Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ntbok

Wow, that was amazing! I just saw the shuttle fly across the sky. It had 2 bright lights, one white and one slightly yellowish. Cool! :eek: It was really quick too, I wasn't expecting it to be so quick. It took only about a minute or less. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

iss is due along over the next few days and times

15 Jul -2.9 23:39:34
    16 Jul -1.1 01:15:09
    16 Jul -3.1 22:28:47

these might be chances to see the shuttle again if it has not docked, although it wont be as cool as that. never thought to bring binos out, next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads did someone mention that the ISS will be visible tonight also?
    ISS is making a pass at 11:40 heading West to ESE

If anyone has piccy's please post them, I was too busy ****ting myself and running around the place to get a better view in my bino's than to take a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

Passed through travelling very fast from west to east, south of here, (Dunshaughlin/ Ratoath) Great sight. Was watching the launch on Nasa TV, it all happened very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

efla wrote: »
    23:42 max W-SE

Obviously won't be as bright as that, but will we know if we see it? Like is it something you can't miss once the sky's clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

This thread is moving faster than the shuttle. :)

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Just popped out, can see just a speck in the Leixlip sky.

So pissed I missed this !!!

How clear was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

just saw it in Cork - got a not very good video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

From my position in the north east it took approx 20min from launch for the craft to come in view. The craft passed from West to east from very low in the southern sky. There was a distinct large and small light source. The small was possibly a haze. It took around 1min to pass out of sight.

It’s just a light in the sky but was fascinating!!! stood there with slack jawed smile:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Just passed the midlands around 10 minutes ago, I only got a few glimpses, the entire half of the sky was covered by a cloud.

I was NOT expecting it to be that fast! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

17,000 mph, 30 seconds from Dublin to Galway, I'd like to see Iarnrod Eireann beat that ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

deRanged wrote: »
    just saw it in Cork - got a not very good video.

Better than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Why was there a bright orange glow and a bright white glow? What are we looking at is it actually the tanks buning up?

No the tank wasn't burning up (yet); the white glow is the shuttle orbiter (it was upside down with the engines pointing forward when it passed over ireland, and the Tank glows orange because......It's painted orange!!

I noticed a tiny kinda white whiff come off with my binos (this was about 20 secs after EFT seperation). Anybody know what that might've been?

The tanks aren't PAINTED orange, the materials on it are naturally orange! (Being abit pedantic but it was painted white for the first few launchs of the shuttle, but they scrapped it to save weight).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

wellaway wrote: »
    grear launch, brilliant overhead traverse over Glasheen in Cork, bloody camera out of juice

i forgot to take out my camera , there i was looking at Saturn in the west , waiting , and bang there she comes over the horizon , i was in awe , such a beautiful sight , glad nearly eveyone in Ireland saw it .

iss passing in 3 mins , here we go again yeeeeeeeehaw :)

Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

jumpguy wrote: »
    quote]

does that mean we get to see somthing else?

i havent got a clue what you just said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Really impressed by what I saw tonight. Hope to catch some of the ISS now in the coming days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

mike65 wrote: »
    Better than mine.

thanks. have a second

I was completely caught out by how high in the sky it was. hence the blair witch wobble cam action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

MayoForSam wrote: »
    17,000 mph, 30 seconds from Dublin to Galway, I'd like to see Iarnrod Eireann beat that ;).
    Focking floooooored it.

saw perfect view of it here in bantry, epic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I managed to get this shocking poor pic. Combination of "blood hell thats fast", sh1t camera it point wrong direction and then couldn't reach for the remote release :(

3724352249_1e8f186e87.jpg

But it was cool as fook :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

ISS should be visible shortly

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Zirconia wrote: »
    No the tank wasn't burning up (yet); the white glow is the shuttle orbiter (it was upside down with the engines pointing forward when it passed over ireland, and the Tank glows orange because......It's painted orange!!
    At this stage were they seperated or why did there seem to be distance between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Watched it on NASA TV with the wife and kid, the hopped into the car and booted it down to the Currragh to watch it go over.

Oh man, what a site. The six year old has decided to become an "atro nut" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What i saw:
    66C350E01E86484280BDE540B158BF80-500.jpg

Click for bigger(noisy though!)

I am however quite annoyed i missed the streak of red behind it,Before the fuel cell broke off,But ah well it was hella' cool to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is tonight the only night it will be visible in irish skies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

space station just went hurtling by. Not as impressive though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

will it look the same tomorow?

Suzannem wrote: »
    jumpguy wrote: »
    quote]

does that mean we get to see somthing else?

i havent got a clue what you just said
    The International Space Station (ISS) is the shuttles destination. The shuttle is another mission to build it further. It so far houses 8 astronauts I believe, and more with the shuttle attached. It is a laboratory is space basically and is huge and therefore very bright. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISS

It will be making a pass over Ireland at 11:40 and will be visible to clear skies in the country. It will be starting West and heading out ESE (which is basically near east).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

hold on whats the ISS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Mena wrote: »
    The six year old has decided to become an "atro nut" :D

Cute :)

Advertisement