Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pretty sure I saw the ISS at 23.42... Does the ISS boot it along too? I had assumed that it was all but stationary :o It wasn't as fast as the shuttle, but it was certainly moving fast, only saw it for 2 mins or so. Was afraid I was staring at a plane again :(:D

edit:

Saw the ISS, not the shuttle, at 23.42 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

That was the coolest thing ever!!!! Clear skies in Wexford!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Funny how everyone is alternating between "I seen" and "I saw".
    One post is "I seen" and the next "I saw" :P

Anyway, good show. Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

efla wrote: »
    The ISS is visible most nights, have a look at this website for times

TTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHANNNNNNNNNNNKS!!!!:):D

Dave! wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw the shuttle at 23.42... Does the shuttle boot it along too? I had assumed that it was all but stationary :o It wasn't as fast as the shuttle, but it was certainly moving fast, only saw it for 2 mins or so. Was afraid I was staring at a plane again :(:D

That was the Space Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Saw both the shuttle and the ISS fly over the skies in Waterford. Quite a sight. :)

That was the Space Station.
    I beg your pardon, that's what I meant :) Editing post now :D

Sweet, so I saw both tonight :D

What's the story with tomorrow, what will we see?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

I have seen the Shuttle and ISS pass over in Dublin before but tonight beat that!

Saw Endeavour pass over Shanderry in Offaly. Wonderful sight. Didn't think I would see it due to broken cloud cover but then it just burst into view.

Big thanks to the forum for providing so much info.

Enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

It was absolutley great seeing the fuel tank and ISS tonight! I didnt realise what the ISS was until i looked it up after i saw it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Amazing sight tonight,even the wife got excited by seeing Endeavour blaze across the sky. I've had mates who normally slag off my interest in the shuttle texting me in wonderment at it.

Never seen a shuttle launch generate so much interest before(for good reasons i might add.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Pretty sure I saw the shuttle at 23.42... Does the shuttle boot it along too? I had assumed that it was all but stationary :o It wasn't as fast as the shuttle, but it was certainly moving fast, only saw it for 2 mins or so. Was afraid I was staring at a plane again :(:D
    That was the International Space Station and it's in orbit around the Earth so it's not stationary, no.

How about a night for astronomy, eh? The shuttle was clearly the highlight of things I've ever seen in the night sky, but the ISS twice (and my first time seeing it in such bright daylight at 10:05PM) aswell? Supa stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Yep saw the ISS at about 23:41/42 Very bright light zipping by. Missed the shuttle though :(

I beg your pardon, that's what I meant :) Editing post now :D

Sweet, so I saw both tonight :D

What's the story with tomorrow, what will we see?

Oh right, I didn't mean to sound short! I just thought you were wondering was it a second pass of the Shuttle.

Oh right, I didn't mean to sound short! I just thought you were wondering was it a second pass of the Shuttle.
    Nah just not used to this astro lingo, so called the ISS the shuttle :D I'll never be an 'astro nut' :D

Think this may have reawoken my interest in the sky at night :eek: Gotta dig out the oul telescope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

is there a chance we'll see the shuttle again tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Thread needs more pics.

You can kinda make it out in this pic

spaceoho.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Did anyone get a rumbling sound in the background after it went overhead? is that possible? could have been an airplane in the distance?

+ Were the tanks detached as it flew over, they normally land at sea?where will they land in this case??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ok i seemed to have missed out on all this tonight, i know nothing about astroonmy or anything.can anyone tell me what time to be out in the garden tomorrow night looking up??? im in leixlip if that makes a difference.thank you!!

Fatfrog wrote: »

+ Were the tanks detached as it flew over, they normally land at sea?where will they land in this case??

Nobody knows, best sleep with one eye open tonight, just in case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

Raging I missed this.... thought it would be a 00:30 flyover like scheduled on Sunday and Monday night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

Ok can someone tell me exactly what i saw about 10mins before the ISS, was it the fuel tank(the two dots, one was orange). thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Amazing, the shuttle is just reaching the south coast of Australia....40 minutes after crossing Ireland; I wish a plane journey was as quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

wow wow wow

Seen the shuttle at about 11.21 with the b/f and our neighbour. We were all blown away.

Was delighted to see that it didn't just zip by really quickly,had a good 50-60secs of clear viewing before it disappeared. Is this to do with the light we seen being to the front of the shuttle and not behind?

Most amazing thing I have ever seen in the sky and thanks a million for the tip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Mayoegian wrote: »
    is there a chance we'll see the shuttle again tonight?

Not sure about tonight, the space station should be passing overhead tomorrow night at around 23:20 there are times posted somewhere earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

My neck hurts with all this skygazing.:p

:pac:......G

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Did anyone get a rumbling sound in the background after it went overhead? is that possible? could have been an airplane in the distance?

It must have been something in the distance, as sound doesn't propagate in a vacuum.
    Were the tanks detached as it flew over, they normally land at sea?where will they land in this case??

They land in the Pacific Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Nobody knows, best sleep with one eye open tonight, just in case :D

Well I'll look on the bright side if it dosent kill me its going straight up on E-bay!! 1 giant orange fuel tank for sale, used condition 1 previous owner

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Launch replay currently showing here:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

For anyone that missed the launch itself, NASA TV are going to be doing replays shortly, just prior to the post launch news conference.

http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx (Use with VLC if possible)

Advertisement