Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Price Plans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have to agree with Drunkmonkey here. For low cost calls or texting 3 is miles ahead of the pack. Have been with them for 2 yrs and no complaints. Have been to UK a couple of times recently and got their "3 like Home" tarriff no problem. Spent over 40 mins on phone and no roaming or rip-off calling rates. All in all excellent value.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have to agree with Drunkmonkey here. For low cost calls or texting 3 is miles ahead of the pack. Have been with them for 2 yrs and no complaints. Have been to UK a couple of times recently and got their "3 like Home" tarriff no problem. Spent over 40 mins on phone and no roaming or rip-off calling rates. All in all excellent value.

One of the lucky few? Seems an awful lot of people unhappy with Three which has me doubting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Everyone has horror storys about everyone. In my experience you can always get to someone in O2, Meteor, Vodafone (in that order) that can get something done. In 3 it's just hopeless.

Test them yourself. Ring them up, ask them some questions, get some advice on what plan is best for you. See if the information they provide is accurate, timely, decent!

Then get yourself a prepay SIM on another network and try porting it to 3. See how the process goes. Ask some more questions. See how things are.

Personally though it's gonna take a lot to make me go with them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well, I think Three seems to be leading that pack.

Of course their sales line is going to be good - any sales line would be good! Not exactly the right way to test..

If you have a bad experience on the sales line though with inability to answer questions or make a recommendation then it will definitely turn you away though. Will help you make up your mind. It'll rule 3 out for you or leave them as a contender possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Or Sully you could go to your nearest 3 outlet and bypass india, now you can call me a shill for promoting irish jobs...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can never avoid India. ;)

tell me about it i've a dell...

could at least keep the sale in the country though;), I really don't want sully to go with them, any problems and he'll have my head on a block:o

Random wrote: »
    I was on the same plan as you Sully. I switched to Vodafone prepay. €20 / month gives me unlimited texts, 19c/MB internet (ISP APN) and whatever calls the €20 can muster for me. (that's 50 mins or 100MB or a mix of both)

Billpay is simply not an option for heavy texters unless you're heavy on the calls too - which you don't seem to be.

I can't really suggest any O2 price plans (I'm assuming you don't just call / text O2). Their prepay will cost you a fair whack too if you use data each day that's €30/month just on data.

+ edit
    I should add I also get 99c/50MB/daily internet (Live APN) while roaming :)

I dont see any Vodafone option which gives me unlimited texts to any network. It would be to costly to pay for texts to other networks.
    Random wrote: »
    Meteor billpay Lite @ €10 / month may be another option for you with one of Meteors data addons but you'll have to pay for texts to non-Meteor customers or else grab an addon. i reckon possibly still better than the O2 offering though.

BPL 10 - http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/latest_offers/billpay_lite/
    Data Addon - http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/add_ons/data_add_ons/

Same issue with Vodafone applies here.
    I'm going to get blasted for this as usual but Sully I reckon best of both would suit you down to the ground. Free texts to all networks and 100 any network minutes all capped at €25, you "can't" get a big bill. Worst case scenario it'll cost you an extra 9.99pm if you want the 1gb data add on.

You've 7days to get out of the price plan o2 just put you on, if you don't your tied in for 18mts if it's the €50pm deal. You've just been jockeyed by a nice girl in limerick, i'd get over the whole I love o2 thing. It's just a phone company.

I dont see this plan either :/

Seems like o2 only offer any network texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Sully, these are the plans being referred to:

3 Best of Both

Vodafone Advantage Plus
    Vodafone wrote:
    You can choose between Free Calls and Texts for life or Free Texts to any network for life

Meteor also do free any network texts on prepay.

My advice based on personal experience is to stay away from Meteor. Especially if you're used to O2's customer service. You get what you pay for. I can't speak for Vodafone or 3 since I've never used them, but I never had a problem with Digifone/O2. I switched to Meteor for 2 or 3 years during which I had nothing but problems. I moved back to O2 last year and it's the best decision I could've made - not a single problem since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I dont see any Vodafone option which gives me unlimited texts to any network. It would be to costly to pay for texts to other networks.

Use your 300 webtexts via Cabbage or the like for non Voda texts and send Voda texts directly from the phone.

Am i missing something reading this on the mobile theme?

Vodafone prepby have the same offer as meteor and o2 - €20/month unlimited any network texts.

With vodafone you need to pop into the store or call care to activate it. They default to the free vodafone calls and vodafone texts.

Voda seem to offer the same plan as o2 but o2 is 9c cheaper to make a call per min.

Meteor - I text the number on their new adverts and got a text promising a call within 24hours. So, that can be my first judge to see how quickly their sales team call me :p

I like 3s offer - free messenger and skype is good.

Sully wrote: »
    Meteor - I text the number on their new adverts and got a text promising a call within 24hours. So, that can be my first judge to see how quickly their sales team call me :p

Still waiting on the call :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rahanpob

Here's a interesting one! Friend of mine has his Iphone. He changed from Vodafone to O2 just to get the iphone. His package includes for 350mins free minutes to any network per month, 300/350 free text messges per month, but here is the kicker UNLIMITED data bundle.

My current mobile price plan is includes all of the above , however I only have 2Mb of a data package (its with Vodafone).
    Question: Am I getting short changed by Vodafone or I am I missing something obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

rahanpob, you mean you have 2gig with vodafone surely? plenty for mobile web surfing - apparently o2's "unlimited" data plan with the iPhone is actually 3gigs in their TOC.

Intersting to see if my namesake went with 3 in the end?

