Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Fatfrog wrote: »

+ Were the tanks detached as it flew over, they normally land at sea?where will they land in this case??

The two SRBs are floating the in Atlantic off the US East coast, the main fuel tank in orange that could be seen tonight after being punched off the shuttle, I don't know what happens that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Dave! wrote: »
    What's the story with tomorrow, what will we see?
    Plenty, another bright ISS pass, another shuttle pass (the shuttle is now "chasing" the ISS), and lots of other random satellites that may be in the sky. Go to www.heavens-above.com (yerra, go on, it's a great website, got me into astronomy), enter in your co-ordinates of wherever you are in Ireland, and then you can see future ISS passes, shuttle passes (while it's still in space) or even any random bright satellite passes (but none will be as bright as the ISS - the biggest satellite in space atm).

To Fatfrog - As said, the SRBs are in the ocean. The EFT burns in the atmosphere after it falls for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

THANKS RONAN!!!

when will the shuttle be visible tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Suzannem wrote: »
    Ok can someone tell me exactly what i saw about 10mins before the ISS, was it the fuel tank(the two dots, one was orange). thanks in advance

that was the space shuttle that launched tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Did anyone get a rumbling sound in the background after it went overhead? is that possible? could have been an airplane in the distance?

I did, but OH pointed out that it was next door dragging out their wheelie bin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Plenty, another bright ISS pass, another shuttle pass (the shuttle is now "chasing" the ISS), and lots of other random satellites that may be in the sky. Go to www.heavens-above.com (yerra, go on, it's a great website, got me into astronomy), enter in your co-ordinates of wherever you are in Ireland, and then you can see future ISS passes, shuttle passes (while it's still in space) or even any random bright satellite passes (but none will be as bright as the ISS - the biggest satellite in space atm).

To Fatfrog - As said, the SRBs are in the ocean. The EFT burns in the atmosphere after it falls for a while.
    Cheers man :) I'll certainly give it another gaze tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Not sure about tonight, the space station should be passing overhead tomorrow night at around 23:20 there are times posted somewhere earlier in this thread.

As I'm clueless when comes to these things where did you get the time of 23.30 tomorron for iss?
    I am on heavens above site and last sighting I can see is tomorrow at 5pm ish?

Am I reading it wrong?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

night everyone.

thanks for sharing the info.

As soon as i logged on here the first time tonight,i ran out into my back garden and there was the orange fuel tank in the sky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

suzieb wrote: »
    As I'm clueless when comes to these things where did you get the time of 23.30 tomorron for iss?

Am I reading it wrong?
    thanks

It passes over 4-6 times a day but obviously it's easier to see it when it's dark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Night Suzannem

get ready for tomorrow night and see the shuttle " chase " the ISS across the sky :):)

Stargate

• Advertisement

suzieb wrote: »

Am I reading it wrong?
    thanks

Times for tomorrow night's ISS passes:

22:29 - 22:34; brightest: 22:31; West to South; alt.: 65 degrees.
    00:04 - 00:08; brightest: 00:07; West to SSW; alt.: 30 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anybody else in kerry see the red streak behind it,Just before the fuel cell seperated?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so when does endeavour connect with the ISS??

and will they both be visible (joined) in irish skies??

For a quick reference to where "they" are now ....
    try here
    ( they being the shuttle and the ISS )

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

Regards
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

Lads what did the ISS look like? Did it look like a very bright white star, because I saw that moving across the sky and was wondering what it was. As for the Dhuttle, that was class, I'm glad I lucky enough to see it.

fryup wrote: »

Some time on Friday evening/night, I believe.

Yah, they'll combine and the result will mean that the ISS will be ~.1 magnitudes (or so) brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

kleefarr wrote: »
    T -9 and counting.

all that will be visible when they join is the ISS in the sky. the shuttle being docked to it wont make any difference.

your best bet is tomorrow night when the shuttle will be trying to catch up with the ISS.

i.e you will see one bright moving dot chasing the other.

it wont be as bright as it was tonight.

