Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So then, Blazblue any good?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭

So, even though this looks like it won't get a european release for a good long time (PS3 owners can import it, though), I figured I'd make a thread about it. It's the new game from the Guilty Gear people, in glorious HD and seems just as ridiculous as its predecessors.

Instead of writing a huge OP, I direct everyone to read Henaki's excellent OP about the game on the SA forums.

Though I will copy and paste his links section as I am very lazy! Again, all credit goes to Henaki/AHFB.
    http://www.dustloop.com - American BlazBlue/Guilty Gear community. Warning: This place is filled with idiots and trolls! There's a good amount of tournaments listed, with some ok character discussion, but seriously half the people here don't know what they are talking about.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/blazblue/index/ - A much ****tier looking site, however it has frame data and other different people who are overall better at the game. The guide list is a good place to get started learning and even mastering your character. The forum software they use sucks though.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/ - Not a lot here BlazBlue wise, but if you're looking for local tournaments or a local scene, you may have better luck here. There's also some good tech forums as well, if you need joystick/console/television related help.

http://www.youtube.com - You know what this is. Search for character names or player names to find match videos.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/ - Japanese video site, has a lot of BlazBlue matches you may not find on youtube. Since it's in Japanese, you're going to need some knowledge of it (or at least be able to copy and paste Japanese) to look around.

http://www.iplaywinner.com/blazblue-character-strategy - Pictures of each characters movelist, easier to read than most other movelists. Aksys originally took these images down for some reason but they are still up here.
    http://www.iplaywinner.com/blazblue-system/ - Good quick rundown on the system mechanics.

Also, a bonus video of girls playing BB (one of whom is the VA for Noel) :pac:.

Really looking forward to this game (though I have no experience with GG really), pity I probably won't get to play it for ages.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That does look pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Torn between maining this or KOF XII.
    Of course, it's all just the warm-up for Tekken 6 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You importing it on PS3 then? Otherwise you don't have to choose as KOF is all you'll have. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rascaduanok

‘Spiritual’ successor to Guilty Gear? By the looks and sounds of it it IS Guilty Gear with different characters and storyline!

So why do I want it so much!?

‘Spiritual’ successor to Guilty Gear? By the looks and sounds of it it IS Guilty Gear with different characters and storyline!

So why do I want it so much!?

Guilty Gear II is the next GG game but apparently it sucks or something (according to KO Kiki). And yeah BB looks badass.

• Advertisement

Guilty Gear 2 is some kind of 3D strategy/beat-em-up nonsense -- I guess like Dynasty Warriors with RTS elements?
    It's been out in the US since last October, and really, the only reason I REALLY hate it is for NOT being a high-res 2D fighter (reviewers, OTOH... they had a field day :D).

But that's what we have BlazBlue for! Sexy, 720p, 2D, simple-control BB. Mmmmh... Noel...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I'd be interested to see what its like. Seems very popular in the Japanese arcade rankings so I'm curious. I get the feeling though that its one of those games with 30 hit combos.

I know Akuma's SGS is 27 hit but it holds the coolness factor of you don't what the f is going on and when you know that there is some crazy sh!t on but can't see it, it always makes it brilliant :).

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

The lack of pyshco power in this game is very off-putting.

No pyscho power = no purchase for me!

Watched some match vids with V-13 players.
    Holy GOD she has some sick combos!

Yeah, she seems far beyond the rest of the cast at least in the current metagame.

• Advertisement

Jealously over Americans owning this game starts...now

When is the European release?

Never. :pac:

(No release date so far)

OK, Wikipedia has BB's US PSN release date down as Jun.30, but I just checked and it's still not there.
    Though having said that, I'd still rather have a physical copy, for playing in XGC etc.

Must get on that.

It is definitely out on general release in America.

I'll be getting it off eBay this week so.
    Been hearing the netcode's INSANELY good; and it has 6-person lobbies :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guys on hardcore gaming 101 say it makes the poor netcode in SFIV seem like dial up and is better than even 2DF and HD Remix.

Its been out for almost two weeks now. Seemed to be very popular at the Japanese arcades. So have any of you PS3 guys imported it? How does it compare with SF? I never played the Guilty Gear series so I wouldn't know anything about it but I do have a strange hunch that its brilliant. So is it?

I played a bit, and am now desperately trying to import it.

It looks FANTASTIC, and plays very nicely (offline only so far, will check online when I get my copy)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I wasn't a huge Guilty Gear fan and as such, wasn't expecting to enjoy BlazBlue that much. But my initial impression was very good when I played it. It was on the arcade so I can't can comment on online play either. Each character has their own take on a super bar which I though was interesting. For example Hakuman needs smaller sections of his meter to fill before he can use special moves and Tager gets another meter that allows him to throw a fireball when full. Its definitely an interesting title, but something you would need to sit down a play for a good while to get your head around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I have it ordered from ebay set me back 90 quid total should be here by wednesday. I MIGHT bring it to SF4R3 depending if i can trust people enough not to make off with it. But i heard it's a solid title, it's been getting great reviews & was even tipped by alot of SF vets that it might just be the SF4 beater. If it compares anywhere to GGXXAC+ then it's al;ready the best fighting game i've never played lol.

I'll defo make off with it

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I'll rob it if you don't Dreddy.

Xinkai wrote: »
    I have it ordered from ebay set me back 90 quid total should be here by wednesday. I MIGHT bring it to SF4R3 depending if i can trust people enough not to make off with it. But i heard it's a solid title, it's been getting great reviews & was even tipped by alot of SF vets that it might just be the SF4 beater. If it compares anywhere to GGXXAC+ then it's al;ready the best fighting game i've never played lol.

Were you the guy who bought the limited edition PS3 version from JPS-Mart?

Xinkai wrote: »
    I MIGHT bring it to SF4R3 depending if i can trust people enough not to make off with it.

Yes, I'll nick it, thanks. I've got around 5 tournament edition fightsticks and 10 standard edition fightsticks here so I wouldn't mind trying Blazblue with a stick.

@Azza: you must've gotten a dodgy fightstick. 3rd column of buttons aren't very responsive. Ah, nevermind, I suppose I could just get the buttons from one of the other fightsticks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Any recommendations on where to import it from?

eBay is prob your safest bet.
    The DVD in the limited ed. is region-free, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Any recommendations on where to import it from?

Movietyme is good for imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Ok, Not bringing it. It just arrived BTW YAY!!! Sorry but this set me back 90 quid so messing or not im not trusting anyone after those comments. I'll buy T6, just cause it's tekken. And i played KoFXII already... it's terrible... like POWERGLOVE terrible...

• Advertisement

No worries, I'll take your shoes instead.

Advertisement