Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will MICHEAL OWEN be a success at Man Utd ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Owen moaned constantly in the media when he was being rotated at madrid, far more than Tevez did iirc.
    And if he moans like that at United that will be a problem. But he is almost certainly not going to complain about being third choice here and now.
    how do you think Rooney would react to be dropped constantly like Tevez? I think his form would suffer, he'd look for a move and moan in the press, in fact i have no doubt.
    I think Rooney would suffer a lot if he was third choice. He is a confidence/form player and he needs to play a lot. That's not a problem as he is not needed as a back up striker, he is needed in the first team. If there ever comes a point when Rooney isn't first choice anymore then he will probably need to move on for his own sake. Nobody is saying that Tevez isn't good just that he isn't a good back up striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good post ProF. but i i think you'll find in a world cup year Michael Owen will be expecting to play as often as possible....and if he is not i have no doubt he'll speak out about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I can't see looking at stats from previous years is going to enlighten whether or not he'll be a success at Man Utd. There is one simple IF, and that's if he can stay fit, I have no doubt in my mind he'll be a success a Utd. If he doesn't stay fit, he won't. Simple as.

- Utd create FAR more chances then Newcastle ever did, a fit Michael Owen will put most of them in the back of the net. He's a born goalscorer, that's what he's good at and that's what he will do IF he stays fit.

- Scoring goals, staying fit, equals praise for him and Fergie for a masterstroke of a transfer, if he doesn't they'll be getting out the "flop" sign.

- Incentive to do well with the World Cup around the corner. He's England's Michael Owen, which as we all know is why he was never really taken in fully by the Liverpool fans. He joined Newcastle before Germanyt '06, got in the team but got injured, he'll be dreaming of emulating France '98 if he gets in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Thought this is a thread about Owen??

Tevez attitude towards the end was a disgrace. Against Arsenal he wasnt very effective and yet acted the fool when he was replaced. Because of his lack of pace he is only really effective coming off the bench or against slow defenders.

For me Owen will have been a success if he comes off the bench and scores the winner at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

but i i think you'll find in a world cup year Michael Owen will be expecting to play as often as possible....and if he is not i have no doubt he'll speak out about it.

He'd be a fool to expect that in a Utd team that will be competing on all fronts next year. He knew where he stood in the pecking order when Utd first approached him and if not i'm sure it was made very clear when he flicked over to the wages portion of his contract.

If he wanted to play "as often as possible", which to me suggests you think he's expecting to be in the starting lineup in the EPL more often than not, he would have signed for Hull/Stoke.

Owen knows his place in the squad & is looking to add another few trophies to his cabinet as his career winds down.

Fortuneg wrote: »
    Owen knows his place in the squad & is looking to add another few trophies to his cabinet as his career winds down.

People said the EXACT thing about tevez last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

fortuneg wrote: »

:pac::confused:

First time i've ever heard that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

saying that owen scored X amount of goals last year or X amount of goals in season 2007-08 doesn't mean he will score the same X amount of goals for man utd this season

• Advertisement

with the exception of that obviously!:rolleyes:
    oh and Owen is going to Utd to revitalise his career, not as an early retirement!

good post ProF. but i i think you'll find in a world cup year Michael Owen will be expecting to play as often as possible....and if he is not i have no doubt he'll speak out about it.
    cheers.

You could be right about Owen, i don't know, i just hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think that is a key factor in all this.

Tevez needs to play regular football because he's by no means guaranteed a spot in the Argentina side.

Owen needs a platform on which to propel himself back into the England set up. Will he get enough opportunites at United? I'm not so sure, and I don't think there are going to be many players happy with squad rotation knowing there are World Cup spots to be played for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

if he does anyway middleing at utd, he'll be in the squad for england!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »

Tevez needs to play regular football because he's by no means guaranteed a spot in the Argentina side.

Owen needs a platform on which to propel himself back into the England set up. Will he get enough opportunites at United? I'm not so sure, and I don't think there are going to be many players happy with squad rotation knowing there are World Cup spots to be played for.

Owen performing well in a squad role, where he will be on the 'big' stage and get chances created for him, has a better chance of getting back into the england set up than playing more regularly for a Hull or Stoke side that will struggle, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

People said Tevez was locating for trophies as his career is nearing an end? Surely his is only getting started, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When he was a sub for utd he was still starting for Argentina

as i've said already, the career winding down thing wasnt said re: tevez, although i dont think Owen is moving to Utd to "wind down his career", rather to restart it.

people did however say tevez was happy with a squad role at a club he was mad about, where he was getting game time in other comps and as a sub...turned out he wasnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

A fit Tevez playing irreguarly each week has a better chance of getting in the Argentina squad than an injured Michael Owen, to whoever said it.

Unless Tevez picks up a huge injury, he'll be in the Argentina team. While in Owen's case he has to prove he's fit and still has it.

as i've said already, the career winding down thing wasnt said re: tevez, although i dont think Owen is moving to Utd to "wind down his career", rather to restart it.

people did however say tevez was happy with a squad role at a club he was mad about, where he was getting game time in other comps and as a sub...turned out he wasnt.

