Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will MICHEAL OWEN be a success at Man Utd ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Utd have bought some duds in the last few years ..............Saha , Nani , Berbatov , spring to mind.

Ha, if you're saying Saha was a dud for us then you have no idea about Man Utd sir. He was a very important player in the first of our 3 title winning years in a row! berbatov has only had one season too, judge him after next season imo. Im not his biggest fan but he will get a full pre season behind him this year. Nani may be regarded as a 'dud' but again hes young and he has the chance to play more potentially this season.

And having payed nothing for Owen and with his role clear in most peoples heads I think he will get us a good few goals which is all we signed him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

every single article regarding the transfer and his contract has stated that he is on about 20k basic, and the rest is made up or performance bonus's and appearance payments.

I can't say it is definitely the case as I do not speak to Owen, or Fergie, or Gill and I have no access to his contract, but it would seem certain that he is indeed on a pay as you play deal.

would've thought pay as you play deals would always be 1 year, tats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

every single article regarding the transfer and his contract has stated that he is on about 20k basic, and the rest is made up or performance bonus's and appearance payments.

I can't say it is definitely the case as I do not speak to Owen, or Fergie, or Gill and I have no access to his contract, but it would seem certain that he is indeed on a pay as you play deal.

I haven't seen one that say 20k. The average of what I have seen if somewhere around 50k..

Put it this way, the deal was sorted in less than 24 hours. Do you really think that the negotiations that resulted in Owen taken a 100k pay cut would have been completed so quickly? More so, do you really think that he would have signed a 2 year contract as well?

I am sorry, but I don't believe it for a second. Despite whatever injury concerns exist, 20k a week is an insult to a player of his calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I haven't seen one that say 20k. The average of what I have seen if somewhere around 50k..

Put it this way, the deal was sorted in less than 24 hours. Do you really think that the negotiations that resulted in Owen taken a 100k pay cut would have been completed so quickly? More so, do you really think that he would have signed a 2 year contract as well?

I am sorry, but I don't believe it for a second. Despite whatever injury concerns exist, 20k a week is an insult to a player of his calibre.

A player who most recently wasn't good enough to start games for Newcastle ?

There's no way he's on the same money as he was at Newcastle. He got a choice between United, Hull and Stoke. He had to accept the offer from United before Fergie wised up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    A player who most recently wasn't good enough to start games for Newcastle ?

There's no way he's on the same money as he was at Newcastle. He got a choice between United, Hull and Stoke. He had to accept the offer from United before Fergie wised up.

yeah....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My instant rule with football posts is that if anybody writes off a player because they pissed a penalty, the post clearly obtains no understanding of football whatsoever.

PHB wrote: »
    My instant rule with football posts is that if anybody writes off a player because they pissed a penalty, the post clearly obtains no understanding of football whatsoever.

would have to agree with this! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why then did SAF sell Saha , if was so important.

Berbatov is No.1 reason Man Utd did not make the FA cup final this year , ( dreadful penalty attempt )

imo Nani and Anderson are not anywhere good enough to play for Utd .

allthedoyles : > neutral football supporter

Anderson! I Doubt most united fans would agree with you on that one.

Us football fans are a sensitive lot, how does an owen thead becomes a chance to discuss the abilites of other players that are members of the Premier League champions?

I think Owens experience and recent problems will make him hungry for success at united and hopefully (From a Uniteds fans perspective) that new found hunger can help him be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why then did SAF sell Saha , if was so important.

Berbatov is No.1 reason Man Utd did not make the FA cup final this year , ( dreadful penalty attempt )

imo Nani and Anderson are not anywhere good enough to play for Utd .

allthedoyles : > neutral football supporter

COMEDY.gif

• Advertisement

lol thats a deadly gif :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

PHB wrote: »

I was going to respond to your original post but seems that you edited it and it was already done for me....at least your post wasnt quoted. Oh wait :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Owen will outscore Torres next season.

;)

mitch dont bother he wont be replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    mitch dont bother he wont be replying

Indeed - or if he does it will be an incredibly poor argument based on half-truths, wrapped in a post that doesn't quite make sense.

However, I have to respond or the rage will gather inside me. I don't suffer fools gladly, as my family would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

He will be a supersub. :D

DB10 wrote: »
    The Hull chairman said he wasn't prepared to sign such an expensive injury prone player who has been off form for years.

And Stoke done the same.

:hitting my head off the keyboard:

wtf did Phil Brown say then :face palm

and heres a nice link for ya about the hull chairman
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8113312.stm
    "We can give him reasons why we believe a move to Hull City would be a good decision for his career right now."

lolz at you

and while you at it answer mitch's post above without dodging it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

DB10 wrote: »
    The Hull chairman said he wasn't prepared to sign such an expensive injury prone player who has been off form for years.

And Stoke done the same.

Who knows more about football mate, the hull or Stoke chairmen or Sir Alex Ferguson? Owen will cost United £5 million + bonuses over the next two season, wheras Tevez cost us £16 million over the previous two seasons, and in one of them managed only 5 league goals.

Its not rocket science am afraid, pound for pound Owen is probably going to be Fergies greatest signing (with the exception of 1.25 million Canona or 750K Denis Irwin) if he stays fit, and the myth is he is injury prone, as his first 2 seasons he played 14 league games (scoring 7 goals). However in his last 2 seasons he played 56 games (scoring 19 league goals) and this is at a club which has been struggling for years, imagine what he will do at a club who has just won its third title in a row? :D

Yeah I think he will be a success and I would be VERY surprised if he won't be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

His going to be a bench player. Maybe giving an odd game or two, and then giving a few mins at the end of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Excellent article from Dion Fanning on the Owen move .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People forget that Owen was fully fit going into Newcastle's relegation battle but was playing so poorly that Shearer, despite claiming he was the player whose goals would save them, was forced to drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thread temporarily locked until I read through today's food fight.

Thread reopened after cleaning.

Be warned, any more mention of school being out, or the age or maturity of posters on this forum will be dealt with severely. I am losing patience with the air of superiority of certain people on this forum and the idea that new posters can be referred to in such a manner needs to go now.

Be civil, or risk a break from this forum. Report posts that require our attention, and DO NOT COMMENT ON THREAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People forget that Owen was fully fit going into Newcastle's relegation battle but was playing so poorly that Shearer, despite claiming he was the player whose goals would save them, was forced to drop him.

Well Newcastle were relegated, so dropping Owen might not have been the best idea so we will never know.

Also Owen came out today and more or less admitted he was useless the past year, can't fault him for his honesty.

Oh that article is a load of shíté, bitter and completely one sided TBH.

If Owen stays fit he will score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Boggles wrote: »
    Oh that article is a load of shíté, bitter and completely one sided TBH.

Not to mention the awful grammar and punctuation.

I love these articles, they try and paint a picture of rafa getting one over SAF after the rant.

Thanks to the rant the wheels fell off at liverpool united went on to yet another title (thanks to the rant!) and fergie is sitting at home with a cigar and a bottle of vino rubbing another trophy.

it's just bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the fact that everton offered 60k a week says a lot really

20k a week especially after tax wouldn't pay for his agent, not to mention his PR team lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Excellent article from Dion Fanning on the Owen move .

That is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the fact that everton offered 60k a week says a lot really
    20k a week especially after tax wouldn't pay for his agent, not to mention his PR team lol

Never heard of that - Everton were "interested" alright.

Clubs weren't exactly queueing up to sign Owen - hence his own self-promoted brouchure doing the rounds.

The guy is a walking injury and well past his sell-by-date.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Warper wrote: »

The guy is a walking injury and well past his sell-by-date.
    If your lucky :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

Completely agree, pile of sensationalist crud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I think Owen will be a success at united barring some bizarre spate of injuries keeping him out for the season.I'm not sure why people are comparing the Owen at Newcastle to what Owen will be at united.It is two completely different playing fields, not only in terms of stature but also at united he will have the backing of some world class coaches and i am sure fergie will get the best out of him.

At Newcastle, he wasn't the only player who showed absolutely no interest in saving the club last season and i am sure it wasn't helped by the managers employed at the club.

Bottom line, we got him on a free, paying him approx 50k per week so i dont c how he cannot be considered a success.By comparison Pennant just moved to Zaragoza and is getting a reported 70k.To get a player of Owen's proven ability is quite a shrewd move and i feel that united will reap the dividends of this leap of faith al a larsson.

Slightly off topic but what do ye think about Owen getting the prestigious No 7? I'm abit disappointed as i feel it is a clear indication that we will not be having any marquee signing this summer.This could prove a master stroke by fergie or be a complete disaster.By giving him the No 7 fergie must feel that he will have a big role in the team next year.

Who knows more about football mate, the hull or Stoke chairmen or Sir Alex Ferguson? Owen will cost United £5 million + bonuses over the next two season, wheras Tevez cost us £16 million over the previous two seasons, and in one of them managed only 5 league goals.

Its not rocket science am afraid, pound for pound Owen is probably going to be Fergies greatest signing (with the exception of 1.25 million Canona or 750K Denis Irwin) if he stays fit, and the myth is he is injury prone, as his first 2 seasons he played 14 league games (scoring 7 goals). However in his last 2 seasons he played 56 games (scoring 19 league goals) and this is at a club which has been struggling for years, imagine what he will do at a club who has just won its third title in a row? :D

Yeah I think he will be a success and I would be VERY surprised if he won't be one.

Expect to be surprised then.

In the past four years Owen has played 71 games in total. Given that there are 38 league games every year and at least two cup games, that's 71 games out of at least 160. So he has played less than half of the games. It's not a myth that he's injury prone and only the most one eyed of United fans could even attempt to suggest it is a myth.

I know you're disappointed about not being able to sign anyone good this summer, but let's not make out your signing the 2001 Michael Owen. You're signing a has been.

Expect to be surprised then.

In the past four years Owen has played 71 games in total. Given that there are 38 league games every year and at least two cup games, that's 71 games out of at least 160. So he has played less than half of the games. It's not a myth that he's injury prone and only the most one eyed of United fans could even attempt to suggest it is a myth.

I know you're disappointed about not being able to sign anyone good this summer, but let's not make out your signing the 2001 Michael Owen. You're signing a has been.

He admitted himself that his first two years at Newcastle were wrecked by serious injury but the last 2 seasons his record is 62 games 23 goals.I wouldn't consider that a bad strike rate for a player in a team who just got relegated.They played around 80-85 games so he managed to play in nearly 75% , hardly a has been.

He admitted himself that his first two years at Newcastle were wrecked by serious injury but the last 2 seasons his record is 62 games 23 goals.I wouldn't consider that a bad strike rate for a player in a team who just got relegated.They played around 80-85 games so he managed to play in nearly 75% , hardly a has been.

So he scores 1 in 3 now is what you're saying ?

His record at Liverpool was better than 1 in 2.

So he still ain't what he used to be.

So he scores 1 in 3 now is what you're saying ?

His record at Liverpool was better than 1 in 2.

So he still ain't what he used to be.

Comparing Liverpool against Championship Newcastle isn't exactly accurate.The fact that people are complaining that he is injury prone isn't actually true since he has played alot of football in the last two seasons and with the kind of service he will have at utd , who would bet against him getting better than 1 in 2 like in his pool days?

Comparing Liverpool against Championship Newcastle isn't exactly accurate.The fact that people are complaining that he is injury prone isn't actually true since he has played alot of football in the last two seasons and with the kind of service he will have at utd , who would bet against him getting better than 1 in 2 like in his pool days?

I would. Very happily too.

United became heavily reliant on Ronaldo in recent times, neither Rooney nor Berbatov (who are both better than Owen right now) have managed to score anywhere close to 1 in 2 for United.

I would. Very happily too.

United became heavily reliant on Ronaldo in recent times, neither Rooney nor Berbatov (who are both better than Owen right now) have managed to score anywhere close to 1 in 2 for United.

Owen hasn't been brought in to replace Ronaldo, he is there to supplement Rooney and Berbatov.Rooney has been played out of position so Ronaldo could be at his most devastating.With Ronaldo gone, Rooney will probably be allowed to play in his best position which will definitely ramp up his goal tally while berbatov had a poor first season and will have to step up his game if he wants to remain a utd player at the end of next season.

When Ronaldo played for us, the team played to his strengths as he was the man we built our formation around and players such as Rooney suffered somewhat in that they were played out of position but this will shift next season as more than likely Rooney will be the focus and our team will play to his strengths which should enable him to better his goal scoring record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He will be a new Forlan. Thats all. Decent signing.

Comparing Liverpool against Championship Newcastle isn't exactly accurate.

Calling them Championship Newcastle isn't exactly accurate either, unless I imagined their presence in the PL for the four years he was at the club?

Calling them Championship Newcastle isn't exactly accurate either, unless I imagined their presence in the PL for the four years he was at the club?

Well the team they had took them to the championship :D

• Advertisement

Owen hasn't been brought in to replace Ronaldo, he is there to supplement Rooney and Berbatov.Rooney has been played out of position so Ronaldo could be at his most devastating.With Ronaldo gone, Rooney will probably be allowed to play in his best position which will definitely ramp up his goal tally while berbatov had a poor first season and will have to step up his game if he wants to remain a utd player at the end of next season.

When Ronaldo played for us, the team played to his strengths as he was the man we built our formation around and players such as Rooney suffered somewhat in that they were played out of position but this will shift next season as more than likely Rooney will be the focus and our team will play to his strengths which should enable him to better his goal scoring record.

Where did I suggest you were replacing the best winger in the game with a past it striker ?

You can build whatever you like around Rooney but he'll never score anywhere near as many goals as Ronaldo did for you. Same goes for Berbatov and Owen.

Where did I suggest you were replacing the best winger in the game with a past it striker ?

You can build whatever you like around Rooney but he'll never score anywhere near as many goals as Ronaldo did for you. Same goes for Berbatov and Owen.

I don't think any player would equal Ronaldo's exploits of our CL winning season. The fact is with Roni gone, we will expect the rest of the team to pick up the slack, kind of like when henry left Arsenal.I don't expect any one player in our team to replace what Ronaldo gave us.

Next season is crucial for Berb/Andersen/Nani as if they don't up their game and start justifying their huge transfer fees, then they will find themselves surplus to requirements.

The only gripe i have with what happened this summer is that we didn't have any of our main targets secured before we decided to let the world know we just recieved £80mil.

Whether these signings will prove sucessful or not only time will tell.I do believe that we will sign an extra player before the season is out though.

I don't think any player would equal Ronaldo's exploits of our CL winning season. The fact is with Roni gone, we will expect the rest of the team to pick up the slack, kind of like when henry left Arsenal.I don't expect any one player in our team to replace what Ronaldo gave us.

Next season is crucial for Berb/Andersen/Nani as if they don't up their game and start justifying their huge transfer fees, then they will find themselves surplus to requirements.

The only gripe i have with what happened this summer is that we didn't have any of our main targets secured before we decided to let the world know we just recieved £80mil.

Whether these signings will prove sucessful or not only time will tell.I do believe that we will sign an extra player before the season is out though.

My own belief is that Berbatov was as good this season as he's ever really going to be for you. Too much was made of his first season with Spurs where he bagged a load of goals against European minnows in the UEFA Cup. You vastly overpaid for him and you're stuck with him now. We did the same with Keane and thankfully got rid of him quickly enough.

If United are to have a successful season you will definitely need Nani and Anderson to step up- because I don't think your new signings will improve you at all. Your attack will be nowhere near as sharp as it has been in the past and it must be a concern that even we're outscoring you now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seriously, alot of red-tinted opinions here!

Owen is washed up. He cant even get into the england squad ahead of world class players like em.. eh... Heskey. His pace is gone and he doesn't have the brain like Henry to change the type of player he is.

He will get the odd goal but so would any 2nd rate player playing for United.
    Weren't Hull favorites to sign him before United appeared. Says it all really!

BehHonest when the season ended would Owen be in the top five of your choices to replace Tevez... No way!! He was offered to Arsenal but Wenger said "Hell, no"!

does Owen getting the number 7 jersey mean that he is signed as more than the bite part player people here suggested?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    does Owen getting the number 7 jersey mean that he is signed as more than the bite part player people here suggested?
    I was thinking that myself. Seems madness to give to to a 3rd choice striker but I can't possibly imagine him being a regular starter.

Rafa said the other day Liverpool weren't in for Owen as they couldn't assure him the amount of playing time he wanted.

Obviously, be it falsely (as with Tevez last year), or with some sort of cunning plan in mind, SAF has assured Owen of regular football imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mr Alan wrote: »

I hope not because if he is going to be in the first team that would probably mean Rooney going to wing permantly. That would make me vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

£80m Ronaldo will be a flop at Real Madrid.

£0 Michael Owen will be a legend at Manchester United.

You heard it here first.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I hope not because if he is going to be in the first team that would probably mean Rooney going to wing permantly. That would make me vomit.
    I wouldn't worry, he wouldn't last the whole season anyway

Advertisement