Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Bord Snip Nua to target education

• 12-07-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

According to the Sunday Business Post, among the targets for proposed cuts by An Bord Snip Nua are educational institutions, up to and including third level.

Just how much can they cut from Primary and Second level education? While I don't have first-hand experience of 1st and 2nd level, how can they seriously contemplate further cuts?

Article here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Considering they cut special needs provisions all through the 'celtic tiger' years I can't see what much more is left to snip. They have taken from the weakest kids, the kids with least advantage and the schools that battle against cherry-picking neighbours.

I suppose in theory they could take the privately owned 'voluntary sector' out of Church ownership and amalgamate them within VECs, but I can't see that being a big vote grabber among the Irish Independent readers.

I taught 'remedial' children in the 1980s in classes of no bigger than 12-15 with extra help in reading where needed. Now they're in groups of 26, alongside kids of much higher ability and get a couple of hours a week extra help if they're lucky. Progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

I am assuming they mean the re-introduction of fees through the student loan scheme. Technically that would count as a cut.

AT first and second level I would imagine that the following might be on the agenda( I don't necesssarily agree with cuts regarding any of the below but.....):

Special Needs Assistants

Inservice

Redeployment

Voluntary redundancy/ Early retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Perhaps another rise in the pupil teacher ratio. I left primary school in 1991 and there were 38 in my 6th class. The other two 6th classes had similar numbers. Lowest numbers in any class in the school was about 30.

Teaching now, I can't imagine what it must be like to have that many children in one class and to be able to give them all time.

Advertisement