Lads what did the ISS look like? Did it look like a very bright white star, because I saw that moving across the sky and was wondering what it was. As for the Dhuttle, that was class, I'm glad I lucky enough to see it.

Indeed i think we are all " LUCKY " TO SEE SUCH WONDERFUL SIGHTS IN OUR SKIES

Tonight was just amazing :D

Never saw a thread with so many posts LOL ;-)

Stargate

Here's a website that will allow you to follow the progress of the Shuttle relative to the ISS.

If you use this site, you can estimate when the Shuttle will pass, because you'll know when the ISS passes. That's what I do, anyway.

No, it won't be visible when joined to the ISS (it's still there, but difficult to make out at such proximity to the ISS). When it will join with the ISS, the ISS will become slightly more bright, but it'll be impossible to make both out seperately, even with binoculars. You'd need a very powerful telescope for that kinda clarity! :)
    I'm not sure, but I think it's about 2/3 days. Can't find the exact date anywhere atm.

Heavens-Above will probably be updated tomorrow so you can see predictions for the shuttle passes until it's joined to the ISS.

• Advertisement

Here's a website that will allow you to follow the progress of the Shuttle relative to the ISS.

If you use this site, you can estimate when the Shuttle will pass, because you'll know when the ISS passes. That's what I do, anyway.

-JammyDodger-

Maybe you could do a sticky with some tracking info for those on the forum who are new to the shuttle ,iss viewing

Just a thought :)

Regards
    Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Endeavour and ISS rendezvous on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Bodan

I think you can see the shuttle again at around 12:55 am (a.k.a in 35 minutes)

The Nasa website is not up to date yet but by my estimates, we saw the shuttle at 11:20pm and then the space station at 11:40, and the ISS is scheduled to appear at 1:15 am, so id hazard a guess that it should appear around 20 minutes before hand.

Stargate wrote: »
    -JammyDodger-

Maybe you could do a sticky with some tracking info for those on the forum who are new to the shuttle ,iss viewing

Just a thought :)

Regards
    Stargate

I'd love to (and I've said it numerous times) but I'm not a moderator of this forum, unfortunately. We'll have to wait until a mod. of this forum arrives and ask him/her to create the sticky.

ATTENTION!

You can use this website to estimate when the Shuttle will pass over-head again tonight. I don't think the NASA websites are updated yet, but it's possible, using that simulation, to estimate when it'll be visible again tonight.

I'll work out the time and when I know I'll post it in a new thread so people will see it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'd love to (and I've said it numerous times) but I'm not a moderator of this forum, unfortunately. We'll have to wait until a mod. of this forum arrives and ask him/her to create the sticky.

Can we add links to a sticky and just link to there??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ATTENTION!

You can use this website to estimate when the Shuttle will pass over-head again tonight. I don't think the NASA websites are updated yet, but it's possible, using that simulation, to estimate when it'll be visible again tonight.

I'll work out the time and when I know I'll post it in a new thread so people will see it clearly.
    will it follow the same line again?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭just pete

Bodan wrote: »

The Nasa website is not up to date yet but by my estimates, we saw the shuttle at 11:20pm and then the space station at 11:40, and the ISS is scheduled to appear at 1:15 am, so id hazard a guess that it should appear around 20 minutes before hand.

Will it not be too far south of Ireland to see?

Bodan wrote: »

Is the NASA website updated yet though? And does anyone know how long it'll take for heavens-above to update?
    Yeah, a mod should create a sticky for those completely new to astronomy and wanna see satellites and the likes. Or, get one of us to make it and sticky it. We have one for buying a telescope but what about the lad who just wants to see something interesting in the sky?

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    will it follow the same line again?

It will, but due the the rotation of the Earth it will rise and set at different points, and it'll reach a different visual altitude.

Advertisement