Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not my pad - I can't play

Options
  • 12-07-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

This just entered my head because I was reading about the Xeon Gaming Pro Evo / FIFA leagues where players can choose what console to play their league match on (i.e. a home and away system).

There seems to be quite a few people who just can't adapt or play with a different pad. I don't know if it's an excuse or what so that's why I'm asking here. Ok, there are certain differences but play one or two games and you're away - the button command layouts are still the same (i.e. bottom of diamond = pass).

Maybe I don't get it because I played PC for about 20 years (will stick with the soccer example) so for me: A = cross, S = pass, D = shoot, W = through ball. Switched from FIFA to Pro Evo but kept controls the same (so altered Pro Evo's shoot button to what cross is).

Then got a PS2. Kept my controls the same but rather than my left hand controlling what players did. My right thumb did.

Then got an Xbox...And still playing football games.

Now I don't claim to be a high level player but I don't quite get how a stick an inch out of place or a slightly different hand position can reduce people to giving up. They have beaten themselves before they've even started.

So, are you one of these people and why? Do you understand? Or do you know people like this and look at them in a bemused manner (as I do) when they admit defeat before even touching a pad?

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It's mainly loser's talk, as long as both players are using the same controllers. For instance, the green Xbox 360 has a more precise d-pad than the original and old white controllers. A player would have a case in that instance, but if both players are playing with a pad with no advantage over the other, then it's loser's talk, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't forget that they have a completely different feel to them, too.

For a similar analogy: I can play just Street Fighter just fine on a Korean or Jap Seimitsu stick (stiff), but put me on a Jap Sanwa JLF (loose), and I get all sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

To be honest, I would understand SF a little more (just a tad) - more so for the stiff vs loose stick as you have said. But if someone is playing PS3 pad v XBox pad, shouldn't it be somewhat similar - a little adjustment...but still manageable. Rather than affecting your game on the magnitude that I have outlined.

I know they have a different feel and shape but after one or two games, you won't even notice....right?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I know they have a different feel and shape but after one or two games, you won't even notice....right?

the analogues on the 360 controller are a lot better than those on the PS3. Not only for resistance and sensitivity but also design and placement. If I played a FPS on the 360 I would not be happy to settle for using the PS3 controller.

For casual play sure, It's being a little pedantic. But for tournaments I can understand the objection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If a game is out for the PC/360/PS3 then it makes sense to run the competition on the PC as the controllers for the other 2 will work on it. Obviously for FPS it wouldn't work out too well for the console players but for games like PES/FIFA it would work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Honestly, put me on any controller than an Xbox controller, and it would be like watching my Mam play. I just don't have an instinct for the PS controller any more. I can get a feel for it as the game goes on, but it doesn't come naturally to me at all and I find my hands tend to get crampy and uncomfortable a lot quicker.

Which is grand for casual play, I'll have the luxury of tooling around falling off ledges and firing like a blind drunkard while I get the hang of it again, but for competitive gaming I can see why it might bother somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the analog stick placement on ps controllers is terrible imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The old controller was ahead of it's time, back in ye olden days, but yeah, get with the times Sony.

whats it like playing fps's on pc with a 360 controller anybody? i mean with the added precision does it cause problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

indough wrote: »
    whats it like playing fps's on pc with a 360 controller anybody? i mean with the added precision does it cause problems?

LOL, pc gamers use keyboard and mouse for extra precision, controlling two axis with your thumbs can never be as precise as a swift move of the mouse.

• Advertisement

i know that on consoles the games are programmed so that you dont have to be as precise, what im asking is how hard is it to get a fair degree of accuracy with a controller on pc

indough wrote: »
    i know that on consoles the games are programmed so that you dont have to be as precise, what im asking is how hard is it to get a fair degree of accuracy with a controller on pc

Not hard. Crysis has native 360 controller support. So I had it running on my HTPC and tried it out. It wasn't that bad actually. I've played a few console fps's so I'm already used to it. It controlled fine, aiming wasn't an issue. It's the same as Killzone 2 or Resistance 2.

This was in the single player campaign mind, I'd get destroyed online without a kb/m.

thanks for the info, yeah im more concerned with sp campaigns at the monent, i wouldnt bother playing with one online though either

i need a controller to get my fix of racing, gta etc anyway, just trying to find one in a store that doesnt cost a bomb is causing me stress...im gonna go for wired anyway id say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I can quickly adapt to new controllers, So when I'm at a friends house and i get the cheap controller thrown at me with all the extra buttons and funny shape...I beat them and show them its not the controller that makes you better at the game :D

the controller does matter though, obviously the person with more experience with one system is at an advantage to the person without any

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I beat them and show them its not the controller that makes you better at the game :D

epeen +1 :D

Also what are you playing on that you are given controllers with different shapes and extra buttons? :confused: what are they making you play fight games or something with the light gun from time crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Well, I'm not really bothered playing racing games with either pad and I mainly play simulators in particular. I use the triggers and left analogue stick for steering. The SIXAXIS sticks feel heavier in comparison but I agree with you, it would at most take 5 laps or 2 or 3 matches.

I think it depends on the type of game. I mean, I can play SF on an XB pad but I can't on a PS3 pad because of the d-pad. I think its much more difficult to switch from a wheel to a pad which took me ages, same way as some people can't play fighting games properly on a pad because they use a stick.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

There is a difference, but it depends on the genre and the controllers. Given time anyone can get up to speed on each but there always going have a preference.

Also playing Fifa on PC wouldn't work as the game is very different to the 2 console versions where as PES is the same on all formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    So, are you one of these people and why? Do you understand? Or do you know people like this and look at them in a bemused manner (as I do) when they admit defeat before even touching a pad?

Its about muscle memory. Its always has been and always will be. When your good enough to know the exact amount of pressure on the joystick combined at the perfect time to press the button to get it on queue every time, you notice the change when the external factors are modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    epeen +1 :D

Also what are you playing on that you are given controllers with different shapes and extra buttons? :confused: what are they making you play fight games or something with the light gun from time crisis?

There are loads of them I've seen, Madcatz do loads of weird shaped ones with turbo buttons added in, I remember one the white and black button on the old Xbox controller was on the wrong side of the controller.

There are a few variations of the light gun, I got one that was made of metal and had recoil like the light gun, It was actually better than the official light gun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It defiantly can make a difference, If you've spent the last 10 years playing pro evo with the D-pad on a playstaion controller it feels like your playing a different game on the xbox.

Advertisement