Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

NICE!!!!

:pac:.........G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Why was there a bright orange glow and a bright white glow? What are we looking at is it actually the tanks buning up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

That was EPIC!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

saw it in kilkenny

what was the yolk hangin from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

JUST SEEN THE SHUTTLE!

Seen THE FUEL TANKS FIRST!

LOOKED KINDA BLUE AND ORANGE and then the small shuttle goin pretty fast due north!

AMAZING SIGHT! :D:D:D

ONLY LASTED FOR A MINUTE tough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sinners19

Just seen it over Drimnagh! Sky was very clear! Me, my dad and sister Stood out on the roof to see it! Was great! Possibly once in a lifetime thing me thinks!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

just saw it in cork. First night in ages the sky's been completely clear. Amazing to see it so clearly, looked like it was flying so low too cos it's so bright.

So, how do you apply to be an astronaut? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

That was KICK ASS! :D

Got a lucky break in the clouds right at the last couple of minutes before it appeared and saw it! You could even make out the orange tint to the fuel tank as well. I've never seen it moving that fast before either, it passed over in about 2 minutes, though with it still being so low and not fully in orbit yet I guess it's only to be expected it would be moving pretty quickly. Over the moon (pardon the pun!) to have been able to seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads did someone mention that the ISS will be visible tonight also?

What time, etc.?

Cheers

23:42 max W-SE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'm not sure exactly what I saw, maybe the booster rockets seperation? but I seen two faint dots within 10 secs of eachother pass overhead from the SW at 23:15. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

For some lights in the sky that was pretty awesome.

Thanks guys for putting this up! Would have totally missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I just saw it too, was about to go back in when it appeared from behind a tree. Didn't think it would be that bright or fast. Really cool to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

yeah mattfender i saw it in leixlip too . . was really clear !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

that was the external fuel tank dannym08

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

YE ONCE IN A LIFETIME DEFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kavanaa1

WOW! That was class. Ran around my house trying to keep up with it. Man it was fast!!

What a special sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Got a great 15sec view of it over Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hope everyone got a good view!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Truly fantastic sight. Saw it pass halfway across the sky before cloud cover obscured it.

Reminds me of something Terry Pratchett said when he visited Trinity College.

He spoke of how we should be more in awe of streetlights then stars. Stars are just the natural process of fusion at incredible pressure, temperature at huge scale, but it happens essentially forever and has always happened.

Streetlights mean that a few million generations ago one cell became two, then 4 (etc etc) a few million generations later something crawled out of the primordial ooze, then later many millions later we came out of the trees. After thousands of years of social evolution and innovation someone thought to build tall pillars in the street and put lights in them. They are a testament to humanity rather than the natural processes.

Tonight is an extension of that. Awe at human invention,progression and innovation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

iss is die along these times

15 Jul -2.9 23:39:34
    16 Jul -1.1 01:15:09
    16 Jul -3.1 22:28:47

these might be chances to see the shuttle again if it has not docked, although it wont be as cool as that. never thought to bring binos out, next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Great view over Kells, could see bright white light and orangey yellow one too on binoculors. Moved VERY fast across the sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads did someone mention that the ISS will be visible tonight also?

What time, etc.?

Cheers

http://esa.heavens-above.com/esa/iss_step2.asp?Loc=Waterford&Lat=52.258&Lng=-7.112&TZ=GMT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

shuttle-1.jpgo

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Very clear in Ballycullen! Any pics or footage as yet?? Didnt manage to get a pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 troy1

Only saw it through the clouds for a few seconds but that was enough to amaze me. What a sight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

jumpguy wrote: »
    Beautiful view in Limerick! Watched it on binoculars all along. Caught it just at the point of EFT seperation. Beautiful red star, and in the binoculars I could see the 3 white rings of the shuttles engines. That was amazing! :D My neighbour was out looking at it too. The waiting was defo worth it, especially since it could be the last time I see that. Was visible until it entered shadow! :D

wow, thats is cool so you had a real view of it from up close!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Yeah initially I thought I saw something faint following it as well, a bit higher up and to the right...could have been the Russians ;)..Amazing sight though, still buzzing here. Like a lot of the other posters, I was amazed that you could clearly see the Orange of the fuel tank as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

now that was cool out. cloudy here in west clare, but still saw it through breaks in cloud

Advertisement