i don't see how a million euro is fair. that's a house and fifteen years salary.

the man suing is on about "feeling guilty"? i'm sure he'll be feelin grand buyin his new bmw

Who determines the 1 million euro. Surly the issue is the sueing! or are we envious of the fact that he got 1 million euro!

yea. he's alive, isn't badly injured, hasn't lost any family and has a million euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

yea. he's alive, isn't badly injured, hasn't lost any family and has a million euro.

What makes you think he is not badly injured?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

If you read it , it doesn't mention any serious injuries.

It would be one thing to sue if he had injuries and just sued the companies but the dead mans family?

Disgusting thing to do.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »

It would be one thing to sue if he had injuries and just sued the companies but the dead mans family?

Disgusting thing to do.

The estate of the dead mans family this means 2 things

He either sued for what the man left in his will mwhich was prob a heafty insurence policy

or

He sued on the mans insurence

It does not actually say "~He sued the dead mans wife/Mother.kids!

This is heading seriously out to the twlight zone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

am I missing something here?.....

He did not sue the dead mans family.

Fine the dead mans estate which would probably have been left to his family.

i'm just against the idea of winning the lottery because you got in a crash.

a million euro is wholly disproportionate to the incident and no-one in their right mind can disagree with that.

Fine the dead mans estate which would probably have been left to his family.

Your still missing the point! YOU DONT ACTUALLY KNOW! he either sued the insurence company of the man. This is done by sueing the estate and counter cueing the company or he sued the policy!

I am finishing on this in saying It says NOWHERE that he sued the mans wife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If there were no other companies involved and the pilot had operated as a sole trader, would anyone have an issue with him pursuing the claim?

I don't like the compo culture and if he wasn't injured I think a million is an outrageous sum but I do think he's entitled to sue the pilot. The fact that the pilot is dead is, to put it undiplomatically, secondary.

javaboy wrote: »
    The fact that the pilot is dead is, to put it undiplomatically, secondary.
    a part of me thinks that if you sue someone is dead, you're implying that you ended up worse off than that person. which he didn't.

1 million is a very large amount. Courts have been known to award disproportionate amounts, seeing as the pilot is not around to appeal the award, is there anyone else who can?

It does seem unfair from that point, but it is stated that it was pilot error which caused the crash and that was accepted by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Disgusting thing to do.

As it was settled out of court the full extent of his injuries were not disclosed. But i can tell you have does have serious injuries. As has already been pointed out he sued the estate who will now in turn sue the insurance company for the sum awarded. The dead mans family wont be out of pocket. All the defendents admitted liability and Mike is still on good terms with all the defendents

Having visited Mike in hospital shortly after the accident and having seeing what he and his family have had to go through over the last four years and knowing what he will have to go through over the next number of years i can tell you he deserved every single penny.

genuine question,

i'm in a taxi, we crash in fog. i survive but taxi driver dies. can i sue the taxi drivers estate and the taxi company?

the fact that it's a helicopter is distorting the opinions of the incident and also the size of the payout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

a part of me thinks that if you sue someone is dead, you're implying that you ended up worse off than that person. which he didn't.
    The guy who lived may disagree with you.

genuine question,

i'm in a taxi, we crash in fog. i survive but taxi driver dies. can i sue the taxi drivers estate and the taxi company?

the fact that it's a helicopter is distorting the opinions of the incident and also the size of the payout.

Do you think that type of think has never happened?

As it was settled out of court the full extent of his injuries were not disclosed. But i can tell you have does have serious injuries. As has already been pointed out he sued the estate who will now in turn sue the insurance company for the sum awarded. The dead mans family wont be out of pocket. All the defendents admitted liability and Mike is still on good terms with all the defendents

Having visited Mike in hospital shortly after the accident and having seeing what he and his family have had to go through over the last four years and knowing what he will have to go through over the next number of years i can tell you he deserved every single penny.

Fair enough, I jumped to conclusions that the family would be out of pocket.
    Wasn't aware he had serious problems/injuries due to the accident.
    No disrespect to the man was intended ,and I apoligise for my previous comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

genuine question,

If someone crashes into you, in fog, you suffer minor injuries while they break every bone in their body. Would you not sue because they were worse off?

Do you think that type of think has never happened?
    If someone crashes into you, in fog, you suffer minor injuries while they break every bone in their body. Would you not sue because they were worse off?

don't get me wrong, i do think he is entitled to lost wages and some payment for having to go through the incident.
    but in my opinion, these massive payments are only justified if a person is incapacitated or worse.

i am merely arguing 1. the size of the payment and 2. bringing more pain on the pilots family.

edit: i think we're forgetting how much a million euro is. my life is dominated by a 5k debt so the idea of 200 times that seems unbelievable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement