Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will MICHEAL OWEN be a success at Man Utd ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was thinking that myself. Seems madness to give to to a 3rd choice striker but I can't possibly imagine him being a regular starter.

Why?

For me it makes sense when the alternatives were considered. Who else could get it, Valencia? He could do without the extra talk it would create.

In a time when some defenders wear numbers like 9 I think people are reading too much into squad numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Why?

For me it makes sense when the alternatives were considered. Who else could get it, Valencia? He could do without the extra talk it would create.

In a time when some defenders wear numbers like 9 I think people are reading too much into squad numbers.

In fairness though, it's the number 7.

No other jersey at United is revered like it - Robson, Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo.

I was surprised Rooney didn't take it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nah, talk about living in Ronaldo's shadow.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Nah, talk about living in Ronaldo's shadow.

Like Ronaldo was living in Becks shadow? Or Becks living in Cantona's? (although Sheringham had it in between).

You could argue the case all the way down the line, but it generally is held by one of the top players currently at the club.

• Advertisement

In fairness though, it's the number 7.

No other jersey at United is revered like it - Robson, Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo.

Many players have had the no 7 on their backs. Who was more established than Owen when they got it?

Cantona, handed 7 when he joined. Who could predict the impact he would have on united.
    Beackham was still an inexperienced player when he got it.
    Ronaldo didn't have enough experience to be called inexperienced when he got it.

I am sure Owen is getting it for the reason the above players got it. A way to boost Owens confidence.

If it goes bad what have united lost by giving him 7? Nothing.

Like Ronaldo was living in Becks shadow? Or Becks living in Cantona's? (although Sheringham had it in between).

You could argue the case all the way down the line, but it generally is held by one of the top players currently at the club.

When was teddy no.7?

When Cantona got it Bryan Robson was still at united.

When Beckham got it, By your rooney logic Keane should have taken it.

When Ronaldo got it he was a kid and nowhere near regarded as one of the top players at the club.

It a squad number, Owen will wear it, in two or 3 years time someone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney and Ronaldo were equally established/senior/important in the club while Ronaldo was wearing 7 so it's not like the previous transitions you mention. If Rooney was to take the number now it would be like an admission that he was always second in importance to ronaldo (which would be wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If he's no good, we can always get him to watch the corner flags in case they get nicked.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    When was teddy no.7?

When Cantona got it Bryan Robson was still at united.

When Beckham got it, By your rooney logic Keane should have taken it.

When Ronaldo got it he was a kid and nowhere near regarded as one of the top players at the club.

It a squad number, Owen will wear it, in two or 3 years time someone else will.

Sorry my mistake, he took Becks 10 when Becks went to 7. Got it wrong.

Alright chill guys. Was just saying that the last number of guys who took on the jerseys played a huge role with the club. I'm not saying Owen won't do that (I'm not mystic meg), but it looks as if he'll be third choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sorry my mistake, he took Becks 10 when Becks went to 7. Got it wrong.

Alright chill guys. Was just saying that the last number of guys who took on the jerseys played a huge role with the club. I'm not saying Owen won't do that (I'm not mystic meg), but it looks as if he'll be third choice.

Ii seriously doubt he'd have got the No.7 if he is gonna be third choice... I reckon that's Fergie's equivalent of a carrot to a donkey. Or a Walkers crisp to an... erm, Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rooney and Ronaldo were equally established/senior/important in the club while Ronaldo was wearing 7 so it's not like the previous transitions you mention. If Rooney was to take the number now it would be like an admission that he was always second in importance to ronaldo (which would be wrong).

how would that be wrong exactly?? the simple fact is that if ye didnt have ronnie the past two seasons ye almost definitely would not have won the league or CL. the same cannot be said about rooney. rooney is ronnies biaaatch at utd. he has played out of position on many occasions to accomadate ronnie. ronnie even got him sent off at that time while playing for portugal and rooney had to eat humble pie after that incident as ronnie was so the man!! ronnie was best player in the world while at utd for the past two seasons or so, how can you say that the best player in the world isnt as important as rooney to utd?? you are living on cloud nine if you think rooney was as important to utd the past two seasons as ronnie.

i know what you will say (but we dont play as well without rooney in the team blah blah blah) and let me pre empt that by saying that the exact same could be said of rio, big vid etc but that doesnt mean they are AS IMPORTANT as ronnie was!!!

rant over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Oliver Kay is suggesting Fergie might have lying about Owen getting the number 7.
    Gabriel Obertan and Antonio Valencia attracted a combined total of two questions – and only then after questions were demanded by a member of United’s communications staff. Interestingly, Ferguson said that Owen would take over the No 7 shirt from Ronaldo. He said so with a laugh, so don’t rush out and buy your “Owen 7” shirt just yet, United fans ... .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Ii seriously doubt he'd have got the No.7 if he is gonna be third choice... I reckon that's Fergie's equivalent of a carrot to a donkey. Or a Walkers crisp to an... erm, Owen.

how is it fergie's equivalent of a carrot to a donkey?? last time i checked the donkey wasnt simply given the carrot in that scenario and i think you would find that if the donkey was given the carrot he would simply lie down and eat his carrot!!! so ha i hope owen lies down and eats his carrot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Expect to be surprised then.

In the past four years Owen has played 71 games in total. Given that there are 38 league games every year and at least two cup games, that's 71 games out of at least 160.

Well this is where Owen is even more impressive, in the last two season he has played 62 games in League and cup and has scored 23 times, compared to 56 league games and 19 league goals.

His first two seasons were a disaster, his last two he played almost as many games as Rooney, Berbatov & Tevez for United (outscoring two of them for games per goals in a dreadful team).

Bottom line is last year he scored 8 out of Newcastles 40 league goals in a season he knew was gonna be his last for them which ain't bad. If he only plays 25 league games for United this year (and he won't be rushed back from any injuries like he was in Newcastles team) he will bang in 10+ goals as his average has always been that ratio.

He is not a has been in the mould of when pool signed Robbie Fowler when he clearly was past it, embarressing himself and taking a shine off his pre age 27 career at the club (which is s shame as he was simply the best English striker around bar Shearer of course) but United only need to get two seasons out of Owen to top up their assault. And who knows, finally a Liverpool player might get their hands on a League medal, letting Rafa's squad into the secret of winning one :D

Do you think Torres will stick around after this season if they win nowt again? He is supposed to be the best in the world and is in his prime career years, he ain't stupid.

Ruud done the same for us, he was phenonemal for us for five seasons and won one league title, one fa cup and a league cup which is not great. So he rightly went to were most continentals want to play, he went to Madrid and three seasons later he has won two titles.

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Expect to be surprised then.

In the past four years Owen has played 71 games in total. Given that there are 38 league games every year and at least two cup games, that's 71 games out of at least 160. So he has played less than half of the games. It's not a myth that he's injury prone and only the most one eyed of United fans could even attempt to suggest it is a myth.

I know you're disappointed about not being able to sign anyone good this summer, but let's not make out your signing the 2001 Michael Owen. You're signing a has been.

Selective stats FTW!!

In the last 4 seasons he has played 78 games (not 71).

However, i can counter that by saying in the last 2 seasons he has played 64 games. Given there were only 38 premierleague games in each season, and no real cup runs to speak of, i'd say there were possibly only 80 to 82 games he could have played in. So, that means he played in nearly 80% of the games Newcastle were involved in over the last two seasons. It that really THAT bad? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa said the other day Liverpool weren't in for Owen as they couldn't assure him the amount of playing time he wanted.

Obviously, be it falsely (as with Tevez last year), or with some sort of cunning plan in mind, SAF has assured Owen of regular football imo.
    You really think he had to convince Owen to sign for United over Hull and Stoke? Really!?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa said the other day Liverpool weren't in for Owen as they couldn't assure him the amount of playing time he wanted.

