Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another crazy compo pay out, man sues family

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

i just had a read of the accident report

for anyone who's interested, it is very detailed and can be read here
    http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/8253-0.PDF

here are the facts as i see them
    helicopter was 100% airworthy
    pilot held both irish and us licences

aaib synopsis
    The helicopter was on a Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight from New Ross, Co. Wexford,
    to its base near Galway Airport. En route, it entered an area of rising terrain and low
    cloud base, near Derrybrien, Co Galway. Radar tracking indicates that the helicopter
    slowed down, and then made a sharp turn before disappearing off the screen. The
    helicopter then suffered an in-flight collision with terrain directly after the loss of radar
    contact. A passenger died at the scene and the pilot died later in hospital. Another
    passenger survived with serious injuries. The probable cause was the pilot’s loss of
    spatial orientation resulting from inadequate visual reference with the ground due to
    limited visibility. The Report makes two Safety Recommendations.

compo mans account

The surviving front seat passenger did not initially have any recall of the accident
    sequence. However with the passage of time he was able to recall some details of the
    events leading to the accident. He stated that himself, the pilot and the other passenger
    had gone out for the evening after their arrival in the Waterford area the day before the
    accident. He and the other passenger had a few drinks but the pilot did not. They all
    retired to bed between 2 and 3 AM. The following morning, as they left Waterford, the
    weather was clear and the flight was uneventful. Suddenly the helicopter entered cloud.
    He stated that he had not noticed any clouds in front of them and he was unsure of how
    long they were in cloud before the crash. He went on to state: “We seemed to hit
    something and I saw XXX (the pilot) struggling with the controls, I remember that we
    went chopping through trees before coming to an abrupt halt”. At this point he became
    unconscious. He later regained consciousness but was in a confused state. He recalls
    asking the pilot what happened and he replied: “What do you think happened?”. He later
    stated that he did not know what the pilot meant by this remark.
    it seems they suddenly entered cloud and the pilot probably continued following a gps course and as the ground was rising they hit trees.

helicopters are lethally dangerous and those robinsons are widely regarded as death traps
    people flying in them either as passengers or crew should have their own personal insurance. its wrong that when it goes wrong, the system allows them to sue all around them
    i dont think that guy should have been allowed to sue anyone in this case (other than maybe god) and certainly should not have walked away as a millionaire.

well said xt40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

He nearly died. He deserves compo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

Jay D wrote: »
    He nearly died. He deserves compo.

whose fault do you think it was thet he "nearly died"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

xt40 wrote: »
    whose fault do you think it was thet he "nearly died"

An air accident unit found the cause of the accident to be pilot error and the case was before the court for assessment only, liability having been admitted by all defendants, he added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"I sue dead people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 monkey08mjoyce

know someone who knows him and hes fully repaired now - not too seriously injured to look at him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

i think it's unfortunate to meet thick fog but that's life.. he's alive and well. how does a sum of money help him??!?!

i must be missing something here in my drunkness
    Yes you are. An 'e'...

Advertisement