So - you think Owen is going to United on the assumption he will be first choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Owen performing well in a squad role, where he will be on the 'big' stage and get chances created for him, has a better chance of getting back into the england set up than playing more regularly for a Hull or Stoke side that will struggle, imo.

But if they were scoring goals then maybe they wouldn't struggle ;)
    Headshot wrote: »
    When he was a sub for utd he was still starting for Argentina

Indeed, but two seasons on the bench is going to have some impact on a player's international prospects.

7 October 2007 michael owen returned with a goal eight days after groin surgery
    What a joke of a club Newcastle is when it comes to player health. Hopefully his injury problems won't be as bad at United since he'll be given proper time to recover.

So - you think Owen is going to United on the assumption he will be first choice?

i think he is gone there because he was assured he can become a starting player and will get a lot of game time.

the quotes from Rafa today would confirm that thought for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he'll be a great signing imo

But if they were scoring goals then maybe they wouldn't struggle ;)
    Owen wouldn't have done well at Hull, they're not creative enough.
    Playing as third choice at United is miles above what he was expecting a few weeks ago. If he has any sense he'll get his head down, won't complain and try to take his chances when they come. If he does that in 10 months time everybody will be saying how he is still dangerous in front of goal and how mature he is and wouldn't he be a great addition to the England squad.

he wants to be Englands number 1 again, not a squad player at the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think he's too short to be an international keeper :)

I'd say Owen is hoping that if he can form any sort of a partnership with Rooney it will force Capello's hand at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

On the phone to him this morning were you? ;)

If he thinks he has any chance of becoming Englands number 1 (by which I presume you mean number 1 striker) he has a mammoth task ahead of him overtaking Rooney.

I think atm Owen would be happy with just about any role in Capello's squad for the WC, lucky for him he has a full season at the best club in the country to prove his worth.

:)

I think atm Owen would be happy with just about any role in Capello's squad for the WC, lucky for him he has a full season at the best club in the country to prove his worth.

on the phone to him this morning were you?

see wat i did there? ;):pac:

• Advertisement

I think atm Owen would be happy with just about any role in Capello's squad for the WC....
    on the phone to him this morning were you?

see wat i did there? ;):pac:

No, missed it.

Could you do it again?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Going by the definition of success in the OP (20 goals), NO.

Do I think I will consider him a success at United? YES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think he'll get 20 goals but I think if he stays fit, which is a big if, he can get around 15 in all competitions. I reckon he'll be rotated a lot and used mainly as a back-up striker.

If he can get around a 15 goal return then I think he'd have to be regarded as a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He'll score 15 as a third choice striker and won't p*ss and moan about not being first choice. For a free transfer signing, on a pay as you play basis, thats a tremendous success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

i think he is gone there because he was assured he can become a starting player and will get a lot of game time.

the quotes from Rafa today would confirm that thought for me.

I think he'll be starting the season as third choice but I have no doubt also that if he went on a goalscoring run ansd showed good form when given his chance, he'd be kept in the team and would have earned his place. I'm sure thats what he'll be aiming for anyway, its basic common sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Funny a few weeks ago teams like Hull and Stoke decided he wasn't good enough. Suddenly Utd sign him and he is world class again.

Funny how things work...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DB10 wrote: »
    Funny a few weeks ago teams like Hull and Stoke decided he wasn't good enough. Suddenly Utd sign him and he is world class again.

Funny how things work...:rolleyes:

lolz

do some homework before you post
    Hull manager Phil Brown said: 'We would have loved Michael to have come here and we're happy about having been in the frame to get him. But once United came in, that was it. I can see him really getting back into top gear.'

just out of curiousity, when Ronaldo was sold and it became apparent that tevez didnt wanna stay at United....did any Utd fans think, "well, there is only one man who can sort this for us, we need to get St Michael in here asap!"

I dont think so, and am pretty sure Utd fans were expecting the likes of Benzema,Ibrahomovic,Ribery,Eto'o,Aguero to come in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

just out of curiousity, when Ronaldo was sold and it became apparent that tevez didnt wanna stay at United....did any Utd fans think, "well, there is only one man who can sort this for us, we need to get St Michael in here asap!"

I dont think so, and am pretty sure Utd fans were expecting the likes of Benzema,Ibrahomovic,Ribery,Eto'o,Aguero to come in.

Your right and your wrong. I never considered Owen. I thought he would be the perfect signing for Liverpool or Everton.

I was never expecting any of the names you mentioned. I was expecting lesser known players that could grow and hopefully improve at united. Valencia comes under that. Hopefully Obertan and other signings improve at united.

I would guess most united fans never expected the signing of the players you mentioned (Apart from Benzema) but probably hoped for those type of signings.

I don't know if Owen will be a success at united. If he stays fit yes, if not then no. But thats an easy answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I dont think Owen will set Old Trafford alight and I certainly amnt getting carried away with this signing.
    I dont think SAF would have paid any transfer fee for Owen and taking that into account I dont expect much from him.Its probably Fergies most carefree signing in a longtime.
    As it is I wouldnt be too pleased if we had only Owen to rely on should Rooney or Berbatov get injured.
    At the same time its not really a gamble on our part and so if Owen scores even 5 important goals, like tevez did last season, he will ultimately be deemed a success.

