Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rights after buying a second hand car

• 12-07-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Recently bought a 99 Ford Focus from a Ford Dealer in Dundalk. After a week, I noticed the pressure plates in the clutch were about to go. Then a few days later, oil started leaking from the power steering pump & the car is now non driveable! As this has all happened within two weeks of me buying the car, I am wondering if I have any comeback with this garage? At present they are advertising a "Two year extended warranty on Used Cars", But at the time of buying, the salesman didnt mention a warranty. Its going to cost upwards of a thousand euro to be fixed, after me paying how much for it only 2weeks ago! Also the salesman said it had only passed the NCT that morning?, so surely if it passed the NCT, these problems shouldnt be happening a week or two after?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Did they not give you a warrenty book with the car, i would be very surprised is a ford main dealer sold it without some sort of warrenty, NCT only checks certain things, they will pass a oil leak as long as its not dripping when there doing the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

beam99 wrote: »
    Did they not give you a warrenty book with the car, i would be very surprised is a ford main dealer sold it without some sort of warrenty, NCT only checks certain things, they will pass a oil leak as long as its not dripping when there doing the test

I'd be surprised if they gave any sort of warranty on a 10 year old car being honest. Was it marked "sold as seen"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

tell the dealer that this should be covered under warranty. if they deny warranty get them to give you a written quote for the repairs then photocopy them park the car outside the dealer with a big coulorfull sign in all the windows showing your purchase receipt and the written quote for the repairs and asking ppl if they think this is a reputable thing to do. and in the meantime consult with citizens advice, a solicitor and advertising standards about a: your consumer rights b: your couse of action c: the advetisement stating warranty on ALL used cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Neithr the clutch nor the PS pump are tested in the NCT. What did the garage say when you brought the car back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fried Chicken

He didnt mention anything about a warranty, thats why Im under the impression I dont have one, but still! Consumer rights and all that! The car clearly wasnt fit for the purpose intended if it breaks down after 2weeks!

Im thinking about filing a claim wit the small claims court to see what they have to say..
    The car wasnt marked as 'sold as seen'. He told me at the time, as the car was at 86k I think, that the timing belt would need to be done soon, but that was it! Kept saying that the car was 100% and he wouldnt try to 'do me over'.

I really dont know what to do tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

clutch won't be covered anyway, its a wear and tear item. Most garages wont cover it on a 1 year old car, let alone a 10 year old car. They could just claim that you burned it out. If they do it, it'll be as a goodwill gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

If the car was Tagged as "Trade in - No warranty" then your out of hope it'll count as a sold as seen car it may not have fallen into their list of used cars offering warranty, it'd be no dif than buying a car private off a complete stranger.

But as you said the 2 year is advertised at that point, key point there is does it say "ALL" used cars?? Best thing to do is go back to them & seek your warranty, if that fails then as you said you can go to smalls claims that will only cost ya €15 up the a max of €2000 claim sure

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dmcar02

I was looking into buying a Mondeo there recently, it was a 2003 one.

Pat told me that he'd only give a 2 year warranty on anything up to about 3 years old. He offered me a year no hassle warranty on the Mondeo.

They're a decent enough bunch, go in and talk to them, or have you been in with them?

Keep us posted.

Surely you should at least get a 3 month warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

He didnt mention anything about a warranty, thats why Im under the impression I dont have one, but still! Consumer rights and all that! The car clearly wasnt fit for the purpose intended if it breaks down after 2weeks!

Im thinking about filing a claim wit the small claims court to see what they have to say..
    The car wasnt marked as 'sold as seen'. He told me at the time, as the car was at 86k I think, that the timing belt would need to be done soon, but that was it! Kept saying that the car was 100% and he wouldnt try to 'do me over'.

I really dont know what to do tbh!

Why you dont you ask the garage before you start on about filing claims. YOu have not mentioned talking to the garage as yet.

let us know what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Recently bought a 99 Ford Focus from a Ford Dealer in Dundalk. After a week, I noticed the pressure plates in the clutch were about to go. Then a few days later, oil started leaking from the power steering pump & the car is now non driveable! As this has all happened within two weeks of me buying the car, I am wondering if I have any comeback with this garage? At present they are advertising a "Two year extended warranty on Used Cars", But at the time of buying, the salesman didnt mention a warranty. Its going to cost upwards of a thousand euro to be fixed, after me paying how much for it only 2weeks ago! Also the salesman said it had only passed the NCT that morning?, so surely if it passed the NCT, these problems shouldnt be happening a week or two after?
    contact
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

• Advertisement

I spoke to them when the clutch went and he said there was nothing he could do about that, at most he could get the part in at cost price. Haven't rang him again regarding the steering pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

There is no such thing as sold as seen anymore, unless you are a trader yourself. Consumers have rights whether they were told there is a warranty or not. I would be fairly sure they will fix it or offer you your money back. You could ask how much it would cost for them to do a timing belt while they are at it. At least that way if they are fixing the clutch and oil leak they are getting some money from you for the timing belt.

You can also go to the SIMI for advise and they will help you and write to the dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

as mentioned before the clutch would not be covered in warranty - even brand new cars of the factory floor don't get that !

if the dealer claimed that it was 100% then it would be up to him to keep it at 100% at the time of sale but if he didn't its misrepresentation and you do have consumer rights for that.

Good Luck !

It seemed 100% at the time, until a couple of days later I noticed the clutch was going. Gonna get back onto them in the morning to see what the story is! Thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Without a goodwill gesture from the dealer I think you have little choice, as the car was ok when you bought it. Pay for it yourself or go the legal route.

Advertisement