Obviously, be it falsely (as with Tevez last year), or with some sort of cunning plan in mind, SAF has assured Owen of regular football imo.

Or, maybe, Rafa isn't telling the truth. He has been known to tell lies in the past.

Or, maybe, Rafa isn't telling the truth. He has been known to tell lies in the past.

Thats just so wrong Mitch, you know well Rafa only deals in FAHCTS.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think Owen has a chance of doing well at United as I think the tactical system at United is about to change now that Ronaldo has left the club. I firmly believe that we will revert to a more classical 4-4-2 with Rooney playing off Berbatov and then Owen will be given the opportunities to step into Rooney's place later in games or possibly from the start of games depending on who we play and his form. I can see Rooney shifting to the wing in big games or in European games with Owen playing up front off Berbatov.

If Owen and Berbatov are playing well then I can see that being a lethal front two as their styles of play are directly complimentary and I don't think anyone can argue against that however, the If is a very big If but not impossible.

My opinion is that Owen will score 12 to 18 league goals and between 5 and 10 in other competitions which would be an excellent return, what will define Owens success will be the performance of other players such as Rooney, Berbatov and god forbid Nani who will need to score a lot of goals between them to make United a successful side this coming season.

If United come third or fourth in the league and don't make it beyond the last 16 in Europe and think winning the Carling Cup is a good return then everyone is going to say Owen was a flop no matter how many he scores.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote: »
    If United come third or fourth in the league and don't make it beyond the last 16 in Europe and think winning the Carling Cup is a good return then everyone is going to say Owen was a flop no matter how many he scores.

I think this is a very big part of the issue. A lot of people will equate Owen being a success directly to whatever success United have, which would be unfair.

I think Owen himself can be a good signing for United, and be a success - but I also worry that he will not be enough to maintain the standards United have set over the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think this is a very big part of the issue. A lot of people will equate Owen being a success directly to whatever success United have, which would be unfair.

I think Owen himself can be a good signing for United, and be a success - but I also worry that he will not be enough to maintain the standards United have set over the last 3 seasons.

Even if United are successful with Owen there will be people saying he was muck just like Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

lads, they're f*cking squad numbers who gives a flying hoot what number he wears as long as he's banging in the goals

squad number != amount games he's going to get

if he's firing he'll get in the if he's not he won't same as everyone else

fergie's not going to keep putting him in because he got number f*cking 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

no doubt it wont be fit enough for a season to get 20+ goals in the season
    Doubt he'd make 10 starts

no doubt it wont be fit enough for a season to get 20+ goals in the season
    Doubt he'd make 10 starts

this based on the 30 or so appearance made last season and the season before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

no but i think that united have a lot more quality then newcastle had up front just my personal opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

He is too injury prone - if he stays fit he could do well but i doubt it - i think he will gone before the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Has there been a photo call with Owen number 7 yet or is it just the United website that has him as 7?
    Also read Oliver Kays piece in the times online, who said Fergie chuckled when saying Owen will take number 7...

only1stevo wrote: »
    Has there been a photo call with Owen number 7 yet or is it just the United website that has him as 7?
    Also read Oliver Kays piece in the times online, who said Fergie chuckled when saying Owen will take number 7...

They were discussing it on mutv there was no confirmation tho, just lots of laughter.

but who gives a f*ck.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    They were discussing it on mutv there was no confirmation tho, just lots of laughter.

but who gives a f*ck.

Me.

It may be just another number to you, but to myself and a lot of other United fans the number 7 is a symbolic issue, with United greats such as Robson, Cantona, Becks and Ronaldo having worn it. It should be given to an iconic player, or a player it is felt has the potential to be that kind of player. Owen doesn't cut it, imo.

Me.

It may be just another number to you, but to myself and a lot of other United fans the number 7 is a symbolic issue, with United greats such as Robson, Cantona, Becks and Ronaldo having worn it. It should be given to an iconic player, or a player it is felt has the potential to be that kind of player. Owen doesn't cut it, imo.

Jesus Mitch to say Owen doesn't have the potential is naive in the extreme.

If he starts banging in goals and contributes to the success then no one will mention what number his stuck to his jersey.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus Mitch to say Owen doesn't have the potential is naive in the extreme.

If he starts banging in goals and contributes to the success then no one will mention what number his stuck to his jersey.

Naive?

It is naive to suggest that Berbatov and Rooney will be the first choice strike force? Really, is it? I would have thought it was naive to suggest otherwise myself.

Me.

Sorry I'm not a "true" fan because I don't give a hoot who wears what number.

micheal owen is an iconic player ffs and Cantona wasn't much of an icon when he dawned it nor was beckham.

it's like saying carrick shouldn't have gotten 16 because he's not half the player roy was and never will be it's just childish nonsense.

players number's haven't really held any weight since they did away with 1-11.

grow up ffs.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not a "true" fan because I don't give a hoot who wears what number.
    Did I say anything even remotely similar to that?
    micheal owen is an iconic player ffs and Cantona wasn't much of an icon when he dawned it nor was beckham.
    Owen is an iconic player? To who? Liverpool fans have no love for him, neither do Real and Newcastle certainly don't. Fallen completely out of favour with the england supporters to. He is a decent player now. Who is he an icon to? You really think he is going to become a United icon? I can see people warming to him, and supporting him, but you really think he will get the love Cantona, Becks, Ronnie or Robson got? Also, Becks was CERTAINLY a fan favourite when he got it.
    it's like saying carrick shouldn't have gotten 16 because he's not half the player roy was and never will be it's just childish nonsense.
    No it is not, Keane was one player to wear 16. A great player, but the 16 jersey had no history or tradition before that. It was never an iconic number at United. You think the number 10 for Argentina means nothing? You think the number 3 will mean nothing for Milan now? Numbers do have significance, certain numbers do.

grow up ffs.

Take your own advice.

Who should wear 7 for United next season then Mitch?

• Advertisement

Naive?

It is naive to suggest that Berbatov and Rooney will be the first choice strike force? Really, is it? I would have thought it was naive to suggest otherwise myself.

Yeah they will play all 60 odd games alright.

If anything Rooney is just as injury prone as Owen, there is plenty games to go around.

Can't stand people writing players off before a chance is given.

One thing Owen actually has going for which is massive and which is what all strikers the ilk of Owen thrive on his confidence, it must be sky high after Ferguson signing him and also giving him the number 7 shirt.

Alternatively you look at the number 7 shirt as been cursed.

Best - Troubled
    Robson - Troubled
    Cantona - Loon Bag
    Beckham - Boot Gate / Underwear Gate
    Ronaldo - Gone

Owen will keep the number 7 warm for a couple of years before we sign the next best thing.

Giving it to the Likes of Owen does not degrade it in any way shape or fashion.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Who should wear 7 for United next season then Mitch?

Ahead of Owen and in no particular order, I would have had Welbeck, Valencia, Anderson, Rooney, Nani, Berbatov.

Ideally it would have been either Aguero or Benzema though, if we had gone for Ashley Young I'd have given it to him too.

All players more suited to living up to the hype of the number 7.

Yeah they will play all 60 odd games alright.

If anything Rooney is just as injury prone as Owen, there is plenty games to go around.

Can't stand people writing players off before a chance is given.

One thing Owen actually has going for which is massive and which is what all strikers the ilk of Owen thrive on his confidence, it must be sky high after Ferguson signing him and also giving him the number 7 shirt.

Alternatively you look at the number 7 shirt as been cursed.

Best - Troubled
    Robson - Troubled
    Cantona - Loon Bag
    Beckham - Boot Gate / Underwear Gate
    Ronaldo - Gone

Owen will keep the number 7 warm for a couple of years before we sign the next best thing.

Giving it to the Likes of Owen does not degrade it in any way shape or fashion.
    Christ boggles, where have I written him off? Saying he can be a quality third choice striker behind our two 30million men up front is writing him off is it? FFS Boggles...

Owen is an iconic player? To who? Liverpool fans have no love for him, neither do Real and Newcastle certainly don't. Fallen completely out of favour with the england supporters to. He is a decent player now. Who is he an icon to? You really think he is going to become a United icon? I can see people warming to him, and supporting him, but you really think he will get the love Cantona, Becks, Ronnie or Robson got? Also, Becks was CERTAINLY a fan favourite when he got it.

He is a footballing icon he was a child prodigy FFS. cantona was nothing but a leeds united tatoo wearing pup, look at him now.

I hope he does who thought ole would become what he did? who knew ronaldo would become what he did, same as becks same as cantona you're writing him off giving out about the number he's going to wear and we don't even know if he will wear it yet.
    No it is not, Keane was one player to wear 16. A great player, but the 16 jersey had no history or tradition before that. It was never an iconic number at United. You think the number 10 for Argentina means nothing? You think the number 3 will mean nothing for Milan now? Numbers do have significance, certain numbers do.

Of course it is he is stepping into the number of one of the most adored loved players to ever put on a united jersey the man who gave everything and consntantly put his body on the line for the team that brought to them unprecidented glory. If I was going to be annoyed about a player going into someone's number it would be Roy's, not a player who cared more about his fecking hair and makeup while playing (beckham) followed by another player who was more concerned about his hair and tan lines.

seriously it's something i expect to converse about with my daughter not a grown man.

Christ boggles, where have I written him off? Saying he can be a quality third choice striker behind our two 30million men up front is writing him off is it? FFS Boggles...

Christ Mitch you have said on numerous occasions united won't win a fooking thing next season, if thats not writing Owen and the rest off I don't know what is.

• Advertisement

Ahead of Owen and in no particular order, I would have had Welbeck, Valencia, Anderson, Rooney, Nani, Berbatov.

Ideally it would have been either Aguero or Benzema though, if we had gone for Ashley Young I'd have given it to him too.

So after your eloquent speech about United legends Robson, Cantona, Beckham et al, you say unproven talents like Nani, Valencia and Anderson ARE worthy? I'll give you Rooney, but Owen has done ten time more in his career to deserve the jersey than that lot. Nani could be on the transfer list by January for God's sake.

Mind boggling.

So after your eloquent speech about United legends Robson, Cantona, Beckham et al, you say unproven talents like Nani, Valencia and Anderson ARE worthy? I'll give you Rooney, but Owen has done ten time more in his career to deserve the jersey than that lot. Nani could be on the transfer list by January for God's sake.

Mind boggling.

Reports Rooney turned it down.

I think if Nani or Anderson got the number 7, I would go on a Mitch style rant! ;)

you would have welbeck? nani? valencia?

but not a player with one of the best strike records in the world?

right I'm finished with this now..

Christ Mitch you have said on numerous occasions united won't win a fooking thing next season, if thats not writing Owen and the rest off I don't know what is.

Are you being deliberately stupid to annoy me? Seriously?

You're right, I don't think United will win the league or CL next season. Does that mean every player we have is going to be a failure? Does it mean everyone we sign is a failure? NO it doesn't, and you are being stupid to suggest it does.

Has Torres failed at Liverpool? They haven't won anything, so it must mean he is a complete flop, right? That is your logic, isn't it? How about Arshavin at Arsenal, they won nowt last year - sell him and sack wenger for buying him.

Same with Mascherano - he's won nothing so he must have been a complete failure.

I think Owen will be a success, I think he will get around 15 goals. Do I think that will be enough to make up for the match winning abilities we have lost with Ronaldo gone? Do I think it will be enough to make up for the poorer impact I feel Scholes and Giggs will have? No, right now I do not. That doesn't mean he will have been a failure, it simply means that as a squad we might not be quite good enough this season.

Mind boggling.

Nani, Valencia and Anderson HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE GREAT PLAYERS FOR US LONG TERM, MORE SO, IMO, THAN OWEN DOES. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK OWEN WILL BE A FAILURE, I JUST DON'T THINK HE WILL BE AN AMAZING PLAYER AND GO DOWN AS A LEGEND, WHICH IS THE TYPE OF PLAYER THE NUMBER SHOULD BE GIVEN TOO. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I THINK NANI WOULD CERTAINLY BE THAT PLAYER, BUT I BELIEVE HE HAS THE TALENT AND POTENTIAL TO BE.

clearer?

You're right, I don't think United will win the league or CL next season. Does that mean every player we have is going to be a failure? Does it mean everyone we sign is a failure? NO it doesn't, and you are being stupid to suggest it does.

Has Torres failed at Liverpool? They haven't won anything, so it must mean he is a complete flop, right? That is your logic, isn't it? How about Arshavin at Arsenal, they won nowt last year - sell him and sack wenger for buying him.

Same with Mascherano - he's won nothing so he must have been a complete failure.

I think Owen will be a success, I think he will get around 15 goals. Do I think that will be enough to make up for the match winning abilities we have lost with Ronaldo gone? Do I think it will be enough to make up for the poorer impact I feel Scholes and Giggs will have? No, right now I do not. That doesn't mean he will have been a failure, it simply means that as a squad we might not be quite good enough this season.

After your suggesting Nani for the No. 7 jersey, I don't think its Boggles who's being stupid this morning mate, in all fairness.:eek:

Yeah I'm being stupid to suggest that Uniteds main problem last year was finishing chances, I'm stupid to suggest signing one of the best finishers around to address said problem is stupid.

Stand back from that glass Mitch, it may be alot fuller then you realise, all complete over reacting rants at every little thing aside like.

Nani, Valencia and Anderson HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE GREAT PLAYERS FOR US LONG TERM, MORE SO, IMO, THAN OWEN DOES. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK OWEN WILL BE A FAILURE, I JUST DON'T THINK HE WILL BE AN AMAZING PLAYER AND GO DOWN AS A LEGEND, WHICH IS THE TYPE OF PLAYER THE NUMBER SHOULD BE GIVEN TOO. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I THINK NANI WOULD CERTAINLY BE THAT PLAYER, BUT I BELIEVE HE HAS THE TALENT AND POTENTIAL TO BE.

clearer?

This would all be well and good if you were championing a player who had shown even a hint of being a club legend. But you're not. You're suggesting NANI!!!

He's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he could even be good enough to be an impact sub, not to mind a club legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Giving a player a number of about psychology. I'd have given the 7 to Nani, and told him to step up, and make it your own. I think Nani's potential with us is higher than Owen's, just due to age. Some players can respond to that sort of pressure, Ronaldo did for example. Then again, Fergie knows these things better than anyone, so if he didn't give it to Nani, maybe he doesnt think he'll respond in that sort of way.

---

Gee I didn't realise Owen had played that much football in the last 2 years. That is quite promising.

I think its possible that Fergie was able to convince Owen to play a less games than he woulda wanted from Liverpool. It's also possible Fergie committed him to a number of games. I'd say he'll get at least 15 league starts assuming he's fit, which should be enough for him to make an impression. If he plays better, he'll get more.

PHB wrote: »
    Giving a player a number of about psychology. I'd have given the 7 to Nani, and told him to step up, and make it your own. I think Nani's potential with us is higher than Owen's, just due to age. Some players can respond to that sort of pressure, Ronaldo did for example. Then again, Fergie knows these things better than anyone, so if he didn't give it to Nani, maybe he doesnt think he'll respond in that sort of way.

I really don't think Nani has it in him. Giving it to Ronaldo proved inspired at the time and he certainly lived up to the prestige of the jersey. I don't see Nani as having the same potential sadly. In fact I don't see him starting a whole load of games next season, so giving him No 7 would make little sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement