Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear - linksys or ...?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Hiya

looking for experiened feedback here please

I live in an oldish house attic conversion so quite a few rooms and the phone line comes in at roof level. I'm looking for recommendation for best overall wireless/modem adsl router 'N' standard.

I've run a belkin and had nothing but trouble

I've been recommended either the Netgear Rangemax or the Linksys N+ dualband - range is my biggest issue.

I use it for business so don't mind paying extra if it's worth it but just wondered if anyone had any experience of these or recommendations of something better ?

Cheers

Andi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I like Buffalo for their powerfull hardware, the WZR-HP-G300NH has just come in stock on BroadbandBuyer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I know this is not much help to you but it really is impossible to predict the performance of wireless equipment in any given situation in advance. Also to get the best from the N standard all the equipment has to be of N standard. However to complicate things further N standard equipment is still under the draft format and hasnt been finalised yet. N standard equipment also gets very variable reviews.

Have you thought of using the plug option? Just an example:

http://netgear.co.uk/powerline_wallplugged_extenders.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

dub45 wrote: »
    I know this is not much help to you but it really is impossible to predict the performance of wireless equipment in any given situation in advance. Also to get the best from the N standard all the equipment has to be of N standard. However to complicate things further N standard equipment is still under the draft format and hasnt been finalised yet. N standard equipment also gets very variable reviews.

Have you thought of using the plug option? Just an example:

http://netgear.co.uk/powerline_wallplugged_extenders.php

Unfortunately not an option for me as the house is on three different electrical circuits

I also run a couple of Wireless Internet radios around the house & they are wireless only.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Andip wrote: »
    Unfortunately not an option for me as the house is on three different electrical circuits

I also run a couple of Wireless Internet radios around the house & they are wireless only.

I am not aware of any 'n' standard internet radios (thats not to say they do not exist) but if yours are 'g' then straight away they will negate the benefits of an 'n' standard router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 briantec

dont know if this helps but i got a linksys WAG160N. DISASTER. its going back tomorrow. looking for advice on a good one. i was looking at the belkin N1. is that the one you got troble with.
    ps is the linksys n+ not just a router with no modem

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    I am not aware of any 'n' standard internet radios (thats not to say they do not exist) but if yours are 'g' then straight away they will negate the benefits of an 'n' standard router.

The internet radios are 'g' but work with the 'n' router fine - but main purpose of the router is for laptop connection around the house & office.

Just need maximum coverage with reliability

briantec wrote: »
    dont know if this helps but i got a linksys WAG160N. DISASTER. its going back tomorrow. looking for advice on a good one. i was looking at the belkin N1. is that the one you got troble with.
    ps is the linksys n+ not just a router with no modem

I've been through two Belkin N1's - first one just died completely - the second one was fine for two weeks :rolleyes: then the wireless stopped broadcasting - the shop offered me a third or money back........ive dropped back to an old Netopia 'g' router at the moment but hence the need to find a decent 'n' replacement.

Advertisement