And just what the hell is your actual point here Alan? Really, were you trying to make one, or just state the obvious?

No one thought we would sign Owen, and I didn't really want us to sign him. I would have prefered players like the ones you listed there.

However, none of that has any bearing on how Owen will do for us now that he has signed.

No United fan thinks he is a world class signing - none think he will be first choice and bang 30 premier league goals for us this season. Some, however, do think that he can/could do a job for us as our 3rd choice striker. Some think that he is a decent finisher who will probably score a decent amount of goals for us without moaning to the press every time he doesn't start. Some think he could prove to be a GOOD signing, and are willing to see what will happen.

And just what the hell is your actual point here Alan? Really, were you trying to make one, or just state the obvious?

No one thought we would sign Owen, and I didn't really want us to sign him. I would have prefered players like the ones you listed there.

However, none of that has any bearing on how Owen will do for us now that he has signed.

No United fan thinks he is a world class signing - none think he will be first choice and bang 30 premier league goals for us this season. Some, however, do think that he can/could do a job for us as our 3rd choice striker. Some think that he is a decent finisher who will probably score a decent amount of goals for us without moaning to the press every time he doesn't start. Some think he could prove to be a GOOD signing, and are willing to see what will happen.

my point is, its irritating how fickle fans are.

the same fans who thought Tevez was the bomb, now think he wasnt good enough.

the same fans who a few weeks ago would have given stick to Owen about being over the hill & injury prone, now think he is a tasty little signing.

i personally think Owen will do ok for Utd when he is fit, but i've always thought that he'd do ok where ever he went.....most Utd fans can't say the same. Nope, their opinion of him changed as soon as SAF picked up the phone to him.

*also, please stop saying that Owen won't moan to the press, he is the medias darling in England and its a world cup year, and the one club he ever played at where he didnt get a game, he moaned to the press?!

if you actually looked into it, you would see that there is a sizable proportion of United fans who were fed up with the poor performances (the reasons for which are not entirely important) of Tevez and didn't want to see United spending a total of 30+million on him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

my point is, its irritating how fickle fans are.

the same fans who a few weeks ago would have given stick to Owen about being over the hill & injury prone, now think he is a tasty little signing.

i personally think Owen will do ok for Utd when he is fit, but i've always thought that he'd do ok where ever he went.....most Utd fans can't say the same. Nope, their opinion of him changed as soon as SAF picked up the phone to him.

As it should. If the boss has faith in a player it is natural for the teams fans to show some faith in the managers decisions.

Both the tevez/owen situations are more a sign of respect and a sign of support in the highly successful manager of Manchester United than anything else.

a lot of these fans opinions changed when it became apparent that Utd may not get him or want him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Utd have bought some duds in the last few years ..............Saha , Nani , Berbatov , spring to mind.

However , this time , I think they have a class proven goalscorer .................But only time will tell....

To answer your question, YES Owen will be a success at Utd

*also, please stop saying that Owen won't moan to the press, he is the medias darling in England and its a world cup year, and the one club he ever played at where he didnt get a game, he moaned to the press?!
    So - you are allowed to hold the opinion that Owen considers he will be first choice (on his pay-per-play deal - cause ALL the top stars and regular starters get those!) and will be moaning to the press if he isn't.

However, other people can not hold the opinion that he will probably play the same number of games as Tevez did last season, will have been told he would be used in that role, has accepted that he will be used in that role, and is unlikely to moan about being used in that role. We can also not believe that Owen's outlook on himself and his squad position just may have changed in the 4 years since he left Real Madrid, that his time at Newcastle and the fact no other big clubs were offering him guaranteed starting spots may not have contributed to making him a little more humble and accepting of the fact (almost certainly) he will be third choice behind Rooney and Berbatov.

Seriously Al, you are dictating what people can believe and say now? Seriously?

is owen definately on a pay per play deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

if you actually looked into it, you would see that there is a sizable proportion of United fans who were fed up with the poor performances (the reasons for which are not entirely important) of Tevez and didn't want to see United spending a total of 30+million on him.

The same could be said of Berbatov.

Anyway back on topic, no Owen won't score 20+ goals for United. He's too far removed from his top form to ever get it back. He's far too injury prone and he's unlikely to play enough consecutive games to ever get into one of his grooves where everything he hits goes in.

He looked like a pale shadow if himself at the end of last season, lacking any sort of first touch and ability on the ball. He looked too slow and too weak for the Premiership. If United whip him into shape he'll be handy to have on the bench though because the one thing he hasn't lost is his goal scoring instinct.

I just hope he has the same effect on United as he's had at his other clubs since he left Liverpool.

is owen definately on a pay per play deal?

every single article regarding the transfer and his contract has stated that he is on about 20k basic, and the rest is made up or performance bonus's and appearance payments.

I can't say it is definitely the case as I do not speak to Owen, or Fergie, or Gill and I have no access to his contract, but it would seem certain that he is indeed on a pay as you play deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement