Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will MICHEAL OWEN be a success at Man Utd ?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Before writing Michael Owen's footballing epitaph maybe we should judge him on more than a substitute appearance and a display in which pretty much all United's players were rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

where he had a better chance to goals ratio than any of the top strikers in the league?

I wish he was continuing on from there - he'd have hit at least one at this point.
    He was shocking last year. TBH he's never been the same player since he left Liverpool. Very strange signing. IMO United must be in deep financial dog do do if they are bringing in players the standard of Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness a lot of people had him written off before his move to Utd & predicted he'd be rubbish for them.

It was always gonna be the case that people would point out as much when their predictions were being realised.

(personally, i think he'll do alright, get about 10 across the season in all comps)

Before writing Michael Owen's footballing epitaph maybe we should judge him on more than a substitute appearance and a display in which pretty much all United's players were rubbish.
    I'd be more inclined to judge him on the fact his whole game was about pace and TBH he's got none left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

My opinion is not based on 100 mins played for Man Utd. It's based on 4 years of dicking around on £110,000 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Whatever Al, i'm not in the mood for your accusations. believe whatever you want.

The stats Sky Sports showed at the time we signed him had his goals to chances ration at 26% (or around there) better than Torres who was around 22%, Rooney at 12 or 14 aqnd Tevez at some single digit figure i think.

i remember seeing this i think!! but then again i'm not often right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bandit12 wrote: »
    He was shocking last year. TBH he's never been the same player since he left Liverpool. Very strange signing. IMO United must be in deep financial dog do do if they are bringing in players the standard of Owen.

He hasn't had a big run of injury free games since he left Liverpool, which (knocks on wood) he looks to be getting at United from the early signs. He hasn't had his finishing feet on in his first 2 league games but he has gotten into some very good positions and you have to feel he will start knocking those in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness a lot of people had him written off before his move to Utd & predicted he'd be rubbish for them.

It was always gonna be the case that people would point out as much when their predictions were being realised.

(personally, i think he'll do alright, get about 10 across the season in all comps)

I tried so hard not to post in this thread but the sheer and utter ****e being spouted between here and the match thread is just ridiculous.

Count how many minutes he's played this season and then put them in a bit of context. Then please ask yourself, am I right to think that these predictions are being realised or should i hold on a bit?

Try it, seriously.

Can't be doing with this crap tonight, will post again in the morning when maybe some have a little more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to judge him on the fact his whole game was about pace and TBH he's got none left.

No, his game is about making runs at the right time and good finishing and while his finishing has been off he is still making great runs behind the defense.

In fairness he looked sharp in pre-season and I don't recall many people slating the free signing when he was scoring then. If he had scored against Birmingham near the end at the weekend this discussion would not be happening.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    He hasn't had a big run of injury free games since he left Liverpool, which (knocks on wood) he looks to be getting at United from the early signs. He hasn't had his finishing feet on in his first 2 league games but he has gotten into some very good positions and you have to feel he will start knocking those in.

but Utd fans have been saying that in actual fact his injury record isnt as bad as people think, thats he's been fit the past 2 seasons?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Liam O wrote: »
    So how are United fans wrong? He's play a total of around 90 mins in the league...

The opinion wasn't my opinion.

its not my opinion either, just saying that people who thought he's been rubbish the last 2 years & are saying now that they still think he'd rubbish aren't making silly knee jerk reactions like people are trying to make out.

In fairness he looked sharp in pre-season and I don't recall many people slating the free signing when he was scoring then. If he had scored against Birmingham near the end at the weekend this discussion would not be happening.

But that's the point, he didn't.

Too many times towards our run in last season, Michael 'give him chances and he will score' Owen was in similar one on one positions and bottled it.

The hype surrounding him, and the money he has commanded, has been based on being an out and out goal scorer. For far too long, he's been an average finisher at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

How will it be determined if Michael Owen has been a success?

orourkeda wrote: »

Probably will be overshadowed by the sighting of pigs flying on the same day.

Charlie wrote: »
    But that's the point, he didn't.

Too many times towards our run in last season, Michael 'give him chances and he will score' Owen was in similar one on one positions and bottled it.

The hype surrounding him, and the money he has commanded, has been based on being an out and out goal scorer. For far too long, he's been an average finisher at best.

But sure how can he be written off because the goalkeeper makes a good save against him?

Robbie Keane had a nightmare against Liverpool missing about 3 good chances but by all accounts tonight he played a blinder.

I know he's not the player he once was but I still think he can be useful and that if he is given chances he will stick them away. I know you rated him the season before last and I believe he can get back to being at that level which would likely be good enough for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Robbie Keane had a nightmare against Liverpool missing about 3 good chances but by all accounts tonight he played a blinder.

lol at comparing Owen to Keane, he's definately doomed then.

I still think he can be useful and that if he is given chances he will stick them away. I know you rated him the season before last and I believe he can get back to being at that level which would likely be good enough for United.

see, i think this is what is annoying people, the above can be said about anyone unless you mean that he'll take all the chances he gets, or at least the vast majority, which he just hasnt dont for quite some time.

• Advertisement

Is'nt the crust of the matter here that United should have been signing players the quality of Benzema and not Owen. I think Owen will score between 10-15 goals for United this season (tops) but surely a club like United should have been bringing in a player of higher quality that could bang in at least 20-25 a season. At the end of the day Micheal Owen was a striker who played like he could'nt give a flying hoot if his club went down or not last season and still fergie signed him.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

see, i think this is what is annoying people, the above can be said about anyone unless you mean that he'll take all the chances he gets, or at least the vast majority, which he just hasnt dont for quite some time.

also if he missed those chances is there someone else who should have been there scoring them? an aguero or villa?? or even a berbatov?

But sure how can he be written off because the goalkeeper makes a good save against him?

I know he's not the player he once was but I still think he can be useful and that if he is given chances he will stick them away. I know you rated him the season before last and I believe he can get back to being at that level which would likely be good enough for United.

My feeling is that Owen has lost his pace, and that something special that once made him a great striker. Now, there are players who have experienced similar transitions in their carers (Shearer, Sheringham etc.) who adjusted their game, and worked hard at still being a top player.

Problem is, Owen has shown (imo) over the last number of years, that he no longer is interested in being a proper pro club footballer. If he's not playing with his helicopters, he's building another stud farm, or rushing himself back to make sure he can get in the England squad.

Now, this might not be an issue for United fans, as he has been brought in on a free, and is on a cheap pay as you play deal.

But for Newcastle fans, that kinda of attitude and lack of commitment, was a bitter pill to swallow.

I mean if he gets good enough support from the rest of the players which he blatantly didn't get tonight as United's players looked bereft of ideas.

In Owen we're not talking about a guy who doesn't know how to hit the back of the net. He has done that for the bulk of his career and he's now at a team that usually can carve out plenty of chances.

I'll put it like this, if Bendtner can be useful for Arsenal then Owen can be useful for United.

I'll put it like this, if Bendtner can be useful for Arsenal then Owen can be useful for United.

And when was the last time Arsenal won a major trophy?

Should United not be aiming higher than the lowest common denominator?

Charlie wrote: »
    And when was the last time Arsenal won a major trophy?

Should United not be aiming higher than the lowest common denominator?

Let's be honest though Arsenal's failure to win a trophy isn't down to their lack of ability to get goals.

I can understand why Newcastle fans are unhappy with how he performed last season and to be honest I thought he was finished when I saw him play at the tail end of last season. I also reacted in horror at the news he would come to the club but I have a feeling he can contribute with about 10 league goals by the end of the season which I would regard as a success.

I accept he has lost his pace but I don't think he has lost that knack to find the back of the net and with a World Cup on the horizon he has a real incentive, which is not financial as perhaps it was at Newcastle, to prove himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really? He has made two appearances. Two!! FFS. :confused:
    orourkeda wrote: »

End of season stats that are 2x what Tevez produced last year would be an excellent return. Matching Tevez's stats would be acceptable given what he cost.

Give the man some time. Wow, my head hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Let's be honest though Arsenal's failure to win a trophy isn't down to their lack of ability to get goals.

I can understand why Newcastle fans are unhappy with how he performed last season and to be honest I thought he was finished when I saw him play at the tail end of last season. I also reacted in horror at the news he would come to the club but I have a feeling he can contribute with about 10 league goals by the end of the season which I would regard as a success.

I accept he has lost his pace but I don't think he has lost that knack to find the back of the net and with a World Cup on the horizon he has a real incentive, which is not financial as perhaps it was at Newcastle, to prove himself.

There's a good few strikers in the championship who could get at least 10 premier league goals. The problem to seems to be that Owen is expected to get the goals that Ronaldo and Tevez got with the help of Rooney. The problem is Rooney isn't a natural goalscorer and never will be. Owen just isn't good enough and unless United got out and buy another attacking midfielder or striker then there in trouble.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Really? He has made two appearances. Two!! FFS. :confused:

End of season stats that are 2x what Tevez produced last year would be an excellent return. Matching Tevez's stats would be acceptable given what he cost.

He doesn't have time though and even then it's no excuse. I mean it's not like he's moved to a new coutnry with a new language to learn and a new culture to adopt to(well I suppose training and having to actually put in some effort when he plays matches is a bit of culture shock to him) so I don't see why it shouldn't hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

if owen scores 5 league goals for man utd in 30 league games this season that will be considered a huge disappointment, remember Andriy Voronin scored 5 league goals in 19 games for liverpool two seasons ago........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if owen scores 5 league goals for man utd in 30 league games this season that will be considered a huge disappointment, remember Andriy Voronin scored 5 league goals in 19 games for liverpool two seasons ago........

If you get a guy for free to replace a player, and he matches that player's performance from the previous season, it shouldn't be considered a disappointment. Just because most people may view it as such doesn't mean it is actually bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If you get a guy for free to replace a player, and he matches that player's performance from the previous season, it shouldn't be considered a disappointment. Just because most people may view it as such doesn't mean it is actually bad.

Just because he scores the same amount of goals as Tevez doesn't mean he'll come close to matching Tevez performances'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well in this case it's very different
    where Tevez only scored 5 league goals (much more in all comps) when he plays he offers alot more to the team as a whole - so if Owen who only has one facet to his game and thats scoring goals only gets 5 then he would be an unmitigated failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Tevez is a waste of space. Yep - he runs around a lot. Yep - a few crosses bounce off him & end up in the back of the net.. but is he any good? If he was, Ferguson wouldn't have left him hanging, then let him go.

The Maestro is no fool... as for Owen.. a punt that needs to break his duck.

Early days.

how fickle are ye? tevez scored about 35 goals in less that 100 games while at utd - few goals in of his arse? nonsense. He's an excellent player and the reason he'd gone is because Ferguson panders to ego's.

Tevez certainly contributed to United's success and to downplay his contribution to United's success would be to rewrite history but he didn't leave because Ferguson pandered to egos. If Tevez's own ego is so fragile that he can't tolerate a manager possessing other striking options then he's in for a really hard time of it at City, whose striking options pose more of a threat to his playing time than United's ever did.

The real reason Tevez went is because he wanted to make his wallet bigger as opposed to his medal collection.

Tevez certainly contributed to United's success and to downplay his contribution to United's success would be to rewrite history but he didn't leave because Ferguson pandered to egos. If Tevez's own ego is so fragile that he can't tolerate a manager possessing other striking options then he's in for a really hard time of it at City, whose striking options pose more of a threat to his playing time than United's ever did.

The real reason Tevez went is because he wanted to make his wallet bigger as opposed to his medal collection.

He's 25 would be a starter at nearly any club in the world including Pool, Chelsea, Real and of the italian sides.
    He had earned his spot with United in his first season imo.

Nothing to do with not being up for trying to break in but looks to me anyone like he feels he was unfairly treated which I'd agree with. I reckon the wage packet thing is slightly out of line too - he wants to play, he wants to be appreciated not a whole lot wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Lads be honest and dont read anything into it, its customary for united to do cr*p at the start, this makes me happy because we are the same as old ways, wait til we some come end of season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

To answer the thread question........NO
    That is all.

Advertisement