Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Price Plans

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:27pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks I am currently with o2 and would prefer not to move networks. My old price plan was €20 a month for unlimited texts but over the last few months that seems to have gone sky high at €85 over the last few months. How? Christ only knows! But anyway they told me I spend about 40-50mins on the phone a month and 1,000 texts a month (big texter!).

Offered me a rolling price plan at €50 a month unlimited texts and 350 mins free calls plus €7.50 a month for a data add on. Took the offer and was thinking yesterday that perhaps €600+ a year is daft for running a mobile but they dont seem to have any decent price plans that would cover my texts unless I moved back to prepay (I prefer billpay and was always looking to move).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was on the same plan as you Sully. I switched to Vodafone prepay. €20 / month gives me unlimited texts, 19c/MB internet (ISP APN) and whatever calls the €20 can muster for me. (that's 50 mins or 100MB or a mix of both)

Billpay is simply not an option for heavy texters unless you're heavy on the calls too - which you don't seem to be.

I can't really suggest any O2 price plans (I'm assuming you don't just call / text O2). Their prepay will cost you a fair whack too if you use data each day that's €30/month just on data.

+ edit
    I should add I also get 99c/50MB/daily internet (Live APN) while roaming :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im a big fan of o2 and I feel they offer a lot. Vodafone is a pricey network but may just offer me something better, but id prefer not to move but I will if need be. I'm not a huge caller, big texter. Trying to keep costs low. o2 had perfect price plans but none included unlimited texts so it ruled out the packages. Plus 1c per kb was made so adding the data package seemed like my only option.

Iv no idea how I clocked up such an expensive top up over the last few months but I would be a frequent user of data.

Bilpay is much handier and it seems that 20euro never really covers me. o2 prepay broadband at 1euro per day (50mb max IIRC?) is decent but probably a contributing factor.

I've always been an O2 fan. I've always loved them. I've loved their customer care, the way they could get things done (when pushed).

But the way things are now ... I'm sitting back and wondering why? I know what can and can't be done by a mobile operator (generally speaking). I'm gonna go with the one that leaves the smallest dent in my pocket while offering the best price / services.

This is why I'm now with Vodafone prepay. I'm gonna give it time and see how it goes but it brings my minimum monthly committment down to ZERO (if I chose) compared to O2 which would be €50 (O2 Clear 350 with "free" unlimited texts addon) + €7.50 (250MB data of which I'd only use about 100MB anyway). I found myself paying for loads of extra minutes I don't need for free unlimited texts. A false economy perhaps ..

Also I don't find myself paying extra for calls to 1850 / 1890 etc (we don't always have the time to look up the 01 alternative).

So what benefits does O2 billpay really give me? Spend alerts? I shouldn't need them if it wasn't so dam expensive. O2 forum? That's gone down hill a lot lately with threads being missed etc. I've achieved as much emailing Vodafone (who now also have a forum!).

"Loyalty" to one network or another these days is foolish. It's about paying as little as possible for the service you want - IMO.

Get O2 to give you a breakdown of your usage for the last couple of months and see what it tells you. Also tell us what your bill prices were and what plans / addons you've been on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm going to get blasted for this as usual but Sully I reckon best of both would suit you down to the ground. Free texts to all networks and 100 any network minutes all capped at €25, you "can't" get a big bill. Worst case scenario it'll cost you an extra 9.99pm if you want the 1gb data add on.

You've 7days to get out of the price plan o2 just put you on, if you don't your tied in for 18mts if it's the €50pm deal. You've just been jockeyed by a nice girl in limerick, i'd get over the whole I love o2 thing. It's just a phone company.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm going to get blasted for this as usual but Sully I reckon best of both would suit you down to the ground. Free texts to all networks and 100 any network minutes all capped at €25, you "can't" get a big bill. Worst case scenario it'll cost you an extra 9.99pm if you want the 1gb data add on.

Link?
    You've 7days to get out of the price plan o2 just put you on, if you don't your tied in for 18mts if it's the €50pm deal. You've just been jockeyed by a nice girl in limerick, i'd get over the whole I love o2 thing. It's just a phone company.

30 day rolling contract. Actually discussed it in depth with several people from o2 and I see their point about it being the best package, but im not happy dishing out 600 a year on my mobile bills.

Iv liked o2 as iv been with them for as long as I can remember, felt their Customer Care as second to none (I had a Meteor phone once, in addition, which was terrible). Voda are excellent also but very expensive imo.

• Advertisement

Sully signed up to the 30 day O2 Clear 350 from what I can here so time isn't a huge issue.

I would agree with you in terms of the pricing drunkmonkey. Looked at 3 long and hard and they really looked to have the pricing. The reasons I didn't go with them in the end though:
    - Their customer care is incompetent. Yes, I know I said above that it's not the be all and end all but in my experience 3 are incapable of understanding you on the most basic level.
    - Their roaming is a disaster. I've been away many times and I've seen many 3 problems which just aren't worth the effort for me at all.
    - I'm sure there was other stuff... but these 2 things really weighed my decision against them so much so that you would not believe.

Three is out of the question. Sorry but not after the storys I read on Boards.

Meteor billpay Lite @ €10 / month may be another option for you with one of Meteors data addons but you'll have to pay for texts to non-Meteor customers or else grab an addon. i reckon possibly still better than the O2 offering though.

BPL 10 - http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/latest_offers/billpay_lite/
    Data Addon - http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/add_ons/data_add_ons/

We've both the same phone Sully, there's very little difference only I get a little more out of my phone, I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.....

We've both the same phone Sully, there's very little difference only I get a little more out of my phone, I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.....

A very large thread full of lots and losts of people complaining? Ya, im sure the margin of error is that big! :p
    Random wrote: »
    Meteor billpay Lite @ €10 / month may be another option for you with one of Meteors data addons but you'll have to pay for texts to non-Meteor customers or else grab an addon. i reckon possibly still better than the O2 offering though.

BPL 10 - http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/latest_offers/billpay_lite/
    Data Addon - http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/add_ons/data_add_ons/

After my last experience with Meteor, ill be avoiding them.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    A very large thread full of lots and losts of people complaining? Ya, im sure the margin of error is that big! :p

you not looking for mobile broadband, and there's no where near 120,000 posts in the mega thread so there not all unhappy:p

It's defnatley the best price plan for you, I wouldn't let the mega thread influence your decision. It's nothing got to do with there phone service.

call 1913 for free, chat to them for a minute and see is it as unberable as "some" make out...

I called Meteor the other day got through to an Indian, called vodafone got through to an african and the same with o2. People say you can't understand 3 as there from pakastan, says a lot about the type of people posting on the mega thread...

at the end of the day it boils down to who gives you the best bang for your buck, unfourtnatley for you it happens to be 3:D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

you not looking for mobile broadband, and there's no where near 120,000 posts in the mega thread so there not all unhappy:p

It's defnatley the best price plan for you, I wouldn't let the mega thread influence your decision. It's nothing got to do with there phone service.

call 1913 for free, chat to them for a minute and see is it as unberable as "some" make out...

I called Meteor the other day got through to an Indian, called vodafone got through to an african and the same with o2. People say you can't understand 3 as there from pakastan, says a lot about the type of people posting on the mega thread...

at the end of the day it boils down to who gives you the best bang for your buck, unfourtnatley for you it happens to be 3:D

I agree with you, I ported over to 3pay a month ago and have not had a reason to call them yet, everything is fine so far, apart from skype being a bit flaky. It is not always able to connect.

The 1GB add on is the main reason that I moved, €9.99 a month is good value. So combined with cabbage and skypeout (when it connects) my bill is greatly reduced, I spent about 20 mins to a friend on his mobile in the states for less than 40c.
    I would only get mobile broadband (midband) from them as a last resort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Moved from o2 to three a while ago, having serious regrets. They are cheaper but you pay for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

For €600 a year you would want to be getting a phone out of them.

Bond-007 wrote: »

I could have, but I opted out (meant a long term contract and my phone is the E71 looking to get E72 when released)

Bond-007 wrote: »

that's €600 a year before you call your voicemail, use the interent, send a picture message, call NI or the UK and not even a free phone, tis a bargin alright....
    granted with 3 you might drop the odd call when you driving but i'm glad the savings are going into my pocket and not elvis tribute bands...

i'm glad the savings are going into my pocket and not elvis tribute bands...
    Indeed. :D

I always found the big O to be very poor value for phone calls.

here's another one..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61115399#post61115399

Our education system is in ruins...:)

here's another one..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61115399#post61115399

Our education system is in ruins...:)

You seem to be either their biggest fan or a shill :)

You seem to be either their biggest fan or a shill :)

there's that shiil word again, i'm not, I just don't agree it's as bad as some boardies...:rolleyes:

516330368.png

• Advertisement

there's that shiil word again, i'm not, I just don't agree it's as bad as some boardies...:rolleyes:

516330368.png

I assume you have been accused before then? Wasn't aware, just assumed it because of the way you don't like a bad word being said about them and are usually quick to defend or promote their services. Even when defending yourself (like above). Kinda the behaviour of a shill or someone who will gain from more people using the network. :)

Anywhome.. I will actually look at Three's offer and others later. Ill decide then whats best for me - including maybe moving back to prepay.

Im a big fan of o2 and I feel they offer a lot. .
    Random wrote: »
    I've always been an O2 fan. I've always loved them. .
    I assume you have been accused before then?

Anywhome.. I will actually look at Three's offer and others later. Ill decide then whats best for me - including maybe moving back to prepay.

lol, and i'm the Shill:D

I Just know a little bit about them, harldy a crime...

Your smart enough to make your own decisions Sully, you'll harldly be going on what I say...;)

Ya but the difference is neither me nor random plug them frequently and defend their actions and rubbish peoples complaints - all while showing us your 3 broadband internet speed :p (randoms on vodafone anyway)

Decession time approaches.. *ponders*

meteor ftw!!!:)

Jesus, what are you being paid? First three now Meteor!

Maybe its time I swtiched jobs. o_O

Honestly though, excluding three for a moment, what would your advise be?

Pre Pay is probably the best option, €20pm would nearly cover you for all your calls and texts, it's a toss up between o2 and Meteor, if you want to stay bill that best of both is a good fit...
    Much as it pains me i'd probaly say o2 pay as you go (better 3G coverage than meteor) with the 99cent data cap..

Why not Voda? Or Tesco? :P

Vodafone don't have an offer to suit you and tesco is very hard to get credit for...
    Vodafone could be worth a look if you were going to be making a lot more calls, lots of my mates are on voda, if I wasn't with the other feckers i'd probably be on vodafone...i'm x o2 btw, still have my modem with them..

Tesco is also a pain if anything goes wrong. I couldn't get an ongoing issue resolved. I ended up porting away from them.

• Advertisement

drunkmoney, why not Vodafone prepay? How does it not do the job?

Advertisement