Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Progression' (on boards)

• 12-07-2009 12:39pm

So, for those of us (like me!) who started out photography here on boards, how far do you think you've come? How has your approach changed over the last while?

I just found the first image I posted here just over a year ago:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=56045&stc=1&d=1210774891

and for me, I would have to say that I would probably never have gotten as far into the subject as I am at the moment (doing my first 'client' shoot tomorrow) without the help and comments from the group here.

How about the rest of you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I was encouraged by KJT to participate here about a year ago. It has been a great source of helpful ideas and witty conversation.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Personally I'd be a lot further behind without the good folks here. Even with the odd annoying fecker. Came here with a 36 euro film camera and no real clue what I was doing and now flying along :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Very happy with my progress and how much i have advanced in the amount of time i have been at it. Owe a huge thanks to many of the people here, not only for the advice and the help, but the constant inspiration.

Great forum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm still a newbie to photography - camera was a last Xmas present! Still haven't the kahunas to put up a pic for C&C but am enjoying the assignments.
    I enjoy looking at other peoples pics, especially some of the more established photographers. Sometimes I even say to myself - "I could do that!" I reckon I've come on a tonne since I started dabbling here.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I was apprehensive about joining a photography club as I found the idea of hanging out with a load of pros / seasoned enthusiasts daunting at first. I found that boards gave me the opportunity to dip my toe in and get friendly C & C on my images with the added anonymity of a forum. I am now a lot more confident and have improved leaps and bounds in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hah ! I remember that photo! I think i may have commented on it.
    good luck on the first pro gig.

boards is great in that we have complete beginners and real pros. so you get to feel like you can progress. I like the way its welcome to all sorts.

really I feel that progress has slowed the more equipment I have bought! I need to be more organised. Getting there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Without ye,..................I'm nothing ! ;)

I started last August with my 1st (2nd hand) D_SLR and I've progressed from being a total rookie to mmmmm.......maybe advanced intermediate (amateur)......and many thanks for the feedback, comments, helpful advice and C&C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Learned lots from reading c&c's, general discussions, and seeing the constant stream of diverse work. As a result of the energised photography motive I've gotten a lot more fresh air and exercise, learned to breathe, and see, and wait, widened my social circle, and really enjoyed it all. If one thing marks the progression it's that new lenses now beat new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Yep, i started here on boards also...

Im still pap! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

120511036_edcd2e1b1d_m.jpg
    compact hand held

173738422_c5f9febab7_m.jpg
    film

2754071621_f43e49a019_m.jpg
    SLR

long way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im getting there once the recession dosnt take away my equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I started with my first SLR in April , one of the very first pics I took :D
    3500268829_11cb00e2f4_m.jpg

I just wanted a "good camera" for nice shots every now and then and for gigs the odd time....since coming to this board and getting to know a few posters Ive become pretty engrossed in photography. Despite not wanting to get too technical about it I find Im learning a hape load of stuff despite myself;) A boards user for a lot of years I have to say this board is by far my favorite...I've no doubt the best path for progression for me is probably right here...so ....Thanks y'all :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Still trying to work out which end to point away from me.

I have successfully learned not to point it directly at the big bright thing in the room with the high blue ceiling.

I call that progress.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

DeVore wrote: »
    I have successfully learned not to point it directly at the big bright thing in the room with the high blue ceiling.

I wouldn't mind one of those rooms, ah sure that's the joy of living in boards towers I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This:
    188190D29B214B57B8A175F182CC25FE-500.jpg

To this:
    B7B4B39585B144B08F0219263707E0EB-500.jpg
    4687876C9F064926A42BD316DE235237-500.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

DeVore wrote: »
    Still trying to work out which end to point away from me.

Just as well you never took up my main hobby:D

1C5C1F50BDC14F058D23AA002614C0CE-240.jpg

Advertisement