Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unbiased article?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im just wondering is there any unbiased articles out there about the Lisbon treaty, one that informs you of the genuine reasons you should vote either way.

Im trying to read the treaty, and while some of it is ok, some of it is tough going I have to admit.

Preferably an article that both a Yes voter and a No voter can vouch for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The Department of Foreign Affairs White Paper:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055615845

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yep, the Government must be unbiased in all Referenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It's possibly not worth finding an article which presents reasons to vote yes from a yes person, and reasons to vote no from a no person. The article will be unbiased by presenting both sets of reasons, but the reasons themselves will be completely biased.

A better idea might be to find a factual description of the treaty, and what it contains. You can then decide if the contents of the treaty merit a 'yes' or 'no' from you, based on your own opinion.

I have found the EU Lisbon Microsite very helpful.

http://europa.eu/lisbon_treaty/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

turgon wrote: »

A quote from it that already puts me off a bit...
    The EU needs the Lisbon Treaty, if it is to
    continue delivering peace and prosperity to
    Europe in the years ahead. Ireland has a vital
    interest in an effective Union and that is why this
    Treaty is so important for our future.

It's possibly not worth finding an article which presents reasons to vote yes from a yes person, and reasons to vote no from a no person. The article will be unbiased by presenting both sets of reasons, but the reasons themselves will be completely biased.

A better idea might be to find a factual description of the treaty, and what it contains. You can then decide if the contents of the treaty merit a 'yes' or 'no' from you, based on your own opinion.

I have found the EU Lisbon Microsite very helpful.

http://europa.eu/lisbon_treaty/index_en.htm

Again, thats from a site that would have an interest in promoting the yes side.
    Im just looking for a decent article that would give a very fair balanced view of it, that would point out the pros and cons of the treaty in how it will affect this country,and also i want to be able to pass on this article to other people for arguements purposes. Because there are some people out there that are going to cast their votes based on lies, and this counts for both sides.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

turgon wrote:
    This is as fair as you are going to get.
    The Government is banned under the constitution from promoting one side in a referendum so this document would have been passed by a group of solicitors to determine it's fairness.

then how on earth would they have gotten away with something like what i just quoted.

wylo wrote: »
    then how on earth would they have gotten away with something like what i just quoted.
    That's the EU's website, not ours.

Im a bit confused, I quoted that from the dfa.ie white paper I was linked to. I dont get how its an EU website. It just didnt seem as unbiased as I was hoping, I want this so I can refer to it for other people as well, and be able to say "look , heres an unbiased article." Because there are certain people I know that no matter what, they will not trust what politicians promoting it will have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

wylo wrote: »
    Im a bit confused, I quoted that from the dfa.ie white paper I was linked to. I dont get how its an EU website. It just didnt seem as unbiased as I was hoping, I want this so I can refer to it for other people as well, and be able to say "look , heres an unbiased article." Because there are certain people I know that no matter what, they will not trust what politicians promoting it will have to say.

I think they can get away with it due to the words "The government believes" a few paragraphs backs. That establishes what is written in that section as opinion rather than fact and it can be justified as a description of the governments stance on the Lisbon treaty, which fall under the scope of the white paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jabbertalky

The government has a duty to tell the Irish people the truth, which is we are being hood winked into giving up our independence and soon we are going to be run by the Germans and the French. The writing is on the wall people, time to stop talking about what is biased and not. Do the right thing in Oct and VOTE NO to Lisbon! We said it once, we'll say it again, NO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

This is a very large, chapter by chapter analysis of the Treaty by Europolitics, who are an independent European affairs analyst - a real one, rather than a Eurosceptic or Eurofederalist 'think tank' - and in the business since 1972. It's about 40 pages. It's relatively neutral - tends to simply say what a change means rather than commenting on whether it's a good or bad thing.
    This special issue of Europolitics constitutes an initial deciphering of the treaty.
    The most important innovations are identified and commented upon, with their legal references: our expert journalists have not approached the text as legal practitioners, but have carried out their usual job of clarification and explanation, in total independence.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The government has a duty to tell the Irish people the truth, which is we are being hood winked into giving up our independence and soon we are going to be run by the Germans and the French. The writing is on the wall people, time to stop talking about what is biased and not. Do the right thing in Oct and VOTE NO to Lisbon! We said it once, we'll say it again, NO!!
    Can't anyone else see the irony here ?
    You condem the Government for "hoodwinking people" [without providing evidence may I add] and then you tell people how they should vote.

Concerned for the future of the Human Race,
    Iwasfrozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Can't anyone else see the irony here ?
    You condem the Government for "hoodwinking people" [without providing evidence may I add] and then you tell people how they should vote.

Concerned for the future of the Human Race,
    Iwasfrozen.

Indeed. Calling for a No vote based on waffle about independence, and lies about a French/German dictated EU.

Imitating Scofflaw's sig,
    Daftendirekt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Scofflaw wrote: »
    This is a very large, chapter by chapter analysis of the Treaty by Europolitics

Thanks for that. I had to access the page twice though before they gave it to me, something to do with browser cookies I think.

Advertisement