Im looking at switching too - best offer is 3's best of both for €25 with 1gig data add on at €10

however vodafone now have a decent "double minutes and text" offer for new customers. 350mins & 350 txts + 2gig data for €50 / month.

€15 more than 3 for probably peace of mind and reliability. I went into three store yesterday and couldn't get my android browser working on their network (g-chat worked fine funnily enough)

o2 are ripping me off I feel - €7.50 for 250mb?? PFFFfffffft!! cant really fault the network though.

decisions decisions. If Vodafone are getting the Nexus one its a no brainer for me and I'll jump on that offer!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm considering a switch from O2 to Vodafone.

SIM only 30 day "Simply" contract.

€20 a month for 100 mins + 100 texts + FREE Vodafone/Vodafone Calls and Texts any time
    €10 for 1GB of Data

So €30 a month and no contract tie in.

oooh that sounds tempting too spockety - would save me €180 over the year (provided I didn't go over my allowcation!) and no contract :)

must head to a vodafone store this eve didn't see that offer on their site

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Here's the link

http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/current/simply/

Maybe I've missed something, but it looks pretty straight forward to me?

yeah found it in the end thanks :)

the only thing I might be wary of is it specifically says "Text add ons are available on Perfect Choice price plans"

I would look at the simply 100 for €20 +€10 for data add on - then i'd like to add another 150 texts for the €8 but dont know if you can. I'll find out today when I go to their shop! i'll prob come back with a 12 month contract at €45 for the access plus plan (which aint so bad but prob more than I really need!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

00sully wrote: »
    yeah found it in the end thanks :)

the only thing I might be wary of is it specifically says "Text add ons are available on Perfect Choice price plans"

I would look at the simply 100 for €20 +€10 for data add on - then i'd like to add another 150 texts for the €8 but dont know if you can. I'll find out today when I go to their shop! i'll prob come back with a 12 month contract at €45 for the access plus plan (which aint so bad but prob more than I really need!)

Don't use it myself, but when visiting www.vodafone.ie/myv and logging in with my Simply account, I am offered the option to buy the text add-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

If i were to go for the 3 best of both at 25,if i wanted the 1gb internet add on is that taken from the 25 or would my payment total be 35

that would be €35 on three. I was looking at that plan in depth going as far to the three store to test the data connection (couldn't browse with android) so I've put vodafone as my probably choice. Coupled that my friend just text me with a new vodafone number as he sacked of three when he couldn't receive texts for a whole WEEK!!

Vodafone simply €20 - 100mins/txts + €10 for 1gig data.

ronano, what phone do you have or are you looking at getting one aswell?

[edit] haha now IM the idiot - you have the G1 as per other thread! bewary of three with the G1 or any android device - try before you commit! [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

really? are there problems with 3 and android? i have 3pay at the moment and i was thinking of changing to best-of-both and buying a hero.

yes there is. I went to the shop to try it out with my acer liquid (running donut) and I could not browse the web with the stock browser. the gChat app worked fine however and the phone said I was on the 3g/HSDPA network. email couldn't connect either. It's a known issue with 3 and android. best off waiting until they release an android phone tbh - altho some people have reported success!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055446423

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794385

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

This plan from o2 advanace 150+2gb appears good value depending on your needs
    http://www.o2online.ie/shop/plans/

Price plan
    O2 Advance 150 + 2GB Data
    Monthly charge....€40.00
    Inc. Minutes....150
    Inc. Texts....100

O2 Advance 150 + 2GB Data Other Charges

* Data Included 2GB
    * MMS included 10
    * Voicemail Free
    * Additional Calls 20c
    * Additional Text 10c

* Additional Extra Free O2 talk & text
    * Text to other Irish networks 10c
    * Text to international numbers 25c
    * Additional MMS 25c

Vodafone have a similar offer: http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/current/pcaccessplus/

Perfect Choice Access Plus 150
    Monthly cost...€45
    Any network minutes...150
    Any network texts...150
    Data bundle ...2GB
    Out of bundle mins...30c
    Out of bundle texts...11c

Which of these is better for andoid devices?
    Does o2 have the better coverage because of edge?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

spockety wrote: »
    I'm considering a switch from O2 to Vodafone.

SIM only 30 day "Simply" contract.

€20 a month for 100 mins + 100 texts + FREE Vodafone/Vodafone Calls and Texts any time
    €10 for 1GB of Data

So €30 a month and no contract tie in.

Don't forget that with that lovely data ad-on, you can use all your webtexts (vodafone give 600 now, yes?). So that brings you up to 700 texts for non voda numbers, and unlimited for the voda ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jojojnr

00sully wrote: »
    yes there is. I went to the shop to try it out with my acer liquid (running donut) and I could not browse the web with the stock browser. the gChat app worked fine however and the phone said I was on the 3g/HSDPA network. email couldn't connect either. It's a known issue with 3 and android. best off waiting until they release an android phone tbh - altho some people have reported success!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055446423

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794385

Acer Liquid? Interesting....what's it like. Have you used any other android phones that you could compare it to. Heard Carphone Warehouse got an exclusive deal on this...wondering how it compares to the Hero or even the new Legend and Desire

ronano wrote: »
    If i were to go for the 3 best of both at 25,if i wanted the 1gb internet add on is that taken from the 25 or would my payment total be 35

If you go sim only on best of both they'll knock it down to 20pm + 10pm for the add on, the minutes aren't straight minutes either, there flexi untis which can be used for internet if you don't have the 1GB add on.
    So for 20 euro you could have 50mb of internet and 50 minutes + the free texts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement